Indian Mototcycle

Started Jan 24, 2014 | Discussions
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,467
Indian Mototcycle

Can anyone shed any information on this vintage machine? Seen a couple of days ago in Auburn, California.

dinoSnake Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Re: Indian Mototcycle

It is a Scout, as Chiefs had full skirted fenders.  From the details I can reference, like the Girder forks, it appears to be a 1934-1939 Scout Sport

DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,261

I think they have started making Indian motorcycles a few years ago.

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

DaveOl wrote:

I think you are right Dave. They are also making the old Royal Enfield in India. The RE was my last bike back in 1967, an old Crusader. I wanted the Crusader Sports but my dad wouldn't get me one. he thought I would kill myself, he was probably right! I had enough close calls with the old "plodder". Great times though.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Muhammad Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more

The modern history of Indian is a horror story, from the "Gilroy" Indians to that Indian investor who collected venture capital and then disappeared....

In the motorcycle world, we knew that the Indian name had been dragged through the mud. The magazine articles that covered the next Indian story instalment always took a 'now what?' attitude - for the past 15 years, it was a soap opera.

But the Indian trademark is now owned by Bombardier, the parent company of Victory, Can-Am and Ski-Doo. Victory had poured hundreds of millions into the new Indian and now, after years of promises that (almost) never came true (except for a short time), Victory had an all-new, proprietary drivetrain in the brand new, 2014 Indians. Hopefully things will go well from here.

Severn Bore Regular Member • Posts: 126

See the feature film The Worlds Fastest Indian with Sir Anthony Hopkins. A late Uncle of mine had an Indian motorcycle in the 1930s

Severn Bore's gear list:Severn Bore's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
mjp29 New Member • Posts: 1

Nice motorcycle pic!

RUcrAZ
OP RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,467

Thank you, here's another view

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593

happysnapper64 wrote:

DaveOl wrote:

I think you are right Dave.

Indian motorcycles, in its latest continuous run, has operated since 2006.

They are also making the old Royal Enfield in India.

The actual Indian company doesn't. Only three models are currently produced, and in America.

The RE was my last bike back in 1967, an old Crusader. I wanted the Crusader Sports but my dad wouldn't get me one. he thought I would kill myself, he was probably right! I had enough close calls with the old "plodder". Great times though.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Muhammad Ali.

dinoSnake wrote:

The modern history of Indian is a horror story, from the "Gilroy" Indians to that Indian investor who collected venture capital and then disappeared....

In the motorcycle world, we knew that the Indian name had been dragged through the mud. The magazine articles that covered the next Indian story instalment always took a 'now what?' attitude - for the past 15 years, it was a soap opera.

But the Indian trademark is now owned by Bombardier, the parent company of Victory, Can-Am and Ski-Doo.

No, it's owned by Polaris, who also own Victory. Bombardier, as far as I know, has never made or owned a motorcycle company.

Victory had poured hundreds of millions into the new Indian and now, after years of promises that (almost) never came true (except for a short time), Victory had an all-new, proprietary drivetrain in the brand new, 2014 Indians. Hopefully things will go well from here.

hjr13
hjr13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,546

RUcrAZ wrote:

Can anyone shed any information on this vintage machine? Seen a couple of days ago in Auburn, California.

I love the suicide shifter on the old Indian bikes.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic LX100

hjr13 wrote

It was workable 70 years ago, on 2 lane 'highways' and a 45 MPH average traffic speed.  In today's world, "suicide" would be an excellent descriptive of their usage.

TJL LTFF
TJL LTFF Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

Severn Bore wrote:

See the feature film The Worlds Fastest Indian with Sir Anthony Hopkins. A late Uncle of mine had an Indian motorcycle in the 1930s

Wonderful movie.

TJL LTFF's gear list:TJL LTFF's gear list
Sony RX1R II Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +10 more
hjr13
hjr13 Senior Member • Posts: 2,546

dinoSnake wrote:

hjr13 wrote

It was workable 70 years ago, on 2 lane 'highways' and a 45 MPH average traffic speed. In today's world, "suicide" would be an excellent descriptive of their usage.

It was an excellent description even back then. I said i loved that they did that, as in a weird fascination. I myself wouldn't want to use it.

hjr13's gear list:hjr13's gear list
Panasonic LX100
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

Basalite wrote:

happysnapper64 wrote:

DaveOl wrote:

I think you are right Dave.

Indian motorcycles, in its latest continuous run, has operated since 2006.

They are also making the old Royal Enfield in India.

The actual Indian company doesn't. Only three models are currently produced, and in America.

The RE was my last bike back in 1967, an old Crusader. I wanted the Crusader Sports but my dad wouldn't get me one. he thought I would kill myself, he was probably right! I had enough close calls with the old "plodder". Great times though.

Basalite, I apologize as I said "they" Indicating that I meant the Indian Co. I actually meant or should have said, that the Royal Enfield is being made in India.... My mistake. I always associate the Indian bikes with The keystone Cops & old Gangster movies, where the bike had the left hand throttle grip, so the cop could use his gun with the right hand.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Clay King Regular Member • Posts: 306

hjr13 wrote:

dinoSnake wrote:

hjr13 wrote

It was workable 70 years ago, on 2 lane 'highways' and a 45 MPH average traffic speed. In today's world, "suicide" would be an excellent descriptive of their usage.

It was an excellent description even back then. I said i loved that they did that, as in a weird fascination. I myself wouldn't want to use it.

Actually it is not a suicide shifter.  It is a jockey shift with a suicide clutch.  The suicide part refers to the tendency for the clutch to let the bike take off on you.  The suicide clutch is foot activated.  This set up is similar to driving a car.

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more

Clay King wrote:

Actually it is not a suicide shifter. It is a jockey shift with a suicide clutch. The suicide part refers to the tendency for the clutch to let the bike take off on you. The suicide clutch is foot activated. This set up is similar to driving a car.

Indeed.  We riders are fortunate to live in a time wirh standardized controls, makes life a lot easier (and safer too)!  That, and universal front disk brakes.

Clay King Regular Member • Posts: 306

dinoSnake wrote:

Clay King wrote:

Actually it is not a suicide shifter. It is a jockey shift with a suicide clutch. The suicide part refers to the tendency for the clutch to let the bike take off on you. The suicide clutch is foot activated. This set up is similar to driving a car.

Indeed. We riders are fortunate to live in a time wirh standardized controls, makes life a lot easier (and safer too)! That, and universal front disk brakes.

God love my front brake!!  I hate to think what it would be like without it...

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 18,681

dinoSnake wrote:

It is a Scout, as Chiefs had full skirted fenders. From the details I can reference, like the Girder forks, it appears to be a 1934-1939 Scout Sport

Is that a static clutch pedal?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more

dinoSnake wrote:

Clay King wrote:

Indeed. We riders are fortunate to live in a time wirh standardized controls, makes life a lot easier (and safer too)! That, and universal front disk brakes.

Doesn't help reduce the idiot drivers and poor roads. I learned how to ride motorcycles before I learned how to drive a car and it didn't take me long to realize my life expectancy would be greatly increased if I stuck to cars. 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads