The Missions of San Antonio

Started Jan 21, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
gnagel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
The Missions of San Antonio
8

Although I enjoyed the Alamo, I found the other missions that comprise the Mission Trail in San Antonio to be more interesting from a photography perspective. Here are some of my favorites from the four other missions beyond the Alamo:

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

Thanks for looking...

Glenn

chrisd107 Contributing Member • Posts: 511
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Great shots, I like number 8 the best.

Chrisp
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

 chrisd107's gear list:chrisd107's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,609
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Nice series.

Especially helpful to me as I'm going there next month

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,985
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

I enjoy San Antonio in general and the missions in particular.  I most recently visited the missions during the last government shutdown, which hampered photography somewhat, but they were still generally visible from the outside.  Nice location.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

InTheMist
InTheMist Senior Member • Posts: 3,078
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Great shots as always, Glenn!

I like these a bit better than the Capital.  Different, more intense feel subject matter.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

 InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 J5 +18 more
MarceloLI
MarceloLI Veteran Member • Posts: 4,917
Re: The Missions of San Antonio
1

Beautiful set 7-8-11-12 are my favorites.

Marcelo

 MarceloLI's gear list:MarceloLI's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D7100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +21 more
gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

chrisd107 wrote:

Great shots, I like number 8 the best.

Chrisp
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Thanks Chris...I appreciate it.

Glenn

gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Nexu1 wrote:

Nice series.

Especially helpful to me as I'm going there next month

Thanks...you should have a great time. There are endless subjects for photography in the region.

Glenn

Tom_Bruno Senior Member • Posts: 1,098
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Nice shots.  Makes me want to go.  I've never been to San Antonio.

Those are nice, clean lines, lighting well balanced.  No distracting elements.  A couple of techinical Q's:  Handheld?  Any HDR's in there?  Did you do perspective distortion correction or just shoot straight on?

Thanks for posting.  It's a pleasure to look at these.
---------------
Tom B

 Tom_Bruno's gear list:Tom_Bruno's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 X Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

coronawithlime wrote:

I enjoy San Antonio in general and the missions in particular. I most recently visited the missions during the last government shutdown, which hampered photography somewhat, but they were still generally visible from the outside. Nice location.

-- hide signature --

http://www.nightstreets.com
-
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

Fortunately, the interiors were available to me during my visit. For much of my time there, it rained. So, the interiors allowed me to continue shooting.

Glenn

gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Tom_Bruno wrote:

Nice shots. Makes me want to go. I've never been to San Antonio.

Those are nice, clean lines, lighting well balanced. No distracting elements. A couple of techinical Q's: Handheld? Any HDR's in there? Did you do perspective distortion correction or just shoot straight on?

Thanks for posting. It's a pleasure to look at these.
---------------
Tom B

Thank you, Tom

All of these images were captured using a tripod, mirror lock up and a cable release.

All of these images are five to seven frame HDR.

I use the Photoshop Perspective Crop Tool to help straighten the lines. They are usually relatively straight out of camera as I try my best to keep the lens parallel to the subject. But, sometimes a correction is necessary during processing.

Glenn

glo Senior Member • Posts: 1,558
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Glenn,

You do well at the zoos, and you don't suck at architecture either. It's clear you take a lot of pride in the capture and processing.

glo

 glo's gear list:glo's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Nikon D3X Nikon D810 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 +2 more
gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

InTheMist wrote:

Great shots as always, Glenn!

I like these a bit better than the Capital. Different, more intense feel subject matter.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

Thanks...the subjects are very different, but both fun to shoot.

Glenn

gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

MarceloLI wrote:

Beautiful set 7-8-11-12 are my favorites.

Marcelo

Thank you, Marcelo

Glenn

gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

glo wrote:

Glenn,

You do well at the zoos, and you don't suck at architecture either. It's clear you take a lot of pride in the capture and processing.

glo

Thanks glo...  

Glenn

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: The Missions of San Antonio great

Very enjoyable viewing, thank you for posting.

I really find 'number 11' the door in light, quite intriguing, something extra special about that one methinks.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

 Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
TerryAnderson Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

gnagel,

Very nice work!  Thanks for posting these very nice images. Another nice time to visit San Antonio is around Christmas, the River Walk in the evening can be very nice. I also used to love to run to Austin for Loop 360 and the hill country with Mt Bunell. Great view.

I only wish I was able to visit now with the better glass that I have now and a DSLR vs a SLR and film.

-- hide signature --

All the best and keep on shooting
Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography

 TerryAnderson's gear list:TerryAnderson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +26 more
gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio great

Bajerunner wrote:

Very enjoyable viewing, thank you for posting.

I really find 'number 11' the door in light, quite intriguing, something extra special about that one methinks.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Thanks...at first while I was on site, I was a little disappointed with #11. I arrived at sunrise and noticed all the dappled lighting on the church. But, later I really liked the effect.

Glenn

gnagel OP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,912
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

TerryAnderson wrote:

gnagel,

Very nice work! Thanks for posting these very nice images. Another nice time to visit San Antonio is around Christmas, the River Walk in the evening can be very nice. I also used to love to run to Austin for Loop 360 and the hill country with Mt Bunell. Great view.

I only wish I was able to visit now with the better glass that I have now and a DSLR vs a SLR and film.

-- hide signature --

All the best and keep on shooting
Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography

Thanks Terry...

I was disappointed that I couldn't get any pictures of the River Walk. It was very cold and rainy most of the time--and the River Walk was dreary and deserted. Maybe next time...

Glenn

stratplaya Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: The Missions of San Antonio

Nice.  Did you happen to check out the Riverwalk?

SP

 stratplaya's gear list:stratplaya's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads