Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions
DaveOl
DaveOl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,313
Re: Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

Take the 6D and also the S100.  You can always leave the big camera in your room, if you don't want to carry it.  I usually carry my D 300s and a p&s camera in my pocket when I go somewhere photographic.

When you get to Ocho Rios in Jamaica definitely leave the DSLR in your room and just take the S 100.  We went there and I never really felt safe.  We were warned not to take any walking tours from people on the street.  The crime rate there was very high.  Your DSLR represents a lot of money to those people.

Make sure you have insurance on your equipment.  I have a rider policy that cost me $ 58/yr for $ 5800 of coverage, even droppage.

DaveOl's gear list:DaveOl's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E2S
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,772
use it or loose it

Why buy FF and not take it on a photo opportunity? I mean, are you saving it to take photos of your back yard? I live for vacations, and only go FF. No way could I live w/a smaller camera - they just don't have the horse power for the opportunities. Save the smaller cameras for snapshots and friends.

Listen. A cruise is absolutely the easiest trip to take luggage on. I just came back from a month in Asia, walking ten hours every day. If you can't carry your FF gear on what is basically a moving hotel room, you might as well sell it.

98% of everything I shoot is on field trips. Check out my contest entries. If I left my dSLR behind I've have nothing.

But I guess it depends on what your priorities are. For me, getting the shot IS the fun. Others may just want snapshots (which is fine, of course, but YOU brought FF to do something more--didn't you?)

Craig Gillette Veteran Member • Posts: 9,845
Re: We can't help you with this.

If you are asking, then the little camera is fine.  IMHO, anyways.  If you couldn't live without the 6D you'd already know that.  However, there are differences in how and what you shoot, what the people you are going with are going to be doing.  Etc., etc.  Prints?  How big?  Sharing?  Only on screen. No largish prints, no low light?

Yes the RX100 is a serious step up from the S100.  And there aps-c compacts which step up from there.  Nor can "we" leave out the m43rds.  Or we can, actually.

Here's what I'm doing these days.  Going to Italy.  May be my only trip.  Ever.  To that part of the world.  Just got an NEX-6 with the kit lens.  I have a D200 and a couple of lenses, 50/1.8, a 12-24 Tokina, 18-70 and 70-300.  I doubt I'd have used the 70-300 much but am kicking myself that there will be some detail type shots, etc., I'm going to miss.  (Not withstanding it never came out of the backpack on my trip to Washington, DC).  I'm really more likely to miss the 12-24.  I thought about just upgrading the D200 to the D7100 but I really don't need or want to carry all of that.  Well, I do but I don't...  So I understand the dilemma.  I even thought, go with the D5300 but it won't drive the 12-24 - which by the time I replaced the wide, I'd be at D7100 dollars and not needing the new wide.  But due to some job changes, can't really afford to flesh out the NEX and more lenses it seems.  My wife really wants this to be a family trip and not just a photo expedition.  We want to see things, may be moving around a lot and may not have a lot of time for concentrated slow picture taking.

Howevr, I've been practicing with it - and it is different!  and I'm getting some kinds of shots that I can't with the D200 (otoh, under other circumstances, the D200 does things the MEX doesn't).

So if nothing else, I feel your pain.  But not sure we can help.  Becuase it's the things you do or need that answer the questions.

OP Clay King Regular Member • Posts: 306

DaveOl wrote:

Take the 6D and also the S100. You can always leave the big camera in your room, if you don't want to carry it. I usually carry my D 300s and a p&s camera in my pocket when I go somewhere photographic.

When you get to Ocho Rios in Jamaica definitely leave the DSLR in your room and just take the S 100. We went there and I never really felt safe. We were warned not to take any walking tours from people on the street. The crime rate there was very high. Your DSLR represents a lot of money to those people.

Good info to have, and that may be the biggest reason for my post.  I don't want to have anything happen to my 6D.

Make sure you have insurance on your equipment. I have a rider policy that cost me $ 58/yr for $ 5800 of coverage, even droppage.

Another good idea that I should look into... Thanks.

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Re: use it or loose it

tko wrote:

Why buy FF and not take it on a photo opportunity? I mean, are you saving it to take photos of your back yard? I live for vacations, and only go FF. No way could I live w/a smaller camera - they just don't have the horse power for the opportunities. Save the smaller cameras for snapshots and friends.

My FF gets plenty of use, even if I decide not to take it on this trip.  I've got kids in school and sports, and we have a large family with many events going on.  I bought 6D for the high ISO capabilities that are needed in HS gyms, dark family rooms, college recital halls, and such.  I sold my 7D when I discovered how well the 6D worked for sports.  And before anybody says the 7D is better, I will testify now that aside from frame rate, when you need high ISO the 6D is my choice over the 7D every time.

Listen. A cruise is absolutely the easiest trip to take luggage on. I just came back from a month in Asia, walking ten hours every day. If you can't carry your FF gear on what is basically a moving hotel room, you might as well sell it.

I agree.  I just don't want to let it out of my sight for the plane trip (that means it will be carry on).  And I don't want to risk it in a place like Jamaica.

98% of everything I shoot is on field trips. Check out my contest entries. If I left my dSLR behind I've have nothing.

But I guess it depends on what your priorities are. For me, getting the shot IS the fun. Others may just want snapshots (which is fine, of course, but YOU brought FF to do something more--didn't you?)

I am currently leaning towards taking both... However, that may change when the day gets closer.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Pitbullo Contributing Member • Posts: 561

Why dont you take both the 6D and the S100? The 6D with the 40mm, and the S100 instead of a bunch of lenses. I´d never go on any holiday without my dslr. Why spend loads of money on a great camera and not use it on vactions? Capture memories with the best camera you got! That is why you got it, isn´t it?

Hans Bolte Senior Member • Posts: 1,403

Lumixdude wrote:

If anything, you may regret getting home and not being able to blow up some really great shots to anything bigger than 14x12s. When you do travel photography your eyes are wide open and you get some real opportunities to get some nice wall hangers. These days I wouldn't travel with anything less than µ4/3 camera. Bodies are so cheap that you can get high IQ large scale prints and not break the bank.

This was taken in St. Maarten with my S100 and printed beautifully at 13x19.

That said, if I were doing an Alaska cruise I'd bring the DSLR. A Caribbean cruise will not have the great shots that require a DSLR unless you are doing wildlife or other photography that requires larger lenses like this from St. Kitts:

-- hide signature --
 Hans Bolte's gear list:Hans Bolte's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM

Hans Bolte wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

If anything, you may regret getting home and not being able to blow up some really great shots to anything bigger than 14x12s. When you do travel photography your eyes are wide open and you get some real opportunities to get some nice wall hangers. These days I wouldn't travel with anything less than µ4/3 camera. Bodies are so cheap that you can get high IQ large scale prints and not break the bank.

That said, if I were doing an Alaska cruise I'd bring the DSLR. A Caribbean cruise will not have the great shots that require a DSLR unless you are doing wildlife or other photography that requires larger lenses like this from St. Kitts:

Gorgeous pics.  That makes it very hard to justify bringing the 6D.  The S100 is a very capable camera.  Thanks for reminding me.

Voyageur du Monde New Member • Posts: 22

Hans Bolte wrote:

And this was taken with the 5D2:

ubi_amatur_non_laboratur Regular Member • Posts: 185
One vote for taking it all!

Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) from departing cruise ship looking to sea.

Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale) from departing cruise ship. Looking inland to FLL.

Take it all. The case for having the smaller camera is made every evening at dinner. Many an occasion shows up, and the DSLR is clunky for that particular situation.

May I recommend your DSLR for those low light shots? Many of my favorite pictures while on cruises were at the magic light moments, from the decks or from the gallery of the cabin. Leaving Fort Lauderdale in the evening gives great views of the harbour. Do not stay in your cabin, there are great shots to be taken because the ships often leave with the evening light, you have a special perspective with the height of the ship, and there are numerous points of interest in and around the harbour.

As for Ocho Rios, stay with your group tour and you should have no trouble. If you decide to walk Dunn's River Falls, then prepare to get wet.

As others have stated, why have the DSLR if not to use it on the special occasions? You can leave anything safely in your room. Cruising is great for that, in the sense that each day in port, I choose a different lens and work with what I have!

I am quite sure the average photographer will get as good results from both. I enjoy having the DSLR. YMMV.

Ubi

-- hide signature --

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is
more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius
is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved
and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge
30th president of US (1872 - 1933)
WSSA member #119

ubi_amatur_non_laboratur's gear list:ubi_amatur_non_laboratur's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,088

I took a D-300, 12x24, 70-300 + a Sony P&S for almost the same trip you're going on. Did not regret the choice I made.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads