Thinking of migrating from NEX to Fuji X

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions
dark13star
dark13star Senior Member • Posts: 1,707
Re: Thinking of migrating from NEX to Fuji X

I sold my Nex7, Nex5, and all my lenses to move to Fuji. I did it when the Zeiss Tuit lenses were anounced. I had them both on pre-order, but before I dropped that much money, I decided to see what I was missing from Fuji.  I bought an XE1 and 35mm to test and I soon cancelled my Tuit orders and sold my cameras and lenses. I now have an X100S, XE1, and XE2 with most of the primes and zooms.

The  only lens I actually liked on the Nex was the Zeiss 24 mm. The Fuji lenses are just great.  No regrets here

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
gbert15
OP gbert15 Contributing Member • Posts: 580

dark13star wrote:

I sold my Nex7, Nex5, and all my lenses to move to Fuji. I did it when the Zeiss Tuit lenses were anounced. I had them both on pre-order, but before I dropped that much money, I decided to see what I was missing from Fuji. I bought an XE1 and 35mm to test and I soon cancelled my Tuit orders and sold my cameras and lenses. I now have an X100S, XE1, and XE2 with most of the primes and zooms.

The only lens I actually liked on the Nex was the Zeiss 24 mm. The Fuji lenses are just great. No regrets here

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

Good to hear that! Did u have a hard time selling all your gear and did u take a huge loss?

I actually had a good opportunity already when I sold my nex 7 and other lenses as well but i think this was when the xpro1 was released! It was too expensive and there were a lot of problems especially on af! Wish I made the move to fuji at that point if I only knew a camera like this would come soon so I could have invested in all those solid fuji primes!

gbert15's gear list:gbert15's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Tom Davis Regular Member • Posts: 147

gbert15 wrote:

Tom Davis wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

Nice nice! Thanks for that info on your experience! Basically I am currently shooting with a NEX-6 right now and have the touit 12/2.8, zeiss 24/1.8, sony 55-210, and an adapted Pentax Takumar SMC 50/1.4 and I envy you guys a lot with all these fast lenses at your disposal! My current line up can easily be changed with better lenses if I migrate to fuji! The main selling point though is the 23/1.4 since that is my fav focal length and it seems to be one heck of a lens!

How was your experience though on af speed and the fuji menu system?I know the menu system if the nex is a mess so how much easier was the fuji menu system to use compared to the sony? I wish they had modern bodies though but its not a deal breaker at all! I am shooting with my camera anyway and not taking pics of it! Hehe!

AF speed with the X-E2 is fine, I really see no difference from my experience with the NEX-5t. Of course it's not meant to be a sports camera. But for the work I do in environmental portraiture and Japanese Gardens, it certainly fast enough. And the finder is excellent, especially if you wear eyeglasses as I do. The finder on the X-T1 will be even better.

Fuji has a simple, straightforward, and logically laid-out menu system. But the main point about the X-T1 is that its external controls are so well laid-out that they put every major exposure option within a finger-reach. Which means you simply won't have to use the menus for most any regular setting. And of course there's always the "Q" button to bring up the most used menus if you want them.

If you plan on using native lenses, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Fuji XF lineup. I'll add the 56mm f1.2 when it's out. And I use a Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M for a longer prime when I don't want to use the 55-200 XF zoom which is excellent for landscape work. When Fuji adds a longer prime I'll get that as well. A great lineup and all developed to match the sensor-size.

Thisnis quite comforting to know being that the 5t should have that hybrid phase and contrast detect already and if u see no difference then it should be a good sign! But question is what conditions do u usually shoot in?

Early morning light in a Japanese Garden setting, and then early morning or late afternoon north or east window-light with portraiture (I prefer natural light, don't use flash under most any circumstance). And, yes, the X-E2 focuses as fast as the 5t under those conditions. One thing to note about lenses: the XF 35mm 1.4 uses a relatively noisy AF motor whereas the 23mm 1.4 is much quieter. I'm hoping the 56mm 1.2 is quiet like the 23mm.

Tom Davis's gear list:Tom Davis's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R APD Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +15 more
gbert15

Tom Davis wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

Tom Davis wrote:

gbert15 wrote:

Nice nice! Thanks for that info on your experience! Basically I am currently shooting with a NEX-6 right now and have the touit 12/2.8, zeiss 24/1.8, sony 55-210, and an adapted Pentax Takumar SMC 50/1.4 and I envy you guys a lot with all these fast lenses at your disposal! My current line up can easily be changed with better lenses if I migrate to fuji! The main selling point though is the 23/1.4 since that is my fav focal length and it seems to be one heck of a lens!

How was your experience though on af speed and the fuji menu system?I know the menu system if the nex is a mess so how much easier was the fuji menu system to use compared to the sony? I wish they had modern bodies though but its not a deal breaker at all! I am shooting with my camera anyway and not taking pics of it! Hehe!

AF speed with the X-E2 is fine, I really see no difference from my experience with the NEX-5t. Of course it's not meant to be a sports camera. But for the work I do in environmental portraiture and Japanese Gardens, it certainly fast enough. And the finder is excellent, especially if you wear eyeglasses as I do. The finder on the X-T1 will be even better.

Fuji has a simple, straightforward, and logically laid-out menu system. But the main point about the X-T1 is that its external controls are so well laid-out that they put every major exposure option within a finger-reach. Which means you simply won't have to use the menus for most any regular setting. And of course there's always the "Q" button to bring up the most used menus if you want them.

If you plan on using native lenses, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Fuji XF lineup. I'll add the 56mm f1.2 when it's out. And I use a Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-M for a longer prime when I don't want to use the 55-200 XF zoom which is excellent for landscape work. When Fuji adds a longer prime I'll get that as well. A great lineup and all developed to match the sensor-size.

Thisnis quite comforting to know being that the 5t should have that hybrid phase and contrast detect already and if u see no difference then it should be a good sign! But question is what conditions do u usually shoot in?

Early morning light in a Japanese Garden setting, and then early morning or late afternoon north or east window-light with portraiture (I prefer natural light, don't use flash under most any circumstance). And, yes, the X-E2 focuses as fast as the 5t under those conditions. One thing to note about lenses: the XF 35mm 1.4 uses a relatively noisy AF motor whereas the 23mm 1.4 is much quieter. I'm hoping the 56mm 1.2 is quiet like the 23mm.

Nice nice! I am going for the 23/1.4 and 56/1.2 for sure probably go for the 14/2.8 and 55-200 after! Wish there was something like the 11-16/2.8 though but the prime works fine since I had a 12/2.8 anyway on my nex!

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
howardfuhrman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,054

While I do own any of the Fuji cameras at this time, looking at images posted on this and other forums I  am impressed. The photos of the X-T1, with direct access to aperture, shutter speed and ISO plus an articulating LCD, a great sensor and the excellent Fuji lenses, make this new camera very appealing. I feel if I am going to change systems, Fuji would be one of, if not my top choice.

gbert15

howardfuhrman wrote:

While I do own any of the Fuji cameras at this time, looking at images posted on this and other forums I am impressed. The photos of the X-T1, with direct access to aperture, shutter speed and ISO plus an articulating LCD, a great sensor and the excellent Fuji lenses, make this new camera very appealing. I feel if I am going to change systems, Fuji would be one of, if not my top choice.

Yea thats why I kinda feel this will be the right choice for me cuz even if, by some chance, sony makes a better camera in their nex 6/7 successor, they still dont have the lenses to back it up!

uniball Senior Member • Posts: 1,945

Lenses and jpeg capability. The rest of the hardware is close enough to be a non issue.

A NEX7/CZ I used for 3 weeks versus the XE1 I settled on:  lens line is well thought out and excellent, a delay in the 7's evf activating and better eye relief in the XE1 evf were the standout differences. I preferred the feel and grip of the Sony and it felt like it was built like a tank. Nice job here. But I found the XE1 a pleasure to use and that's important.

gbert15

uniball wrote:

Lenses and jpeg capability. The rest of the hardware is close enough to be a non issue.

A NEX7/CZ I used for 3 weeks versus the XE1 I settled on: lens line is well thought out and excellent, a delay in the 7's evf activating and better eye relief in the XE1 evf were the standout differences. I preferred the feel and grip of the Sony and it felt like it was built like a tank. Nice job here. But I found the XE1 a pleasure to use and that's important.

Nice nice! Thanks for the input! Yea, the nex 7 body was definitely nice but then again that was their flagship aps-c camera so it was more comparable to the x pro 1 in terms of build quality! I do hope the X-T1 carries that nice build quality as well as comfort! From the shape of its body, it seems like it will be!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads