Over exposure

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions
Milamemories Regular Member • Posts: 143
Over exposure

How does the camera tell you if you are over exposed? I have a A55.

Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dlkeller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,922
Re: Over exposure

Your camera metering system sets values for correct exposure.   With the SLT/EVF cameras you should be able to immediately see over or under exposure by looking at the image in the EVF.

-- hide signature --

Dave

OP Milamemories Regular Member • Posts: 143

I have the A55, and have never been able to tell how to do this, would you mind explaining it? Thanks,

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

I have the A55, and have never been able to tell how to do this, would you mind explaining it? Thanks,

You could use the Live Histogram, Review Histogram or simply how an image appears before/after being captured either via Live View or EVF. Review histogram also has blinkies. As a personal preference, I tend to keep LCD brightness on Low to better judge exposure on my a55.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
dlkeller Veteran Member • Posts: 6,922

I'm not sure what you are asking. When you look through the viewfinder if the image looks "washed out" it is overexposed, if it looks "dark" it is under exposed. Also, after you have take a picture look at the review screen and you can make the same determination.

Another option is to use the "Histogram". A well exposed picture should have the peak of the histogram in the center. If the picture is over exposed the peak will be on the right side, if underexposed on the left side.

I'm not that familiar with the A55 so this is just general information of any camera with a live view system whether on the back display or through the Electronic Viewfinder of the Sony AXX models.

Just noticed Einstien post on the Histogram after I Posted this comment.

-- hide signature --

Dave

stan_pustylnik Veteran Member • Posts: 3,928

Milamemories wrote:

How does the camera tell you if you are over exposed? I have a A55.

Just think of -2 to +2 range with -2 being almost black and +2 - almost pure white.

Everything that falls out of this range will be totally underexposed black or pure white - overexposed to no recovery point.

There are tricky situations like weddings where men-in-black are next to bride in pure white dresses. without DRO or HDR you may fail capturing bordering detail.

If your camera shows histogram - learn how to use it.

-- hide signature --

Person is taking photos, not camera. When photograph is bad, it's because photographer doesn't know how to choose settings optimal to "own preferences". Then blames camera for bad IQ.
This is same as blaming car about arriving to wrong destination.
http://stan-pustylnik.smugmug.com

stan_pustylnik's gear list:stan_pustylnik's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
LowRyter Contributing Member • Posts: 796

Not quite sure of your question.  Unless you are shooting Manual mode, the camera should be in perfect exposure considering the camera's program settings.

I seldom use program settings and if I don't like the exposure, I will adjust it the stops with + or - feature and keep taking shots until I am satisfied with the effect.

LowRyter's gear list:LowRyter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
IanML Senior Member • Posts: 1,653

Here's another way, which can help show the effect of incorrect exposure, and give a measure of it. It works with my a33, so it should with your a55:

First select P mode and note the shutter and aperture settings the camera chooses. Now select M mode and alter the settings to get them to the same values they were in P mode. If you are still on the same scene, the numbered scale to the right of the aperture setting should have a triangular cursor over the zero.

Now alter the shutter speed. A slower value will produce over-exposure - the cursor will move towards the positive side of the scale, and the live view picture will get brighter. A faster value will produce under-exposure - the cursor will move towards the negative side of the scale, and the live view picture will get darker.  Each click of the wheel will move the cursor 1/3 of a stop, three clicks will move it a complete stop.

To complete the demonstration, repeat by moving the aperture instead of the shutter setting.  A larger aperture (smaller f number) will produce over-exposure....etc

-- hide signature --

Ian

IanML's gear list:IanML's gear list
Sony SLT-A33 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II +1 more
thebustos Senior Member • Posts: 3,124

On the A55 there should be a scale on the lower right with a -2 on the left side, 0 in the Middle, and +2 on the right side. This is your EV (exposure value) reading. If it's on the ( - ) side it's underexposed, on the ( + ) side overexposed, and if it's on the 0 it's properly exposed. However this is based on the metering mode you have selected. So if you have spot metering selected you would get something different if you switched to multi segment metering. However you still have to use your eyes to see what's going on in the scene. If you don't see a difference in the evf or lcd, you might have setting effects turned off.

However there are a variety of circumstances in which you may still get an overexposed or unexposed image. You may still need to make adjustments to your metering or exposure compensation.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads