Photographers unable to pronounce names of camera companies.

Started Jan 17, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Photographers unable to pronounce names of camera companies.

A recent survey by the Society of Camera Manufacturers has revealed that most consumers are unable to pronounce the names of many Japanese camera companies.

Brian B O'Brian, a photographic enthusiast, said "I just feel more comfortable referring to Panasonic as 'Panny'. It's like being in a special club. Also when I was a kid we used to have a dog called Runnymede but we always called him Runny because of his bowel problems, and I suppose that might have something to do with it."

At Middleton Stoney Camera Club member Ron Bore proudly showed off his new Oly. "I used to call Olympus cameras Olympus, but when I finally got one it seemed the right time to be a little less formal." he said. "Besides Olympus sounds a bit Greek to me now."

Social researcher Bud Light is keen to explain how owning the iPad Air had influenced this trend. "By typing Siggy, as opposed to Sigma, iPad owners don't actually save any time at all but they feel they do - and that's important when you have an iPad Air."

However the dominant camera brands, Canon and Nikon do not seem to suffer shortening in quite the same way. Instead they are often referred to jointly as Canikon. "Oh yeah, I do that too now" said a Canon owner. "I used to diss Nikon owners because frankly it's fun, but recently I've been thinking of getting a D800, not only for the resolution but for the DR, which is essential for my photos of ducks in the park, and so since I'll be a dual user I think using the description Canikon indicates I'm pretty knowledgeable about both brands .................."

A spokesman from Samsung refused to speculate on why photographers don't seem to refer to them as Sammy but added "You do know we're not Japanese don't you?"

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,306
Has to do with which part of the world!

This has been raised many times over the years I've been here, like Neekon vs Nighkon. But this isn't limited to camera brands, also car brands like Porsche, Porcha, Porch.

Just the way it is.

Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Getting your life back.

For me, if I use a phone or tablet device, there is no real keyboard. So abbreviations are necessary. If I have to type Canon and Nikon or canikon. I save 8 keystrokes and 2 shift button hits. I gain back seconds of my life. Like reading and replying to this dumb post. I have lost minutes of my life I will never get back.

meland wrote:

A recent survey by the Society of Camera Manufacturers has revealed that most consumers are unable to pronounce the names of many Japanese camera companies.

Brian B O'Brian, a photographic enthusiast, said "I just feel more comfortable referring to Panasonic as 'Panny'. It's like being in a special club. Also when I was a kid we used to have a dog called Runnymede but we always called him Runny because of his bowel problems, and I suppose that might have something to do with it."

At Middleton Stoney Camera Club member Ron Bore proudly showed off his new Oly. "I used to call Olympus cameras Olympus, but when I finally got one it seemed the right time to be a little less formal." he said. "Besides Olympus sounds a bit Greek to me now."

Social researcher Bud Light is keen to explain how owning the iPad Air had influenced this trend. "By typing Siggy, as opposed to Sigma, iPad owners don't actually save any time at all but they feel they do - and that's important when you have an iPad Air."

However the dominant camera brands, Canon and Nikon do not seem to suffer shortening in quite the same way. Instead they are often referred to jointly as Canikon. "Oh yeah, I do that too now" said a Canon owner. "I used to diss Nikon owners because frankly it's fun, but recently I've been thinking of getting a D800, not only for the resolution but for the DR, which is essential for my photos of ducks in the park, and so since I'll be a dual user I think using the description Canikon indicates I'm pretty knowledgeable about both brands .................."

A spokesman from Samsung refused to speculate on why photographers don't seem to refer to them as Sammy but added "You do know we're not Japanese don't you?"

Cane Veteran Member • Posts: 6,900
Re: Photographers unable to pronounce names of camera companies.

Is that guys name really Bud Light?

Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Did you perhaps miss the humour?

Mike_PEAT wrote:

This has been raised many times over the years I've been here, like Neekon vs Nighkon. But this isn't limited to camera brands, also car brands like Porsche, Porcha, Porch.

Just the way it is.

Of course it is.

But I am 110% the OP meant it humorously.

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Good one!

+1

Regards, Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,482
All about the syllables

meland wrote:

I've never seen Siggy before. Oly and Panny, sure. No camera company needs more than two syllables. It works for Nikon. It works for Canon. it works for Leica. Sony not only has only two syllables, but 4 letters, and that may be partly responsible for its recent successes with the RX line. Samsung has two syllables, but 7 letters, so that might be getting in the way of success (though it manages to sell plenty of phones and TVs). Two syllables certainly works for Apple. And then there's that upstart video company: Red. I'm not sure how only one syllable will work out. Sony recently dropped the NEX name from its mirrorless cameras, preferring to call them Alpha, like its almost-DSLRs. They must know something.

The days of the many syllable camera companies are over. Mamiya, Hasselblad. Who was the first DSLR maker to bit the dust ? Ko*ni*ca Mi*nol*ta ... good grief !!! Never had a chance.

Ricoh may have a confusing lineup with Pentax in the fold, but it apparently learned from Konica Minolta and isn't branding anything Ri*coh Pen*tax.

Ford is Ford, but Chev*ro*let is Chevy. Type chevy.com in your browswer and you get to Chevrolet's home page. Dodge, Chrysler, Audi, Volvo, Porsche. Oldsmobile was Olds, and now they're gone. Pon*ti*ac has to be next. Cadillac is Caddy; they're struggling to appeal to young buyers (hint: TWO SYLLABLES !!!) Nissan, Honda, Hyundai (Hun*dai), Kia ... Toyota gets away with three somehow.

Google "two syllable company names" and you get plenty of hits on pages offering advice for coming up with company names. They provide examples like Google, Twitter, Facebook, Nike, Dreamworks, Pixar, eBay, Paypal.

So, my advice to Panasonic and Olympus is to change their company names. Go for two syllables. And maybe rebrand mi*cro*four*thirds while you're at it.

Lafi New Member • Posts: 9

ha! love this. Personally I always call my phone Sammy

ajscullard Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Sense of humor transplant donors need not reply

Mind you, Hassy and Bronny users were often a bit square!

Les Berkley
Les Berkley Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

I would'a bought the Siggy

But the Siggy is too biggy.

The Tammy has the wahammy

But the Roky has the bokey!

Les Berkley's gear list:Les Berkley's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

Les Berkley wrote:

I would'a bought the Siggy

But the Siggy is too biggy.

The Tammy has the wahammy

But the Roky has the bokey!

Excellent!

bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 21,529
Re: Has to do with which part of the world!

Mike_PEAT wrote:

What's the difference between a Porsche (poor sha) and a porcupine?

Just the way it is.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Rusty502 New Member • Posts: 7

Has something to do with where it carriers it's STICKERS me thinks..........

Rusty502's gear list:Rusty502's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
bosjohn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,890

I  have never had any trouble pronouncing my german camera as leeeka

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 21,529

Has something to do with where it carriers it's STICKERS me thinks..........

In a Porsche, the prick is on the inside.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,324
Oulinbasi! Some song!

In Chinese, Olympus is Oulinbasi! (In cantonese it's different!)

In Japanese, it's pronounced Orinpisu (if you pronounce it Olinpisu it sounds feminine)

Samsung is pronounced almost like "some song" in Korean

I think Canon ("cannon") fits English better than Jianeng or Kyanon

It depends on the language you're speaking

OP (unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: Oulinbasi! Some song!

canonagain123 wrote:

In Chinese, Olympus is Oulinbasi!

In Japanese, it's pronounced Orinpisu (if you pronounce it Olinpisu it sounds feminine)

Actually the point I was trying to make was not so much about pronunciation, or the language spoken, so in that I fully accept that the title of the OP wasn't the greatest, but the curious tendency some have to shorten photographic company names and end them with a Y, e.g. Tammy, Panny, Siggy, Oly, etc.

Anyone care to explain why they do that?

EvokeEmotion Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Canikon is a term DSLR haters like to use and it definitely has derogatory overtone. And yes, the haters intent it that way.

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Alleg1 Contributing Member • Posts: 936
Re: Oulinbasi! Some song!

meland wrote:

canonagain123 wrote:

In Chinese, Olympus is Oulinbasi!

Actually the point I was trying to make was not so much about pronunciation, or the language spoken, so in that I fully accept that the title of the OP wasn't the greatest, but the curious tendency some have to shorten photographic company names and end them with a Y, e.g. Tammy, Panny, Siggy, Oly, etc.

Anyone care to explain why they do that?

Surely, they are terms of affection are they not?

They are on a par with referring to a photographer as a "tog", equally naff, in my view..

Alleg1's gear list:Alleg1's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Olympus E-510
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,196

Lafi wrote:

ha! love this. Personally I always call my phone Sammy

I never call my phone unless I can't find it

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads