Trip to Yucatan Peninsula - Put me Out of My Misery

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions
bgalb
bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,081
Trip to Yucatan Peninsula - Put me Out of My Misery

I have seen numerous threads on "What Should I Do?" and have always thought, "Don't these people know their own mind?"  Now "These People" are ME.   I am agonizing over taking my E-M1 or E-M5 along with an old E-Pl3.

We are visiting my daughter's family who live in Merida, Mexico for ten days.

E-M1 - I have it customized with just the mysets and other settings that make it sooo easy to use and it is sooo ergonomic.  But it is bigger, more obtrusive, and heavier than the E-M5.

E-M5 - It is smaller, lighter, and looks like a typical superzoom point and shoot to most people.  Doesn't draw so much attention.  But it is not quite so easy to quickly change shooting parameters now that the E-M1 has spoiled me. And it arguably has a little more noise above base ISO.

I will probably use the E-Pl3 mostly for street shooting, anyway.  I am very conscious of cultural relations and don't want to be offensive in any way.

Have tenatively decided to take the E-M5, but every few days I change my mind.

Any opinions?

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +3 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 11,859
Re: Trip to Yucatan Peninsula - Put me Out of My Misery

bgalb wrote:

I have seen numerous threads on "What Should I Do?" and have always thought, "Don't these people know their own mind?" Now "These People" are ME. I am agonizing over taking my E-M1 or E-M5 along with an old E-Pl3.

E-M1 - I have it customized with just the mysets and other settings that make it sooo easy to use and it is sooo ergonomic. But it is bigger, more obtrusive, and heavier than the E-M5.

E-M5 - It is smaller, lighter, and looks like a typical superzoom point and shoot to most people. Doesn't draw so much attention. But it is not quite so easy to quickly change shooting parameters now that the E-M1 has spoiled me. And it arguably has a little more noise above base ISO.

I will probably use the E-Pl3 mostly for street shooting, anyway. I am very conscious of cultural relations and don't want to be offensive in any way.

Any opinions?

I'm about to switch back to the E-M5 for a week or so. My hunch, as I still use the E-M5 occasionally, is that the reason you have a tough decision is because both cameras will do fine, and you'd end up being happy with either.

So, what I'm getting at is the best solution is probably to flip a coin.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +8 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,124

bgalb wrote:

I have seen numerous threads on "What Should I Do?" and have always thought, "Don't these people know their own mind?" Now "These People" are ME. I am agonizing over taking my E-M1 or E-M5 along with an old E-Pl3.

E-M1 - I have it customized with just the mysets and other settings that make it sooo easy to use and it is sooo ergonomic. But it is bigger, more obtrusive, and heavier than the E-M5.

E-M5 - It is smaller, lighter, and looks like a typical superzoom point and shoot to most people. Doesn't draw so much attention. But it is not quite so easy to quickly change shooting parameters now that the E-M1 has spoiled me. And it arguably has a little more noise above base ISO.

I will probably use the E-Pl3 mostly for street shooting, anyway. I am very conscious of cultural relations and don't want to be offensive in any way.

Any opinions?

If I were going, what would you advise me?    

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha 7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Weegee
Weegee Senior Member • Posts: 1,674
That's all you'd ever need.

For your vacation. I heading for Roatan Sat. morning and that's my gear.

bgalb
OP bgalb Senior Member • Posts: 2,081

If it were you, I would say, "Take the E-M1".

I may just ask my wife.  That's almost like flipping a coin.  She will probably say, "Take the little cute one".

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +3 more
Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,814

Then take that one, if that is the one you feel most comfortable with.  I don't have that problem since I just have the E-M5 which survived the heat and humidity of SE Asia so I'm happy with it.

bgalb wrote:

If it were you, I would say, "Take the E-M1".

I may just ask my wife. That's almost like flipping a coin. She will probably say, "Take the little cute one".

johnCam Regular Member • Posts: 169

What do I know?  I would simply take your best camera. In my view, the EM1. Then you will not spend time wishing you had. Have a great trip either way.

johnCam's gear list:johnCam's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +1 more
El Chubasco
El Chubasco Contributing Member • Posts: 601

I suppose the em1 is a recent parchase. Why don't you bring your new toy and play with it?

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +12 more
Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 4,845

bgalb wrote:

Any opinions?

Both the E-M1 and E-M5 are small cameras (I own five of the Olympus E series of four thirds cameras), so why not take both bodies.  Your lenses will work on both, and as a new owner of the E-M1, I would certainly not leave that one behind.  Enjoy your time with family.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II
reygon Senior Member • Posts: 2,037

Is this the safe side of Mexico or the usual crowded and could be risky (for thief, robber and snatching) city/town?

If the usual, then I suggest the smaller kit not the EM-1.  Play safe

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,426
Don't worry - take the E-M1

reygon wrote:

Is this the safe side of Mexico or the usual crowded and could be risky (for thief, robber and snatching) city/town?

If the usual, then I suggest the smaller kit not the EM-1. Play safe

The thieves will not know the difference. Take your best camera...it's more likely to be stolen in your home country that it is in Mexico. Merida and Yucatan have low crime rates and are almost unaffected by the cartels...who wouldn't be interested in your camera anyways. DSLRs are not an uncommon site in Mexico...they are very popular with middle class Mexicans. When I walk around my wife's home town in Mexico I'm rarely the only one wielding a large-ish camera. I cannot count how many days I've spent walking around with my D2X unmolested...and it's a damn sight bigger than an E-M1!

That said...the rules of common sense apply  As reygon said, play safe.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Dave Sanders Senior Member • Posts: 2,426

reygon wrote:

If the usual, then I suggest the smaller kit not the EM-1. Play safe

The thieves will not know the difference. Take your best camera...it's more likely to be stolen in your home country that it is in Mexico. Merida and Yucatan have low crime rates and are almost unaffected by the cartels...who wouldn't be interested in your camera anyways. DSLRs are not an uncommon site in Mexico...they are very popular with middle class Mexicans. When I walk around my wife's home town in Mexico I'm rarely the only one wielding a large-ish camera. I cannot count how many days I've spent walking around with my D2X unmolested...and it's a damn sight bigger than an E-M1!

That said...the rules of common sense apply As reygon said, play safe.

-- hide signature --

Dave Sanders

Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,686

Get the GM1 with kit lens?

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads