M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Started Jan 17, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Glesgaguy New Member • Posts: 2
M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Hi just picked up a M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro, there is a wee dial on the side of the lens, not sure what it does, the dial clicks into place for 3 of the 4 settings but if I try to put it into the 1:1 setting it springs back to previous setting.

Am I doing something wrong or is the lens broken.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Miron09 Contributing Member • Posts: 767
read the manual
1

1:1 is 1:1.

so the lens jumps into the !:1 setting, and you have to move the lens to the object until it appears sharp.

 Miron09's gear list:Miron09's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +15 more
GBC Senior Member • Posts: 1,102
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP
1

Lens is broken. Throw it away.

jeffinvan Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Yes, that's the expected behaviour.

 jeffinvan's gear list:jeffinvan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +7 more
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP
1

Glesgaguy wrote:

Hi just picked up a M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro, there is a wee dial on the side of the lens, not sure what it does, the dial clicks into place for 3 of the 4 settings but if I try to put it into the 1:1 setting it springs back to previous setting.

Am I doing something wrong or is the lens broken.

Thanks in advance

Andy

The only thing you did wrong was to start using the lens without first understanding how it works. 

The "wee dial" not locking into place in the 1:1 position does not mean it's broken, that's just the way it was designed. (I concede it is a bit confusing but they didn't ask me before producing the lens.) As the review associated with the first link says:

"Using the lens is not difficult to get used to once you figure out the small dial on the side of the lens. When choosing to use the lens in traditional mode the dial should be set to 0.4 to infinity. When shooting in macro mode, the dial should be set to the 0.19 to 0.4m setting. It will give you full 1:1 magnification. Moving the dial to the 1:1 setting automatically transfers the dial back to the 0.19-0.4m setting anyway. I used this action when I wanted a quick setting change to macro mode without having to look at the lens. Once I was used to changing the mode dial it was smooth sailing."

Digital Camera Review of 60mm Macro (with dial explanation)

There are other numerous reviews, blogs, posts etc. about the lens, that can be readily found by using Google. You might want to read some of them. Here are a couple; there are others if you are interested.

Review of 60mm Macro (with explanation of dial)

Robin Wong Review (shows how good the lens is)

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
local novice Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

I will admit it is confusing.  It also won't work if you try to use AF.  If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF.  Other than this it is a very nice lens.

 local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,256
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

GBC wrote:

Lens is broken. Throw it away.

Better yet, I'll take it off your hands!  

 Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +18 more
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
Glesgaguy OP New Member • Posts: 2
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

Glesgaguy wrote:

Hi just picked up a M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro, there is a wee dial on the side of the lens, not sure what it does, the dial clicks into place for 3 of the 4 settings but if I try to put it into the 1:1 setting it springs back to previous setting.

Am I doing something wrong or is the lens broken.

Thanks in advance

Andy

The only thing you did wrong was to start using the lens without first understanding how it works.

The "wee dial" not locking into place in the 1:1 position does not mean it's broken, that's just the way it was designed. (I concede it is a bit confusing but they didn't ask me before producing the lens.) As the review associated with the first link says:

"Using the lens is not difficult to get used to once you figure out the small dial on the side of the lens. When choosing to use the lens in traditional mode the dial should be set to 0.4 to infinity. When shooting in macro mode, the dial should be set to the 0.19 to 0.4m setting. It will give you full 1:1 magnification. Moving the dial to the 1:1 setting automatically transfers the dial back to the 0.19-0.4m setting anyway. I used this action when I wanted a quick setting change to macro mode without having to look at the lens. Once I was used to changing the mode dial it was smooth sailing."

Digital Camera Review of 60mm Macro (with dial explanation)

There are other numerous reviews, blogs, posts etc. about the lens, that can be readily found by using Google. You might want to read some of them. Here are a couple; there are others if you are interested.

Review of 60mm Macro (with explanation of dial)

Robin Wong Review (shows how good the lens is)

-- hide signature --

Tom

Thank you Tom

local novice Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

It doesn't for me. I read somewhere the technical reason AF is problematic at 1:1 but i can't remember it. I think that is one reason why most people seem to use MF at 1:1 macro. Maybe the other reason being to get the proper focus on a thin DOF, MF is better.  I don't know if it is peculiar to this lens, I only have used the 60mm for macro work.

 local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

local novice wrote:

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

It doesn't for me. I read somewhere the technical reason AF is problematic at 1:1 but i can't remember it. I think that is one reason why most people seem to use MF at 1:1 macro. Maybe the other reason being to get the proper focus on a thin DOF, MF is better. I don't know if it is peculiar to this lens, I only have used the 60mm for macro work.

I don't disagree with the practice of using MF for macro work.   Given the extremely thin depth of field when shooting insects, MF is a more precise method and is in fact what the "real" macro photographers over on the Macro and Still Life forum prefer.   I was just asking if you had found that AF physically would not function with your lens, as opposed to not delivering optimum results.

I tried mine before making my other post.  I set my lens to 1:1; it dropped back to the .19 - .4 meter mark as expected.  I then got about 5-6" from an object (a toenail clipper if you must know, nothing artsy about me!!), and the AF seemed to work OK.  In fact, at 6" handheld, I could not tell the difference between AF and MF images.  When I put the lens to within maybe 4" of the object, it focused but not as quickly.  At 2-3" it was definitely having trouble with AF.  Of course, the lower level of lighting indoors in my bedroom may have contributed to this; outdoors on a sunny day taking photos of a multicolored butterfly might be better.  (Of course, getting closer than 6 inches to a bug presents a different set of problems, in that they are likely to become spooked and fly off.)

Anyway, from my limited tests AF does work; it's just that the closer you get (6" or less), using MF will give better results.

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
cmorse Contributing Member • Posts: 503
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP
2

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Strictly speaking both AF and MF will not work at 1:1. The only way to focus at 1:1 is by moving the camera. If you attempt to use AF or MF you are no longer at 1:1.

 cmorse's gear list:cmorse's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
local novice Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

It doesn't for me. I read somewhere the technical reason AF is problematic at 1:1 but i can't remember it. I think that is one reason why most people seem to use MF at 1:1 macro. Maybe the other reason being to get the proper focus on a thin DOF, MF is better. I don't know if it is peculiar to this lens, I only have used the 60mm for macro work.

I don't disagree with the practice of using MF for macro work. Given the extremely thin depth of field when shooting insects, MF is a more precise method and is in fact what the "real" macro photographers over on the Macro and Still Life forum prefer. I was just asking if you had found that AF physically would not function with your lens, as opposed to not delivering optimum results.

I tried mine before making my other post. I set my lens to 1:1; it dropped back to the .19 - .4 meter mark as expected. I then got about 5-6" from an object (a toenail clipper if you must know, nothing artsy about me!!), and the AF seemed to work OK. In fact, at 6" handheld, I could not tell the difference between AF and MF images. When I put the lens to within maybe 4" of the object, it focused but not as quickly. At 2-3" it was definitely having trouble with AF. Of course, the lower level of lighting indoors in my bedroom may have contributed to this; outdoors on a sunny day taking photos of a multicolored butterfly might be better. (Of course, getting closer than 6 inches to a bug presents a different set of problems, in that they are likely to become spooked and fly off.)

Anyway, from my limited tests AF does work; it's just that the closer you get (6" or less), using MF will give better results.

-- hide signature --

Tom

That's interesting, I find it just doen't work on my copy and if I try to use it I lose 1:1.  Perhaps it is operator error or maybe this only happens in bad light.

 local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
local novice Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

cmorse wrote:

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Strictly speaking both AF and MF will not work at 1:1. The only way to focus at 1:1 is by moving the camera. If you attempt to use AF or MF you are no longer at 1:1.

you are correct.  That is what I meant by manual focus. I am not using correct terminology and stand corrected.

 local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

local novice wrote:

cmorse wrote:

Joseph T Lewis III wrote:

local novice wrote:

I will admit it is confusing. It also won't work if you try to use AF. If you switch it to 1:1 and try to use AF it will probably kick back out to the next magnification level. You need to switch to MF. Other than this it is a very nice lens.

Why do you say AF won't work at 1:1?

-- hide signature --

Tom

Strictly speaking both AF and MF will not work at 1:1. The only way to focus at 1:1 is by moving the camera. If you attempt to use AF or MF you are no longer at 1:1.

you are correct. That is what I meant by manual focus. I am not using correct terminology and stand corrected.

Agreed, I stand corrected as well.  I've only dabbled with macro and insects, but what little I have done was probably not at true 1:1 distance anyway.  I had originally interpreted local novice's first post to mean that when the lens was used at 1:1 with AF, it somehow physically switched back to the next closest setting or went out of AF mode.  My bad.

Live and learn...

-- hide signature --

Tom

 Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +7 more
JeanPierre Martel Senior Member • Posts: 2,921
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP
4

GBC wrote:

Lens is broken. Throw it away.

That's not funny. Someone is asking for help.

With its distance range selector, this lens is more complicated to use than any other m4/3 lens.

To the original poster: use Google Chrome (and Google translation) to get a rough translation of this article (in French):
http://jpmartel.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/m-zuiko-60mm-macro/

 JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +24 more
falconine Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Merci JeanPierre de votre article très instructif et bien écrit.

JeanPierre Martel Senior Member • Posts: 2,921
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

falconine wrote:

Merci JeanPierre de votre article très instructif et bien écrit.

De rien mon ami.

 JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +24 more
Bob Petruzzelli
Bob Petruzzelli Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

GBC wrote:

Lens is broken. Throw it away.

That's not funny. Someone is asking for help.

With its distance range selector, this lens is more complicated to use than any other m4/3 lens.

To the original poster: use Google Chrome (and Google translation) to get a rough translation of this article (in French):
http://jpmartel.wordpress.com/2013/01/06/m-zuiko-60mm-macro/

Hello,

And thank you for pointing out this article.  I understood this information by inferring it from other postings.  This is a very good description of how it should work.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Bob

 Bob Petruzzelli's gear list:Bob Petruzzelli's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
JeanPierre Martel Senior Member • Posts: 2,921
Re: M.zuiko 60mm 2.8 Makro wont do 1:1 HELP

Bob Petruzzelli wrote:
And thank you for pointing out this article. I understood this information by inferring it from other postings. This is a very good description of how it should work.

Thanks. I suspect that the English translation might be a little rough here and there but globally, anyone should understand how that lens works.

 JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads