Why is there no love for the HX300..?

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Why is there no love for the HX300..?

why I prefer the HX50V:

HX300 lacks GPS, and tests stated IQ of the HX50V seems to be a bit better

by the way, it is rumored, that at CP+ Show there will be a a new super-zoom bridge camera with a very fast processor

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,619

Two years ago, Canon introduced the SX40 and Sony, the HX200V. Last year, they both produced new cameras with 50X lenses, which is too much for this type of camera. Try to find an HX200V or an SX40, as I think they are better in most ways, than the newer ones.

But it is close to the time for new models to be released, so waiting to consider them would be a good idea, before buying anything. However, I'm not hopeful that new models will be any better, as reducing zoom power is not approved by the marketing departments of these companies.

Carole M
Carole M Regular Member • Posts: 135

PAUL TILL wrote:

Carole M wrote:

I do love it, sole purpose for this zoom was for record-bird-photography opportunities.

And what do those bird shots look like, resized to a minimum of say 1920 pixels on the long side?

Paul I don't claim to be 10% smarter than this camera; I'm just dabbling - finding my way. These photos are not for any purpose other than my opportunity to gain a 'record-shot' as already stated.

Sure, I'd really love to get CRISPER photos - but that's asking for big-dollar results for a small-dollar outlay. It's not going to happen, it's expecting too much.

If you have suggestions, as to settings to gain better photo-opportunities for birds especially; I'll take them on board with gratitude.

You asked for 'photos' and I've resized them as you suggested 1920 pixels/longest side.  Always hand-held.

Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike

Superb Fairy Wren

Eastern Rosella-pair

elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,360

Carole M wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

Carole M wrote:

I do love it, sole purpose for this zoom was for record-bird-photography opportunities.

And what do those bird shots look like, resized to a minimum of say 1920 pixels on the long side?

Paul I don't claim to be 10% smarter than this camera; I'm just dabbling - finding my way. These photos are not for any purpose other than my opportunity to gain a 'record-shot' as already stated.

Sure, I'd really love to get CRISPER photos - but that's asking for big-dollar results for a small-dollar outlay. It's not going to happen, it's expecting too much.

If you have suggestions, as to settings to gain better photo-opportunities for birds especially; I'll take them on board with gratitude.

You asked for 'photos' and I've resized them as you suggested 1920 pixels/longest side. Always hand-held.

Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike

Superb Fairy Wren

Eastern Rosella-pair

This was all words, finally some photos. I would be very happy with these shots, and I think the comment about wanting big money results from this model is probably the heart of it.

I have seen many very nice photos from this model posted here.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Aisse Gaertner
Aisse Gaertner Contributing Member • Posts: 871

You asked for 'photos' and I've resized them as you suggested 1920 pixels/longest side. Always hand-held.

Superb Fairy Wren

Eastern Rosella-pair

I see that you are using automatic mode... the constant 1/250 speed and ISO800/1600. 
The best way to get good shots is stay away from automatic mode!
Push youself and try new modes! Try using burst mode and choose the best pic at home.
I have found my way to get some usable shots out HX300 and I happy with it.

Aisse Gaertner's gear list:Aisse Gaertner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Irix 15mm F2.4 +1 more
Carole M

Eastern Rosella-pairI see that you are using automatic mode... the constant 1/250 speed and ISO800/1600.
The best way to get good shots is stay away from automatic mode!
Push youself and try new modes! Try using burst mode and choose the best pic at home.
I have found my way to get some usable shots out HX300 and I happy with it.

Thanks Aisse for your suggestion; I usually do opt for A-mode, but in this inst. where you calculate automatic -------------- that was more than likely in Sports Mode.  I have been trying this since the birds often shift quickly as you well know.

I have tried S-mode but then can't get the light into the camera (unless I up the ISO).  It seems Sports does that itself too.

I'll give burst mode a go

Aisse Gaertner

Try this
P mode, normal color -, Contrast -, NR -, Central focus, 10 photos per second and -0.7EV.
ISO200 even under good light conditions. On tripod you can go ISO80 and 2s timer(press shutter and take hands off the camera).

Carole M

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

Try this
P mode, normal color -, Contrast -, NR -, Central focus, 10 photos per second and -0.7EV.
ISO200 even under good light conditions. On tripod you can go ISO80 and 2s timer(press shutter and take hands off the camera).

Thanks for the tip Aisse; I'll give it a shot and report back if I strike gold

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,369

You were so enthusiastic over the HX300 I went and got one from Best Buy.  (Open box special so the price was enticing - I would not have paid full price since I already have too many cameras.)   The image stabilization at 50X handheld is absolutely steady like you said.  And the autofocus misses focus much less frequently than my Canon SX40.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +22 more
Rehabdoc Contributing Member • Posts: 919

Build quality may be above average, and I'm sure it's a fine camera for what it does, but it's definitely got nothing that particularly stands out compared to its competition. Cameras don't exist in a vacuum, they fit into a very competitive ecosystem.

It's very hard for a small sensor fixed lens camera to make people get excited, but Sony (and Fuji I suppose) managed to do so with a few of their high priced offerings the last couple years. RX10 and RX100 have stood out because in a high percentage of circumstances where you would find yourself taking a picture, you can get images that are "good enough", "very good", or even "great". RX100 goes almost anywhere, and RX10 lets you leave your home without a bag of gear, and they let you get pictures good enough so that you don't say "damn, I have a pit in my stomach because I didn't bring my DSLR to get a better version of shot."

edform
edform Senior Member • Posts: 5,216

I was intrigued by one poster to this thread who said the the very long zoom of the HX300 was 'too long for this kind of camera.' Why would that be the case?

The fact is, these long zoom bridge cameras can give startlingly good results. I've not owned a Sony example, but I bought myself a Nikon P510 some while back, and on the day that I got it I took the photo below from an upstairs window, looking out at the iron railings of our rear garden. The shot was handheld at full zoom [1000mm equivalent] and is absolutely pin sharp - look at the spiders webs!

Handheld at 1000mm equivalent.

Blown up to 100% the noise is obvious but at reasonable print sizes it doesn't affect the results. I've held a big canon with a 600mm lens on the front, and without a bean bag or a tripod, or a convenient tussock of grass, taking pictures is all but impossible, purely because the thing is huge and weighs a ton. As the OP said, his RX300 gets him useable shots at 1200mm equivalent in his hands - for convenience and versatility alone the camera has an honourable place in the photographich spectrum.

-- hide signature --

Ed Form

edform's gear list:edform's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +2 more
Aisse Gaertner
All hendheld... Why not love HX300?
Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Some Mid-day Samples - Sharing the Luv

Hand held of course.  Wish the camera allowed playback viewing in the EVF!

Carole M
Re: Reply to Aisse

I gave it a shot Aisse ------- but I wasn't sure where to select 10 photos/second; I see Bracket takes x 4, and Burst x 7 only I think?

I'll work with this more and thank you again Aisse for offering some great suggestions. I've cropped the lower segment of the original because it was heavily shaded.

Eastern Rosella, female

Carole M
Re: reply to Dodge_Rock

Fabulous images ---- I'd like to wangle the higher shutter speed like you have here, just in case the bird/s shift just as I press the shutter. My sample photo/EXIF info tonight doesn't seem to offer that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads