1st year of concert photography with the D600

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions
G4orce Studios Senior Member • Posts: 1,284
1st year of concert photography with the D600

I lurk around this forum a lot and wanted to thank all the posters here for providing a wealth of information.  I know I have learned a lot from many forums here at DPReview.

I made the jump to full frame with the D600 in December of 2012. My D600 hit 350,000 exposures last week. I shot around 120 live bands in 2013. Various other gigs. The D600 performed like a champ. I shoot with it almost every day.  I love it!!!!!!!
All the photos below are from the D600.  You can view hundreds more at my portfolio:

http://www.joekleon.com/portfolio.html

Taylor Swift - Cleveland, Ohio 4/25/13

John Mayer - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 8/6/13

Alice Cooper - Cleveland, Ohio 6/13/13

Joe Satriani - Lakewood, Ohio 9/19/13

Fleetwood Mac - Cleveland, Ohio 6/15/13

Dave Matthews - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 6/1/13

http://www.joekleon.com

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
swestphotos
swestphotos Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: 1st year of concert photography with the D600

Great shots! I use the D600 for bands as well. Although it's local or indie bands and not these big time artists Used to use a 7D and of course the D600 is a huge upgrade over that one. Thanks for sharing!

swestphotos's gear list:swestphotos's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D750 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
backayonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,227
-- hide signature --

some nice images here but unable to view any images on your website.

I clicked on portfolio, no images. then clicked on Links at bottom of your page Music, Wedding and no images display.

Viewing on Ipad in Safari btw

Cheers
My work
http://www.deangale.com

Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

So nice!  Love these shots!  I also love seeing people use D600 for pro jobs!  I'm so sick of D800 zealots claiming its not a pro cam.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

Rservello wrote:

So nice! Love these shots! I also love seeing people use D600 for pro jobs! I'm so sick of D800 zealots claiming its not a pro cam.

REALLY nice shots.

I never heard anyone say the D600 or D610 was not a pro cam, except people who are NOT pros.

Beautiful shots!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
rui oliveira Forum Member • Posts: 65

Really wonderfull photos. Were these photos taken with flash?

jjnik Senior Member • Posts: 1,319

Rservello wrote:

So nice! Love these shots! I also love seeing people use D600 for pro jobs! I'm so sick of D800 zealots claiming its not a pro cam.

Nikon considers it a "pro" body:

http://nikonpro.com/Renewal-NPS-Equipment-List.pdf

SamG10 Regular Member • Posts: 310

Fantastic shots.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Paul Skelcher Regular Member • Posts: 420

Joe,

Can you license these shots for editorial use without any restrictions by the artists?

Paul

Tom_Bruno Senior Member • Posts: 1,328

Great shots! You have a real talent, and a lot of skill. Excellent!

Gear-wise, you really nailed the focus on all of these, proving that the D600 AF is very capable, even in these dimly lit venues. Also, the ISO 2000 shot of Dave Matthews looks remarkably noise-free. The camera is clearly supporting you in your creative tasks.

Thanks much for posting these on DPR. As others have said, there tend to be a lot of D800 fanboys here who like to disparage the D600. These images are clear testaments to the camera's ability.

Very impressive work. Keep shooting! And post a few more when you're in the mood. Thanks.
---------------
Tom B

Tom_Bruno's gear list:Tom_Bruno's gear list
Canon G9 X Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Tom_Bruno wrote:

Great shots! You have a real talent, and a lot of skill. Excellent!

Gear-wise, you really nailed the focus on all of these, proving that the D600 AF is very capable, even in these dimly lit venues. Also, the ISO 2000 shot of Dave Matthews looks remarkably noise-free. The camera is clearly supporting you in your creative tasks.

Thanks much for posting these on DPR. As others have said, there tend to be a lot of D800 fanboys here who like to disparage the D600. These images are clear testaments to the camera's ability.

Very impressive work. Keep shooting! And post a few more when you're in the mood. Thanks.
---------------
Tom B

I've found the D600 to be quite amazingly clean even up to ISO 6400.  There have already been lots of tests done...and the D600 actually looks better than the D800 at high ISO...the D800 takes on a nasty green tint in the blacks at high ISO.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Carl Maiorino Senior Member • Posts: 2,086
Great Images...

...Nice to see people actually using the D600 and showing what it is really capable of instead of complaining about it.  The D600 is a fine camera...

ahmami
ahmami Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

Lovely colours and compositions.

-- hide signature --
OP G4orce Studios Senior Member • Posts: 1,284

Thank you everyone for the kind words.  It is always very rewarding to know that people appreciate my work.  I have a passion for concert photography that grows with every gig, even after ten years of shooting!

-- hide signature --

backayonder wrote:

My galleries are all flash based, something I began about 6 years ago.  I need to redesign my website to eliminate flash, since some mobile devices and i-products don't incorporate flash.

Sorry you can't view any of my work on your device.  I hope you are able to check out the site on a computer.

-- hide signature --

rui oliveira wrote:

Really wonderfull photos. Were these photos taken with flash?

None of the photos posted were taken with flash.

-- hide signature --

Paul Skelcher wrote:

Joe,

Can you license these shots for editorial use without any restrictions by the artists?

Paul

It varies, depending on the artist.  Some small club indie label bands have huge restrictions and others, like Elton John, have no agreement whatsoever, meaning I can sell or license them to anyone, at any time.  I never know what to expect.  Virtually all photos I take I can use not only for the publications I shoot for, but also for my own promotional use.

-- hide signature --
Arnold Cruz Regular Member • Posts: 230

Awesome! Thank you for sharing such inspiration!

Arnold Cruz's gear list:Arnold Cruz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
KasperW Regular Member • Posts: 136

Really wonderful shots!

I am a total amateur that just got the d600 for a safari. Went really well partly because i practiced for this.

Now on to shooting indoors with no flash.

What lens(es) are you using and which setting(s)?

Answer greatly appreciated!:-)

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: 1st year of concert photography with the D600 great stuff

Nice images. What a shot of John Mayer, well done.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads