Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

Started Jan 23, 2014 | Discussions
Selene Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Which Camera to take on a Cruise??? 6D or S100

stevo23 wrote:

Clay King wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

Really? You're going on a holiday and you want to lug around a full frame DSLR and a bag full of lenses? The S100 is a better choice, but I'd look at getting a small APS-C camera, you'd pick up an EOS M for next to nothing in todays market and make full use of maybe one or two of your lenses with an EF mount. You'd also love to have the 22mm prime for what you're doing as well.

I wasn't planning on a bag full, maybe just the 40 pancake, the 85 f/1.8 and the 70-300 IS USM. Instead of the 85, I could take the 24-105 or a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I hadn't thought about the eos-m, but I can get one of them with the 18-55 on it for $356 on amazon right now, and that might be the way to go. Price goes up to $399 for the 22 prime...

Thanks for the idea, I am going to have to think long and hard about that...

That was bad advice Clay and I'm sorry you had to hear it. The S100 is OK, but not worthy. For a small travel camera, look at a Fuji X20 or Sony RX100 for instance. But in truth, if you're on a cruise, one 6D and one 24-105 is not a huge burden.

But really, there is no contest here - take the 6D. You don't need the pancake although it's stellar. Your primary lens on a trip like that where you want to economize should be your 24-105. Next you want a portrait type lens like the 85. But even just the 24-105 is possibly all you need. You get near ultra wide to portrait length.

+1 You should take both cameras: the 6D with the 24-105 maybe and maybe a longer zoom. The 40mm pancake weighs nothing. This setup will get you beautiful shots in a beautiful place. The 6D is relatively light and with a good shoulder strap--the inexpensive op-tech, easy to carry. Why have a good camera if you don't take it where you have the opportunity for fabulous pictures. When I travel I also take my Sony RX-100. It takes terrific pictures and is a good out and about camera for either street shots or in places where you don't want to be conspicuous with your equipment. The S100 is not as good as the RX-100, but it is not bad either and will make an easy to carry second camera.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400

Sounds like for you the main thing about the trip would be the quality of enlargements you could print after it was over.  That's what I mean by photography being the main reason for the trip.  I didn't get that impression necessarily from the O.P.'s reason for his upcoming trip, though.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,020
I think it depends on your goals of the trip

I took a 10 day cruise of the Caribbean a few years ago. (I would LOVE to do it again!).  I found very little need for long lenses and fancy equipment. I shot mostly snapshots and scenics easily handled by a normal to wide angled lens.  I was quite content with the quality of the photos I took overall, and did not regret refusing to allow myself to have to deal with photo 'stuff'.

If you consider the S100 good enough to meet your photo quality needs (I don't know much about it), I would consider taking it and MANY media cards.  Many, they're expensive on ship and in port.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Fine Art Flyover Country:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/2505841@N22

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +12 more
Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

stevo23 wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

If anything, you may regret getting home and not being able to blow up some really great shots to anything bigger than 14x12s. When you do travel photography your eyes are wide open and you get some real opportunities to get some nice wall hangers. These days I wouldn't travel with anything less than µ4/3 camera. Bodies are so cheap that you can get high IQ large scale prints and not break the bank.

But you just advised him to take the S100...?

No, I advised him to take a smaller camera. On your on shore days you really are going to get sick of lugging around a full frame DSLR everywhere. What I stated if you read it is that a camera that size, or similar is a better choice.

In this case where the OP has a bag full of lenses the canon EOS M is a good choice, you can buy the body for the same price as a high end compact like the RX100 and still have more options. The kit pancake and a zoom would be all that you would need and it would not be a large step down in terms of IQ from a 5D and you would actually feel like carrying it around all day with you rather than dumping the 5D over a cliff after an hour of lugging it around.

You have completely misread pretty much everything that I wrote, if I were going to take just the one camera it'd be the 6D by a long margin, but there is a good compromise that will get good results and be more enjoyable to carry around 90% of the time. That is the only reason I suggested it... If the OP didn't have a bag full of Canon lenses already and had a full frame, lets say, Nikon I'd say just take the Nikon. With the price of the EOS M body its something worth considering simply for convenience sake alone.

I never have and probably never will see a backpacker walking around all day with a full frame DSLR and there's good reason for this, they are simply inconvenient cameras at the best of times. I know this is somewhat different and a leisure cruise, it's exactly the same point though. Walking any great distance even from one end of a deck to the other with a DSLR for an extended period of time sucks.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,351
Re: I think it depends on your goals of the trip

My wife and I have been on many cruises taking only an SZ and a S100.  Also I have available an older SZ for back up.  The S100 is actually my wife's which not only is all she needs but serves well in places where anything larger is not welcome.  MY SZ is currently an SX40hs which I find almost essential for the very wide zoom range.  Believe me that range is fully utilized.

Having gone through the SLR thing years ago there is no way I would pack that stuff around on a trip today.  Simply not worth it! All my photo gear goes into one small shoulder bag, including a flash, mini tripod, charger, filter and many SDs.  The cam also has a lens hood left attached.

I am quite fussy on photo quality but that shouldn't take away from just enjoying the sites.  When travelling with a group be prepared to 'point and shoot' or get left behind.  Personally I shoot lots, 2 to 3 shots on the important ones.  On a 2 to 3 week trip I come home with 2 to 3,000.  Only JPEGS which are quickly weeded through and the best edited in Picasa.  Life is too short for more complication.

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Glenn NK Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: Take the 6d

Undah wrote:

It's what you got it for. Plus on a cruise it's so easy to take pictures, then go put it away when you're done. 6D+ 24-105 over anything.

Precisely.  Cruising isn't like traveling by air, train, bus, or auto.

The gear you aren't using (tripod or whatever) stays in your stateroom and the room is always there in the same place - just like being at home - where you have all your gear, and it's easy to get to.

The damn boat isn't twenty miles long.

-- hide signature --

Glenn NK

OP Clay King Regular Member • Posts: 306

Thanks to all for the varied comments.  You are giving me plenty to think about, and that is what I was hoping for with this post.

A few points:

• I do have the 24-105, and had thought about just taking it.  I was concerned about taking a lens with a red ring on it to someplace like Jamaica.  Lenses like the pancake are so unassuming, they don't draw attention to what you actually have in your hands.  Red Rings and White Bodies just scream $$$$, in my mind.
  • Some people have mentioned the weight of carrying the 6D, and someone else mentioned the op-tech strap.  I have a Black Rapid that I love, and it makes it very easy to carry the 6D all day long.  Even with a 70-200 f/2.8L.
  • Somebody mentioned the sand and water.  Someone else mentioned the harsh light that comes with the times when you are ashore.  All of these are concerns that lead me to think I wouldn't take the 6D off the boat, except for the stop in Key West.
  • People have asked what the priority of the trip is, and unfortunately it probably isn't photography.  That is just a side benefit.  I'm really just looking to spend quality time with the wife, without kids, work, or schedules.
  • Someone else pointed out the need to take a lot of memory cards.  That is something I hadn't given enough thought.  I will fill up even a 32gb card in a short time.
  • Something else to think about is battery life; the S100 battery life is lousy.  And, I only have one of them.  The 6D is excellent (as longs as you keep wi-fi and gps turned off), and I have multiples of those batteries.

In the end, I will probably take both.  I will take the 6D w/24-105 for on the ship, maybe Key West.  And I will use the S100 for going ashore.  I doubt I get any "wall hangers" in noon time light in the tropics.

Thanks again for the comments, please keep them coming.

Clay King's gear list:Clay King's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
wudyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Do you have an iPhone?

Clay King wrote:

Going on a week long cruise in less than a month. I'm trying to decide which camera to bring with me. I'm concerned about airports, foreign countries, etc... I don't know if I really want to bring the 6D and a couple lenses, or just bring the Canon S100. The cruise will go from Ft. Lauderdale, to Key West to Grand Cayman, to Ocho Rios Jamaica back to Ft. Lauderdale. I can live with the S100, but I love my 6D.

Anybody have any wisdom from experience to offer???

There's some creative people out there making really super art with their mobile phones in the way of movies, documentary films, insanely good still image portfolios and similar projects. If such good results can be achieved with an iPhone then there's no doubt it can be done just as well with an S100. Small is almost ALWAYS better. It frees you up to enjoy your surroundings better, allows for greater mobility and stealth, and should better facilitate any creativity you might posses. Leave the clunker behind. The S100 is the better tool for your situation.

Undah Veteran Member • Posts: 5,330

Oh yeah, take both for sure. I thought it was either or. A small or pocket cam always comes in handy.

Which model of the Black Rapid strap do you have? I'm always looking for better ways to tote the gear.

hikerdoc Senior Member • Posts: 2,254

I would definitely take both if space in luggage is not an issue. Your destination and planned activities for each day can dictate which one(s) you carry.

The difficulty I had was that we were typically on shore from about 0900 to1500 each day. Four or five cruise lines all dock each day at these ports at small towns, each unloading about 2000 passengers. Tourism is the main income for many. It is frequently anticipated that you tip residents whom you photograph. It was hard to find opportunity to get the image desired without multiple anonymous fellow cruisers in the image at many of the arranged venues. There were a few times when away from crowds that the gear seemed to attract attention that made one a bit uncomfortable, although I never felt threatened. There were however some exquisitely beautiful vistas we encountered on hikes and at secluded beaches that really were better preserved with the D700 (or your 6D) than any point and shoot.

I found the cruises gave me a flavor of destinations I would like to return to in a non structured setting and with plenty of time. The islands do not really become themselves again until after we all get back on the boat!

Undah wrote:

Oh yeah, take both for sure. I thought it was either or. A small or pocket cam always comes in handy.

Which model of the Black Rapid strap do you have? I'm always looking for better ways to tote the gear.

I have the RS-7.  Absolutely love it.  It is comfortable and light on the shoulder, slides up to shooting position and back to rest with no effort.  They are definitely worth the money.  Are they better than an op-tech?  I don't know, never had an op-tech.  I love my Black Rapid though.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Re: Do you have an iPhone?

wudyi wrote:

Clay King wrote:

Going on a week long cruise in less than a month. I'm trying to decide which camera to bring with me. I'm concerned about airports, foreign countries, etc... I don't know if I really want to bring the 6D and a couple lenses, or just bring the Canon S100. The cruise will go from Ft. Lauderdale, to Key West to Grand Cayman, to Ocho Rios Jamaica back to Ft. Lauderdale. I can live with the S100, but I love my 6D.

There's some creative people out there making really super art with their mobile phones in the way of movies, documentary films, insanely good still image portfolios and similar projects. If such good results can be achieved with an iPhone then there's no doubt it can be done just as well with an S100. Small is almost ALWAYS better. It frees you up to enjoy your surroundings better, allows for greater mobility and stealth, and should better facilitate any creativity you might posses. Leave the clunker behind. The S100 is the better tool for your situation.

I have had multiple i-phones.  Currently have the i-phone 5.  I only use it as a camera of last resort.  However, I do like the pano feature.

hikerdoc wrote:

I would definitely take both if space in luggage is not an issue. Your destination and planned activities for each day can dictate which one(s) you carry.

Kind of where I'm headed.  I think I will take my canon back pack as carry on through the airport.  I will take a minimalist approach to gear.  No tri-pod, no flash, no ....; just camera and a couple lenses.

The difficulty I had was that we were typically on shore from about 0900 to1500 each day. Four or five cruise lines all dock each day at these ports at small towns, each unloading about 2000 passengers. Tourism is the main income for many. It is frequently anticipated that you tip residents whom you photograph. It was hard to find opportunity to get the image desired without multiple anonymous fellow cruisers in the image at many of the arranged venues. There were a few times when away from crowds that the gear seemed to attract attention that made one a bit uncomfortable, although I never felt threatened. There were however some exquisitely beautiful vistas we encountered on hikes and at secluded beaches that really were better preserved with the D700 (or your 6D) than any point and shoot.

That covers some of what I worry about.  If I'm going to go para-sailing or something like that, I'm not going to let myself be in a situation where I leave a 6D and L-glass unattended.  I may have been born in the dark, but it wasn't last night. lol

I found the cruises gave me a flavor of destinations I would like to return to in a non structured setting and with plenty of time. The islands do not really become themselves again until after we all get back on the boat!

I totally agree with that sentiment.

Thanks for the input.

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,896

Lumixdude wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

If anything, you may regret getting home and not being able to blow up some really great shots to anything bigger than 14x12s. When you do travel photography your eyes are wide open and you get some real opportunities to get some nice wall hangers. These days I wouldn't travel with anything less than µ4/3 camera. Bodies are so cheap that you can get high IQ large scale prints and not break the bank.

No, I advised him to take a smaller camera. On your on shore days you really are going to get sick of lugging around a full frame DSLR everywhere. What I stated if you read it is that a camera that size, or similar is a better choice.

But he's in a berth and can store his camera there if he doesn't want to lug it. I've lugged my D600 and lenses all over the bloody Colorado mountains and it was worth it if image quality is the issue.

In this case where the OP has a bag full of lenses the canon EOS M is a good choice, you can buy

He didn't want to take a full bag of lenses. Don't make that assumption. A 6D + 24-105 is an incredibly versatile combination and not too heavy. You don't need more!

the body for the same price as a high end compact like the RX100 and still have more options. The kit pancake and a zoom would be all that you would need and it would not be a large step down in terms of IQ from a 5D and you would actually feel like carrying it around all day with you rather than dumping the 5D over a cliff after an hour of lugging it around.

But I think he would lose image quality and barely gain an edge in weight. The 6D + 24-105 is a formidable set.

You have completely misread pretty much everything that I wrote, if I were going to take just the one camera it'd be the 6D by a long margin, but there is a good compromise that will get good results and be more enjoyable to carry around 90% of the time. That is the only reason I suggested it... If the OP didn't have a bag full of Canon lenses already and had a full frame, lets say, Nikon I'd say just take the Nikon. With the price of the EOS M body its something worth considering simply for convenience sake alone.

I just really hate to suggest someone buy another camera. The simple fact is that you only save a few ounces. If he buys the kit lens for the EOS-M, he's really taking a step back. Why suggest someone spend more money?

I never have and probably never will see a backpacker walking around all day with a full frame DSLR and there's good reason for this, they are simply inconvenient cameras at the best of times. I

Then you've never been backpacking! It's a very common site and you would have seen me carrying a D600 with four primes last August. You get low noise, very large images like this:

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
wudyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
Re: Do you have an iPhone?

Clay King wrote:

wudyi wrote:

Clay King wrote:

I have had multiple i-phones. Currently have the i-phone 5. I only use it as a camera of last resort. However, I do like the pano feature.

Ahhh...I see. In that case, take your 6D and all of your lenses.

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,896

Lightpath48 wrote:

Sounds like for you the main thing about the trip would be the quality of enlargements you could print after it was over. That's what I mean by photography being the main reason for the trip. I didn't get that impression necessarily from the O.P.'s reason for his upcoming trip, though.

Why discuss a 6D if there isn't some inkling that image quality and crop or enlarge - ability isn't the point?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +3 more
Voyageur du Monde New Member • Posts: 22
6D

What is the point of owning a great camera if you are not going to take it with you when going to some of the most picturesque places on Earth?

St. Lucia, Canon 5D2

Lumixdude Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

stevo23 wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

But he's in a berth and can store his camera there if he doesn't want to lug it. I've lugged my D600 and lenses all over the bloody Colorado mountains and it was worth it if image quality is the issue.

In this case where the OP has a bag full of lenses the canon EOS M is a good choice, you can buy

He didn't want to take a full bag of lenses. Don't make that assumption. A 6D + 24-105 is an incredibly versatile combination and not too heavy. You don't need more!

the body for the same price as a high end compact like the RX100 and still have more options. The kit pancake and a zoom would be all that you would need and it would not be a large step down in terms of IQ from a 5D and you would actually feel like carrying it around all day with you rather than dumping the 5D over a cliff after an hour of lugging it around.

But I think he would lose image quality and barely gain an edge in weight. The 6D + 24-105 is a formidable set.

I just really hate to suggest someone buy another camera. The simple fact is that you only save a few ounces. If he buys the kit lens for the EOS-M, he's really taking a step back. Why suggest someone spend more money?

I never have and probably never will see a backpacker walking around all day with a full frame DSLR and there's good reason for this, they are simply inconvenient cameras at the best of times. I

Then you've never been backpacking! It's a very common site and you would have seen me carrying a D600 with four primes last August. You get low noise, very large images like this:

Once again you seem to have missed the point, I didn't suggest he take a bag full of lenses, I suggested he take one or two and a light body, I've actually spent months at a time on foot, and done some serious backpacking off the tracks across Europe where most people don't go. It is a lot more than "a few ounces" in weight that will be saved. Could you please take the time to actually read what I stated next time?

You sure would lose IQ, but it's simply about making the trip about the trip and not the camera, anyway this matter is resolved. The OP has stated he's happy to take both cameras.

Thanks.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421

stevo23 wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

No. it was lightpath who advised the S100, not lumixdude.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Muhammad Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595

Remember: different people have different priorities.   If someone balks at an idea of carrying around a few extra ounces, the same is not necessarily applicable to you.   What else did you get your 6D for if not for this?    To take snapshots of the opposite wall from a couch?   I frankly don't think someone with 'Lumix' in their forum name is qualified to give travel advice to an FF owner.   Would a wolfhound ask a chihuahua for hunting tips?

I also went on cruise a while ago - took my DSLR and everything with me.   I am quite used to the size and heft of the camera, cause I use it on a very regular basis, and it never felt like a hindrance.   I also use a BlackRapid (RS7), really makes a difference.   Love the results, and my family loved them too.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads