Infinity focus adjustment for FD-NEX Lens Turbo

Started Jan 15, 2014 | Discussions
Rich O Regular Member • Posts: 421
Infinity focus adjustment for FD-NEX Lens Turbo

I got the Lens Turbo clone below from ebay a few weeks ago.

Like the results I am getting, but I believe it is not focusing to infinity.

I believe if it is not reaching infinity the rear element needs to be moved closer to the sensor. Is that correct?

I believe there are marking for a spanner wrench to rotate both the rear element and the entire lens group.

Which do I need to move just the rear element of the entire lens group?

Can anyone assist with how to adjust this Lens Turbo for infinity and how to test for proper infinity focus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich O's gear list:Rich O's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +13 more
OP Rich O Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: Infinity focus adjustment for FD-NEX Lens Turbo

Can anyone help me with this?

fotowbert
fotowbert Veteran Member • Posts: 3,268
Metabones Speed Booster is adjustable .... but

The only user adjustment of infinity focus for focal reducers that I have seen mentioned here is for the Metabones Speed Booster.  IIRC it involved loosening something and rotating the optical unit as mentioned here in the 8th bullet point.

Couldn't find it on the Metabones site but it used to be at this link:

http://www.metabones.com/smart-adapter-operation-manual/155-infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

You might try moving the entire unit first but carefully mark position so you can undo your adjustment.  Good luck.

• John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Shuggie New Member • Posts: 5

Rich O wrote:

Hi Rich,

I have the same focal reducer and I adjusted mine by loosening the ring you see in the gap on the camera side of the adapter.  Once this is loosened, you will be able to turn the entire lens group and adjust the focus.  Once repositioned, just tighten the ring again to lock it in place.

I hope this helps,

Shugs

Murx Regular Member • Posts: 194

Shuggie wrote:

Rich O wrote:

Hi Rich,

I have the same focal reducer and I adjusted mine by loosening the ring you see in the gap on the camera side of the adapter. Once this is loosened, you will be able to turn the entire lens group and adjust the focus. Once repositioned, just tighten the ring again to lock it in place.

I hope this helps,

Shugs

Correct - one more note: once you reach infinity you can actually try and move the lens even closer to the sensor - inceases the crop factor again and if you have bad corners with FF ...you can slightly improve this  .. (but i will admit that this very slight improvement borders on superstition .. )

Shuggie wrote:

Rich O wrote:

Hi Rich,

I have the same focal reducer and I adjusted mine by loosening the ring you see in the gap on the camera side of the adapter. Once this is loosened, you will be able to turn the entire lens group and adjust the focus. Once repositioned, just tighten the ring again to lock it in place.

I hope this helps,

Shugs

Thanks.

How do loosen the ring?  Spanner wrench?  How much did you turn to get to infinity and what is an easy way to test?

Shuggie New Member • Posts: 5

Rich O wrote:

Shuggie wrote:

Rich O wrote:

Hi Rich,

I hope this helps,

Shugs

Thanks.

How do loosen the ring? Spanner wrench? How much did you turn to get to infinity and what is an easy way to test?

A spanner wrench is ideal but I just used a screwdriver and carefully pushed the ring to loosen it.  I think I turned the lens group all the way out towards the camera.  Just try and focus the lens to infinity to check.  You may want to make some reference marks before you begin.

Thanks I'll give it a try.  So the ring is securing the lens group in place, but the lens group itself is on a thread the can be turned?  Is that correct?

Murx Regular Member • Posts: 194

Rich O wrote:

Thanks I'll give it a try. So the ring is securing the lens group in place, but the lens group itself is on a thread the can be turned? Is that correct?

correct.

aruk5 Regular Member • Posts: 149

Shuggie wrote:

Rich O wrote:

Shuggie wrote:

Rich O wrote:

Hi Rich,

I hope this helps,

Shugs

Thanks.

How do loosen the ring? Spanner wrench? How much did you turn to get to infinity and what is an easy way to test?

A spanner wrench is ideal but I just used a screwdriver and carefully pushed the ring to loosen it. I think I turned the lens group all the way out towards the camera. Just try and focus the lens to infinity to check. You may want to make some reference marks before you begin.

Hi

I is it possible for you to post some pictures or some detailed instructions explaining how to do this?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads