New to DSLR: questions.

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions
erfmedeiros Forum Member • Posts: 73
New to DSLR: questions.

Hi everyone...

I've finally decided to start learning photography, so I got this (very) used D70s, since this stuff here in Brazil is obscenely overpriced.

Long story short, previous owner did not have the data cable. I noticed the original Nikon cable has some sort of filter near the end. I tried an ordinary standard USB cable but windows doesn't recognize it. So, is there a problem with the camera, do I have to use a cable with the bulky filter, am I not setting the camera correctly before plugging in, or none of the above?

More questions later.

Cheers!

erfmedeiros's gear list:erfmedeiros's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Nikon D70s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,454
no need

erfmedeiros wrote:

Hi everyone...

I've finally decided to start learning photography, so I got this (very) used D70s, since this stuff here in Brazil is obscenely overpriced.

Long story short, previous owner did not have the data cable. I noticed the original Nikon cable has some sort of filter near the end. I tried an ordinary standard USB cable but windows doesn't recognize it. So, is there a problem with the camera, do I have to use a cable with the bulky filter, am I not setting the camera correctly before plugging in, or none of the above?

More questions later.

Cheers!

Cable might not be compatible (more likely the software in the computer set up wrong) but shouldn't matter as you can simply use a card reader to move the files to your computer. That is the recommended way to do it. I actually never used the supplied cable to connect my D70 to a computer. In fact, I've never connected any DSLR to the computer directly as the chances for file corruption go up and no need really as a card reader is way simpler.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,513
Re: New to DSLR: questions.

erfmedeiros wrote:

Hi everyone...

More questions later.

Cheers!

I think the filter is just a magnet. I don't think its important

It may be a fault on the camera. It may be the camera has a menu options for setting the camera to be a mass storage device

But if it is broken then all you need is to use a card reader

My final tip is to get a RAW converter and shoot RAW. It really increases the image quality. The only thing that is really poor on the D70s is the jpg engine

JimCo Regular Member • Posts: 483
Re: no need

I agree. I have never used any kind of direct from-camera-to-computer cable. I always use a card reader connected to a USB port on the PC and put my camera's memory card into that. Then simply transfer the images directly to the PC. No fuss, no muss. Card readers are inexpensive. Do get one that will accept all 4 types of memory cards however. Then you'll be prepared for any future different SLRs that you may come by. Best wishes.

JimCo's gear list:JimCo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +7 more
sillyconguru Veteran Member • Posts: 3,057

You probably need to set the camera's USB mode to 'Mass Storage' rather than 'PTP', this option is found in the Setup Menu; see page 165 of the user manual.

sillyconguru's gear list:sillyconguru's gear list
Casio QV-5500SX Pentax Optio I-10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon ELPH 100 HS Fujifilm X20 +54 more
karl eller
karl eller Regular Member • Posts: 324

The filter you see on the end of cables is called a ferrite bead or choke, and it's job is to suppress high-frequency noise in the cable. In reality, they are there because regulations require them, and unless you are working in an area with very high levels of background EM noise (eg underneath a transmission tower) you won't notice anything if the filter isn't there.

karl eller's gear list:karl eller's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads