K-3 ?

Started Jan 22, 2014 | Discussions
gillamoto Forum Member • Posts: 54
K-3 ?

just out of curiousity, does K-3 sell good?

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wallace Ross
Wallace Ross Senior Member • Posts: 2,202
Re: K-3 ?

I don't know I like mine too much to sell it.

-- hide signature --
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968

It was SOLD OUT for a while in November and December, but I think when Ricoh realized just WHAT a  hit they had on their hands they started making more. Easier to get now -- but NOT from folks who've already bought one. I'm like the first responder... have NO PLANS to sell mine, and considering buying a second one since the prices have dropped a bit due to the stiff price competition with the "equivalent" models from Canon and Nikon.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +8 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,157

gillamoto wrote:

I don't think we are privy to that information, I don't think Ricoh discloses specific model sales figures.

Bottom line is it shouldn't matter to a user how well a camera sells.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
jhmos Regular Member • Posts: 213

viking79 wrote:

gillamoto wrote:

I don't think we are privy to that information, I don't think Ricoh discloses specific model sales figures.

Eric

I think it does matter. No one is going to make good lenses and accessories for a camera that does not sell.

jhmos's gear list:jhmos's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K100D HD Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
Bill Robb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,332

jhmos wrote:

viking79 wrote:

gillamoto wrote:

Eric

I think it does matter. No one is going to make good lenses and accessories for a camera that does not sell.

If you are buying a camera based on accessories that are not made for it right now, you aren't very smart anyway.

Gosman Contributing Member • Posts: 940

By the way, Really Right Stuff says that they will not make a L tripod mount for the K-3!

-- hide signature --

Gosman

Bill Robb wrote:

If you are buying a camera based on accessories that are not made for it right now, you aren't very smart anyway.

Ah, well you had better not have been wanting that Right Stuff L tripod mount before buying a K-3 then

Pentax K-3 Pentax K100D HD Pentax DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +10 more
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,808

The K-3 is a better photographic tool than many cameras, including FF, that sell better.   No APS-C camera can, or will, top it in performance, features, ergonomics, and rugged weather-sealed design.

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Ricoh GR Digital III Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +11 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,492

jhmos wrote:

viking79 wrote:

gillamoto wrote:

Eric

For lenses, it doesn't matter at all.  What specific accessory are you interested in?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Pentax K-3 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +1 more
johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,229

The K3 is selling well for a Pentax body, but maybe not so well if compared to a Canikon model.

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 Pentax K10D Pentax K-1 +17 more
Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 2,165
A few days earlier...

I'm surprised at some of the responses here, since we only just had a thread where it was discussed that the K-3 is 16th in amazon's sales ranking and thereby outranks the Nikon D5300. The reason that's surprising is not only that Nikon has heretofore been considered the "bigger" brand, but pro bodies don't usually outsell entry level offerings. Maybe Pentax is making inroads with Nikon's customer base, as predicted when people called it the D400.

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096
Re: A few days earlier...

+1 - It is outselling Nikon entry level bodies and usually all entry cameras will sell more volume than high end ones because of the price diff.  Apparently, people like the solid feel and ergonomics of the all magnesium and aluminium WR K3 body.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang 20mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
konanon
konanon Junior Member • Posts: 27

I've had mine for a couple weeks now. I'm very satisfied and I haven't really tweaked it to my liking yet. There are still a couple custom menu items I'd like to play around with.

That said, I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of Pentax lenses availability in my area...and I live in Toronto so there is no shortage of flagship camera stores. I only know of one store that carries the Limited lenses. Furthermore, any Sigma with Pentax mount is special order. Not the end of the world but again, something to keep in mind before you make the jump to Pentax. I also haven't seen the AF360FGZ II or the AF540FGZ II flashes stocked anywhere. If you like to play around with the equipment before you buy, that could be a deal breaker for some.

For me, when I handled the K-3 at the store, it was instant satisfaction. I thought about it for a week or so but every time I played around with something else, I always came back to the K-3. Ergonomically, it's the perfect camera for me. I won't even get into the value for your money. You can figure that out yourself. And the image quality is outstanding.

konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G
AJSAUco Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: A few days earlier...

and everyone forgets that these may not be "new" customers but existing Pentax customers upgrading. If that's the case it's really not a good thing for us. The sales figures we need to know are lens sales. If lens sales are rising with the body sales then it's likely they are tapping a new market which is what needs to happen. It's time for a large marketing push...

paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,428

According to Amazon (US), it sells more than any of the cheaper Pentax models do.  So at least within the normal standards of the company, it counts as a hit.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax Q Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 4,777

konanon wrote:

...That said, I'm a bit frustrated at the lack of Pentax lenses availability in my area...and I live in Toronto so there is no shortage of flagship camera stores. I only know of one store that carries the Limited lenses. ...

Well, that 100% more than most Canadian Cities !  And then, you've got ProDigital2000 and Ricoh Canada in your backyard, what more do you want ?  What Pentax really needs, is the K500 to be in every Wallmarts, Targets, Costco and the likes. i.e. Pentax needs visibility above all.  For some reason, it's been difficult for Pentax to keep shelf space in specialty stores.  Maybe they can't provide the same sales "incentives" as the others, who knows ?

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro +4 more

Jim in Hudson wrote:

jhmos wrote:

viking79 wrote:

gillamoto wrote:

Eric

For lenses, it doesn't matter at all. What specific accessory are you interested in?

For me, nothing K-3 specific but its a pity that extension tubes with all the contacts and linkages not readily available. Other people are often commenting of this or that not being made for Pentax cameras.

For lenses, surely it must matter. I seem to recall reading of particular third party lenses being discontinued for Pentax due to lack of sales and many questions of 'when will lens X be made in Pentax mount?'.

RedCanoe Forum Member • Posts: 54

I removed the RRS L-plate from my K-5 and put it on my K-3.
Bruce

RedCanoe's gear list:RedCanoe's gear list
Pentax Q7 Nikon D3 Pentax 645D Nikon D800 +1 more
Gosman Contributing Member • Posts: 940

RedCanoe wrote:

I removed the RRS L-plate from my K-5 and put it on my K-3.
Bruce

Be sure and check the inputs and buttons to see if you have clear access to all controls.  Many people like to keep their L brackets on their cameras full time.  Let us know- this is an important thing for many of us.

-- hide signature --

Gosman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads