Canon 330 HS vs S110 I know I know

Started Jan 22, 2014 | Discussions
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,347
Canon 330 HS vs S110 I know I know

330 HS owners here rave about their budget cam.  I know it doesn't have raw, but has anyone here shot both side x side and compared jpegs?  I wrote S110 in the thread title, but S95/S100/S110 will do.  I just saw the S110 for $189 at Adorama (!) but just want a point and and shoot to keep in the car and from user reviews it almost seems like the 330 HS wins just on the strength of its 10x zoom.

Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS (IXUS 255 HS) Canon PowerShot S110 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karen Casebeer
Karen Casebeer Regular Member • Posts: 404
Re: Canon 330 HS vs S110 I know I know

This has been an interesting thread for me.  I mostly shoot with the Canon 60 and 70D dslrs, but also shoot with my iPhone.  While the iPhone yields okay images, I continue to look for another similar-sized "pocket camera" but with better IQ.  I recently read the preview of the Canon 340 due out in March.  I've come back to this forum to read the comments about 340's predecessor, the 330.  From what I'm reading, the 340 should be just what I'm looking for.  Karen

Karen Casebeer's gear list:Karen Casebeer's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5
OP toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,347

Karen Casebeer wrote:

This has been an interesting thread for me. I mostly shoot with the Canon 60 and 70D dslrs, but also shoot with my iPhone. While the iPhone yields okay images, I continue to look for another similar-sized "pocket camera" but with better IQ. I recently read the preview of the Canon 340 due out in March. I've come back to this forum to read the comments about 340's predecessor, the 330. From what I'm reading, the 340 should be just what I'm looking for. Karen

That makes sense, I guess.  This thread is about one camera and you've decided to buy something else.  Hope it works out for ya!

racollins Contributing Member • Posts: 600

Well, it sort of makes sense in that some stores may not have the 330HS anymore (our Target doesn't carry it) since the 340 has been announced, and I would assume she's thinking the 340 will carry on in the tradition of the 330. I wonder though if the 340 will have the same performance since it has a greater zoom range, and it always seems that the greater the focal length range, the more compromises are made in the quality of the lens. Plus, it has DiGIC 4+...what, exactly, is DiGIC 4+ in comparison to the DiGIC 5 in the 330? It seems as though it would be a step backwards and/or a cheap alternative to DiGIC 5 or 6.

Andy

racollins's gear list:racollins's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
panamforeman
panamforeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,214

Why would I want to carry the ELPH 340 as opposed to my S110??

The 340 has a small sensor (2.3) with 16MPs crammed onto it. Plus the lens is super slow compared to the S110 (2.0 X 5.9 compared to F3.6 to 7.0) and the S120 has an even faster lens, altho not by much. Outdoors in very good light the 340 would do okay. But even then any ISO above 400 would be very noisy.

The only logical reason to buy the 340 is the cost and the size. It ain't that much smaller than the S110!  I'm sure these "little" cameras sell well or Canon wouldn't make 'em. My wife carries her ELPH SD980 IS in her purse (she bought it) and "I just love this little camera, darlin' " !  But then I have to photoshop her shots for her. But I will say that, all-in-all, her camera does pretty good considering.

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic ZS100
PineyPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 688

The 340 is a downgrade from the 330. It uses a smaller battery and will have worse IQ with the 16mp and MUCH slower lens (going from F3.0 to 3.6 is a major downgrade). Once the 340 hits the shelves expect the 330 prices to go UP. That happened for a bit when the 110HS came out, most preferred the IQ of the 100 & 300HS. But I knew Canon would do this, just by this thread alone the 330 was stealing customers away from the more expensive S series, and Canon wants to force consumers into buying the premium series to make higher profits. 

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,732
No manual control

The controls are pretty limited on the 330HS.   It takes good pictures, but you'll be using it in auto or scene modes.

S110 has an F1.8 wide end vs f3.0 on the 330. So indoors you'll be at 1.5 stops lower ISO.   S110 also has full manual control and a  50% larger sensor by area.

OP toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,347
Re: No manual control

tkbslc wrote:

The controls are pretty limited on the 330HS. It takes good pictures, but you'll be using it in auto or scene modes.

S110 has an F1.8 wide end vs f3.0 on the 330. So indoors you'll be at 1.5 stops lower ISO. S110 also has full manual control and a 50% larger sensor by area.

All of that is true.  How do you find, from your own personal usage, the IQ compares between the two?   And "50% larger sensor by area" actually means instead of a sensor that's about as big as your little fingernail you get one about as big as your next fingernail, if that.  Hey, the SX50 has the same size sensor as the 330 HS and it does pretty good!

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 853

Why not just buy a Panasonic ZS20, small, twice the focal range of the 330, and better IQ for `$160 at Amazon.

Joel

PineyPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Re: No manual control

Well I can still adjust exposure, ISO, color, white balance, so its not a deal-breaker. It would be nice to have manual control, Canon could have easily made a 330HS with Tv,Av,& M, but they knew it would hurt the premium lines and thats where they make more money. But I do have the SX260 for the manual control, while not quite as sharp as the 330, it's still pretty decent. Its too bad I can't recommend the SX280, it does seem better IQ-wise but that battery problem is a deal breaker since I do shoot video. I'm hoping the folks at CHDK eventually come out with a version for the 330HS, so I could control shutter speed. But you can control it with ISO, if I want a slower speed I'll just keep the ISO at 80, which works great on blurring moving water in the shade. For times when I want a faster speed, I up the ISO to 800. Its not as good as Tv but it's effective.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 12,732

joel artino wrote:

Why not just buy a Panasonic ZS20, small, twice the focal range of the 330, and better IQ for `$160 at Amazon.

Joel

Panasonic makes great cameras, feature-wise, but their colors produces by the sensor flat out SUCK once you've used a Canon.  LX5 I had was sharp, excellent features and control, superb lens, but the colors were terrible.  I spent 10 minutes on each picture just trying to make it look like the Canon's do just by clicking the shutter button.  Same story with my ZS camera that I had for a few months.  I ran every picture through some super film-simulator because the pictures looked terrible SOOC.

Not saying people don't make good pictures with Panasonic, it just takes more work to get what I want.

Also, Canon has better compact camera sensors than Panasonic from a noise perspective, too.  The latest "HS" sensors are downright amazing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads