GX7 to California. What lenses?

Started Jan 22, 2014 | Discussions
Ripple Junior Member • Posts: 37
GX7 to California. What lenses?

We're going to California in June for our honeymoon.  First time in the US [apart from a brief stop in Anchorage 30 years ago on a flight from London to Tokyo, but since I didn't leave the transit lounge that doesn't count].  We'll be there for two weeks: San Francisco - Yosemite - Bishop - [Death Valley] - Las Vegas - Palm Springs - LA - Morro Beach - Monterey.

Having sold the EOS 5 MkII kit all I have now is a Panasonic GX7 with the 20 f1.7 and the Panasonic 100-300.  What other lenses would you recommend if you were doing this trip?

Ripple's gear list:Ripple's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jackkurtz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,567
Re: GX7 to California. What lenses?

I'm a prime sort of guy, so I would recommend the Oly 12mm (or Panny 14) and the Oly 45mm. That combo would be great for your urban adventures and the 100-300 for the wilder side.

jackkurtz's gear list:jackkurtz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,587

Along Highway 1 (the coastal highway) a bit north of Morro Bay there is a place where you can often see lots and lots of elephant seals on the beach. Several times we have driven from Santa Cruz to Morro Bay on Highway 1 and stopped there. There is a walkway and you can get some wonderful photos. You will need the 100-300mm (200-600mm equivalent) for that. I was using mostly 200-375mm equivalent and that worked well. You can see a few of my elephant seal photos in the California gallery in Galleries 1 (some at the top, but most about in the middle):

http://www.bakubo.com

I would recommend a more general purpose zoom also for other parts of your trip. Possibly the Olympus 12-50mm, Olympus 14-150mm, Panasonic 14-140mm II, Panasonic 14-42mm or 14-45mm, etc.  The 12-50mm would give you a fairly wide angle (24mm equivalent), but the 14-150mm or 14-140mm would be very useful while traveling with their wider range.  I have the 14-150mm on my E-M5.  You will have to decide if 24mm or 28mm equivalents are wide enough for you.  I have a 9-18mm and like it, but I only use it occasionally.

By the way, if you don't plan to stop to see the elephant seals then if it was me I would leave the 100-300mm at home since it is fairly big and probably wouldn't see much use if you have the 14-150mm or 14-140mm.  You might want to investigate about the elephant seals.  I assume they are there all the time, but it may depend on time of year.  I think the last time we were there was in about May or June so probably okay for you.  There are hundreds of them!

Enjoy your trip and honeymoon!

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Heyseuss Hoolio
Heyseuss Hoolio Contributing Member • Posts: 586

I'd recommend getting another body too to mount the different lenses too so you're not always switching or worried about having to switch.  you can hang both cameras from you with their straps instead of having a bunch of lenses in your bag and then just using the one that's on your camera because you don't feel like switching.

baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,156

You would do fine with a a pair of zooms like the 14-42 and 45-175. Add a fast prime for night scenes in cities. Not a lot of money needs to be spent. When the light is good, any camera will remember the beauty of the pacific coast.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,928

Wide angle would be a must.

Olympus 9-18

and a standard zoom

either

Oly 12-50mm

Oly 14-150 or

Pany 14-140 II (f3.5 version)

-- hide signature --

Dave

Landscapephoto99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,889

I live here, but whenever I go touring around here or Oregon or Washington State, I take the 12-50mm lens, the 40-150mm zoom and the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 for night shots and environmental portraits.

I just got the Olympus 75-300mm II and love it, the bokeh, colors, etc. so I might substitute this lens for the 40-150mm in the future.

LMNCT Veteran Member • Posts: 4,908

Panasonic 14 2.5 or 12-35 2.8 or 14-140 new release...or, get the GM1 with 12-32 which can cover the wide stuff and act as a backup body.  You will want the wide angle format in the parks and probably elsewhere.  Remember, you can use the 12-32 on your GX7 as well but the GM1 will probably be very appealing.  If you expect to do a lot of low light shots the 12-35 with it's constant 2.8 aperture is an excellent lens.  I also have the GX7 (and GM!) and the 12-35 spends a lot of time on that camera.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 +23 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,451

Ripple wrote:

We're going to California in June for our honeymoon.  First time in the US [apart from a brief stop in Anchorage 30 years ago on a flight from London to Tokyo, but since I didn't leave the transit lounge that doesn't count].  We'll be there for two weeks: San Francisco - Yosemite - Bishop - [Death Valley] - Las Vegas - Palm Springs - LA - Morro Beach - Monterey.

Having sold the EOS 5 MkII kit all I have now is a Panasonic GX7 with the 20 f1.7 and the Panasonic 100-300.  What other lenses would you recommend if you were doing this trip?

Hmmm, it seems you'd benefit from wide or super-wide angle and a fast, short tele in addition to your current kit.

Depending on budget, one of the 12mm zooms (now four choices if memory serves) and I'll also suggest the 45/1.8. Those four will cover a vast focal length range and if you get a slower zoom, then the two fast primes will step in when light is low. I'd also add a pola filter to the wide zoom.

Be sure to wave when you're here!

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,459

You don't mention your budget.

High: Panasonic 7-14 (great lens and UWA will be terrific for the superb scenery you will be visiting) and Panasonic 35-100.  Let the 20 fill the gap in between.

Modest:  Olympus 9-18; Panasonic 45-150.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,890

Ripple wrote:

We're going to California in June for our honeymoon. First time in the US [apart from a brief stop in Anchorage 30 years ago on a flight from London to Tokyo, but since I didn't leave the transit lounge that doesn't count]. We'll be there for two weeks: San Francisco - Yosemite - Bishop - [Death Valley] - Las Vegas - Palm Springs - LA - Morro Beach - Monterey.

Having sold the EOS 5 MkII kit all I have now is a Panasonic GX7 with the 20 f1.7 and the Panasonic 100-300. What other lenses would you recommend if you were doing this trip?

A 7-14mm and a 45mm.

The 14-42mm II and 45-150mm are a good, compact and inexpensive combo.

Definitely a 7-14mm. It's a fantastic travel lens!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +28 more
Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
If you plan to take photos of family while here

you'll need a good flash.  It is very bright and contrasty all day and nearly impossible to take those 'we were there' shots without flash.  I never remember to bring mine to Yosemite and always regret it.  Luckily summer is fog time and that helps along the coast.

The only other lens you need is something wide angle.

You could get the Oly 12-50 or Panny 14-45 zoom or the Oly 12, a really nice lens.  The Panny is a bit sharper but the Oly zoom has a useful wider angle and macro function.   Or, get Oly 9-18 or Panny 7-14.  The Panny is again a sharper lens, but the Oly is more versatile with the 18mm long end - you can use this lens as an easy walk around lens.

You might also look at Oly 40-150 or equiv Panny lens rather than your 100-300 zoom.  The longer zoom is great for hawks, coyotes, etc., but you may not want to carry such weight/size around when traveling.  And something a little less long works better in the cities (either 45mm also works well).

Consider a polarizer and/or ND filter. You don't generally need to worry about blue skies but polarizers are useful for other things and ND filter would be useful for larger apertures and blurring water.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Ultbruin Forum Member • Posts: 91

Keep things simple, 14-140 II.

-- hide signature --
 Ultbruin's gear list:Ultbruin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,245

Ripple wrote:

We're going to California in June for our honeymoon. First time in the US [apart from a brief stop in Anchorage 30 years ago on a flight from London to Tokyo, but since I didn't leave the transit lounge that doesn't count]. We'll be there for two weeks: San Francisco - Yosemite - Bishop - [Death Valley] - Las Vegas - Palm Springs - LA - Morro Beach - Monterey.

Having sold the EOS 5 MkII kit all I have now is a Panasonic GX7 with the 20 f1.7 and the Panasonic 100-300. What other lenses would you recommend if you were doing this trip?

I did a similar tour and think your outfit just needs a WA for landscapes. I used the Samyang 7,5mm fish eye and was very pleased with the pictures I got in Yosemite and other places with exposed look-outs. The 7-14 is a much more expensive alternative, that doen't require PP for straight vertical lines.

If you are interested in wild life photos, the 100-300 is useful, but you might need a second body to have the lens ready for wild animals. But I suppose, on your honeymoon you won't be doing much back country trekking. Many jays, squirrels and chipmonks in tourist places however are rather tame and you have enough time to change lenses.
So a WA lens is the only real necessity.

Have fun and good luck!

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
goshigoo Contributing Member • Posts: 836

Get the 7-14
You can take 14-140 instead of 100--300

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads