Toshiba Flashair SD card + K5 = groundbreaking connectedness(for me)

Started Jan 26, 2014 | Discussions
citrontokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Toshiba Flashair SD card + K5 = groundbreaking connectedness(for me)

k5+ Toshiba Flashair sd wifi card + FA43mm @f1.9 + Google plus photos app or Flickr app.

Here are two experimental shots with the above listed combination. Initially I was suspicious about how the Flashair would work, but it has been so easy to use, it could change how I use my camera altogether.

1. I shot these in Raw on my k5 and processed to jpeg (natural setting)

2. I uploaded the jpegs to my smartphone via the downloadable app. Very quick, very easy. Unlike Eyefi, you can choose which photos to download. The connection speed was very fast.

3. I uploaded to Google+, Flickr directly from my phone for sharing with family. The whole process took less than 2 minutes from Raw development to the cloud.

No Flu cards, no Eyefi compatibility worries.

My k5 is a fantastically "connected" camera now...I highly recommend this card to anyone with a smartphone and "older" digital camera.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,995
Re: Toshiba Flashair SD card + K5 = groundbreaking connectedness(for me)
OP citrontokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 812

Forgot to mention, I got the second generation, 32GB card.

Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
soheil Senior Member • Posts: 2,881

Does it work outdoor? Does it require 4G?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more

Yes, it works outdoors, with no wifi network, as well as indoors with an established wifi network.

It can act as its own router when used with a smartphone or laptop.

4G is not necessary.

thanks for the tip.

Dale

No worries. Using the flashair made me wonder what all the excitement with the flucard and k3 was about. Then I discovered the thing lacking with the flashair is that I you can't use it to remotely control your camera, like I think you're supposed to be able to fo with the flucard.

Holger Bargen Senior Member • Posts: 2,288

Your thread is very helpful for me. Up to now I thought, that K5 and WiFi cards would not work together (maybe because the card slot is to much of a shield agains WiFi waves - I already sas someone making a hole into the slot cover and put an antenna though it). Good to hear that the Toshiba card works fine with K5.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

Holger Bargen wrote:

Your thread is very helpful for me. Up to now I thought, that K5 and WiFi cards would not work together (maybe because the card slot is to much of a shield agains WiFi waves - I already sas someone making a hole into the slot cover and put an antenna though it). Good to hear that the Toshiba card works fine with K5.

Best regards

Holger

I seem to recall reading in the original K-5 manual that it was compatible with "Eye-Fi" cards, Holger, so I have no idea why anyone would be trying to "wire" an aftermarket antenna through the SD card chamber, other than that he or she is some kind of KOOK!  I don't know if the Toshiba card referenced counts as an Eye-Fi card, or something different, but I sure do wish Ricoh would get off their fannies with this supposed Flu-Card that will make the K-3 "tetherable," since that's holding a lot of us up on decisions whether or not we should get some other kind of wireless card, and/or what sort of "smart device" we may want to get for tethering capabilities, for those of us why may not currently have one (plus, those who are wanting to upgrade what they have may be uncertain if their upgrade path would work -- what if it turns out the Flu-Card works only with Android, for instance, and someone goes with an iPhone, or vice versa?). Me? I'd like to know if it will work with tablets, and which ones.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more

Best regards

Holger

I'm glad it helps. For a while I thought the same way as you, but upon checking out each kind of wifi card in detail, I realized that in fact there are many kinds of cards that can be used with pretty much any digital camera no matter how old it is.

I almost bought an Eye-fi card one day, but upon checking the differences with the Flashair, realized that the Flashair offered some advantages.

I hope you find something that works for you.

mmvelasco New Member • Posts: 10

very nice thread/review!

at the end of your thread, it says "I highly recommend this card to anyone with a smartphone and "older" digital camera."

my question is, how old is "older" digital camera? i also purchased this flashair 32gb version 2 but i think its not working with my nikon d90. i thought, this thing will work since i'm using a regular sd hc memory card. when i checked the compatibility list, unfortunately, my nikon model is not listed. 
you might be able to help me. thanks in advance!

robbo d
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,530

This is very interesting...... how does it compare in price vs FLU card for around $100 ?? and especially with 32gb.

So it should work with a tablet as well, what operating system were you using?

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +14 more
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329

robbo d wrote:

This is very interesting...... how does it compare in price vs FLU card for around $100 ?? and especially with 32gb.

So it should work with a tablet as well, what operating system were you using?

I don't have a Toshiba Flash Air (an I'm surprised it worked since I thought there would be incompatibility issues and why didn't see this posting before?) but use an 8gb Transcend WiFi SD card instead and it works really well with my Q and K5II

It does not work like a FLU card in where I can remotely control my camera but can transfer photos or make my phone a separate preview screen. Transferring files is quick too. I just noticed that the card does heat up.

I guess it should be the same with the Toshiba Flash Air, just download the app for your Android or Apple device and just pair them up. It's my main card for the Q and makes the Q so much more fun to use.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Yet another option

is ez@Share wifi cards which work pretty the same like Toshiba. Easy setup and applications for android/apple.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

very nice thread/review!

at the end of your thread, it says "I highly recommend this card to anyone with a smartphone and "older" digital camera."

my question is, how old is "older" digital camera? i also purchased this flashair 32gb version 2 but i think its not working with my nikon d90. i thought, this thing will work since i'm using a regular sd hc memory card. when i checked the compatibility list, unfortunately, my nikon model is not listed. 

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues unless your camera doesn't accept sdhc cards. Basically it records the image files like a regular sdhc card, and that is all. The wifi uses the camera battery power only, the actual wifi connection has nothing to do with the type of camera, thus it should work with any digital camera that accepts SDHC cards.

Check to make sure the d90 can read sdhc cards. If it can and problems still persist, try reinstalling the app, or setting up the card from the beginning again.

I hope that helps.

Larry Buck Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Re: Yet another option

You listed Android and Apple apps. Do you know if there are any Windows Phone app as well?

thanks

Larry Buck's gear list:Larry Buck's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +5 more
I don't think so

while it comes with an application for widows (xp, vista and 7), I don't think it supports windows mobile.

Here is the link to their application page:

http://www.ezshare.com.cn/bgw032052/english/product.asp?Category_id=1

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

Larry Buck Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Re: I don't think so

Thanks Doctor.

I could use it with my Dell Venue Pro tablet or my Ipod Touch so would not need for Windows mobile.

Appreciate your prompt response.

Larry

Larry Buck's gear list:Larry Buck's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +5 more
RAW files can be transferred directly to your desktop or tablet

I think I read somewhere that only JPEG files could be transferred through wifi cards.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Re: RAW files can be transferred directly to your desktop or tablet

soheil wrote:

I think I read somewhere that only JPEG files could be transferred through wifi cards.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil

I think I was able to transfer a RAW file to my phone from the K5II using the Transcend wifi SD

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
mmvelasco New Member • Posts: 10

thanks for the reply!

yes, my nikon d90 do accept sdhc cards. i've been using sandisk ultra 8gb sdhc (see image below) for almost 4 years

i already downloaded the flashair firmware update and flashair tool, but to no avail.

i also followed every step in setting up wireless connectivity (see image below) but still not working.

sandisk 8gb sdhc class 10

instruction on how to connect wirelessly

do you still have something left there that you might make this thing work?

really appreciate your help!

thanks in advance!

citrontokyo wrote:

very nice thread/review!

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues unless your camera doesn't accept sdhc cards. Basically it records the image files like a regular sdhc card, and that is all. The wifi uses the camera battery power only, the actual wifi connection has nothing to do with the type of camera, thus it should work with any digital camera that accepts SDHC cards.

Check to make sure the d90 can read sdhc cards. If it can and problems still persist, try reinstalling the app, or setting up the card from the beginning again.

I hope that helps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads