Piezographic or Epson/Canon??

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions
dahod Regular Member • Posts: 375
Piezographic or Epson/Canon??

I'm hoping to move more into black and white with both my photos and printing (up to about 13x19 on a hobby basis) . I have an HP BP9180 that's been good for colour but black and white has been a problem.

Both Canon and Epson have printers with more black inks now that have been getting some good reviews and there's also been some good reviews on the Piezographic alternative. As expected, none of these options are cheap so I want to make sure I get this right.

Any recommendations or experiences??

Thanks for your help

Dave

Droppingin Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: Piezographic or Epson/Canon??

I have only used a Canon printer, the Pro-10, and the b&w's are excellent without the slightest hint of a color cast. I convert them in PS to b&w first.

I have had the printer for about a month and half and am very impressed with the color too.

-- hide signature --

Its easy to be a holy man on a mountain top.

Droppingin's gear list:Droppingin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
OP dahod Regular Member • Posts: 375
Thanks - couple of questions

Hi and thanks for posting.  I've heard a lot of good things about the Pro 10.  I was wondering if you've noticed any gloss differential looking at different angles.  Also, with 14ml tanks and 3 blacks do you find you need to change cartridges frequently when doing a large B&W?

Thanks

Dave

Droppingin Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Re: Thanks - couple of questions

Generally speaking, the printer is quite conservative in ink use. I have printed about 50+ 8.5X11's and about 12 13X19's. Most were color with a few b&w.

Its very hard to quantify ink usage but I used at least one full set of carts plus extra black to produce those numbers above. The red is used the least. The blacks seemed to be used the most for the images I print.

Gloss differential is practically zero; virtually no bronzing or differentials when viewing at angles on either the color or b&w prints. I do click the Overall button to coat the entire image with chroma optimizer, except on glossy paper, therefore that cart was replaced a couple of times.

I know this is very vague. The carts run out at completely different times and different rates and it is difficult to remember what and when. I can say the prints are as professional as can be and everyone that sees them are amazed that I printed them at home. I use all Canon paper and oem ink.

It is also very quiet and if a tv or radio is on, you will not hear it in the background.

-- hide signature --

Its easy to be a holy man on a mountain top.

Droppingin's gear list:Droppingin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 8,045
Re: Piezographic or Epson/Canon??

I got into specialized black and white printed about 10 years ago. At that time there were few options. You used an Epson with special black ink carts which were not supported by the printer manufacture. I had all sorts of issues with head clogging, etc and the results were not that great and you had to switch inks if you wanted a warm tone vs. a cold tone print. At that time Piezographic inks were probably the best.

Today things are vastly different - there are a lot of good pigment based printers that support advanced B&W printing. You can still go the custom ink route, see ink supply.com or the piczographic route. However, you don't need to at least at the start. Epson seems to be more advanced than other printers simply because they have been at the pigment inks longer and the specialized Black and white longer. I have the R3000. It is a wonderful printer. I will do both matte and glossy papers. I am sure Canon has a competitor but Epson has been around this game a long time.

The inks are quite good and if you decide to go the dedicated B&W ink sets this printer is well supported. However, the first thing I recommend is you get on the digital Black and White printing yahoo group DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint.  It is a very good group with every experienced and knowledgable people that have been at digital black white printing for a long time. You might also want to check out inksupply.com

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +8 more
Thanks

Great information - thanks.

Dave

Thanks for the information

Truman

Thanks very much for the information - it puts a lot of things into perspective.  Also, I appreciate the pointer to the Yahoo user group, I'll check it out.

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads