Why no scene modes on Canon S120 as other P&S cameras have?

Started Jan 14, 2014 | Questions
borabora4 New Member • Posts: 16
Why no scene modes on Canon S120 as other P&S cameras have?

I have been comparing the Sony RX100 II, Nikon P330 and Canon S120. I want a small, pocketable P&S for the enthusiast with manual functions as well; with good low light capabilities. I want a travel camera that I can take quick photos and use scene modes (beach, snow, sport, pets, etc.) but also have the manual functions if I want them. Why didn't Canon put in multiple scene modes on the S120?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon Coolpix P330 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
B1ackhat Senior Member • Posts: 1,975
Re: Why no scene modes on Canon S120 as other P&S cameras have?

The Canon S-series has always had scene modes and the S120 is no exception.  Hence the inclusion of a "Scene" selection on the mode dial.

-- hide signature --

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant

OP borabora4 New Member • Posts: 16

But I am not seeing the type of modes that the Nikon P330 has. The Nikon website lists 21 Scene Modes including:

Back Light, Beach, Candelight, Dusk/Dawn, Food, Museum, Pet Portrait, Silhouette, Sports, Sunset and eleven more.  Can I find those on the S120?  Am I not looking through prompts correctly?

The S120 website, several on-line 3rd party reviews and the Canon Technical Support talk about the S120 in "Smart Auto" automatically recognizes the situation and choses up to 58 different scene types.  How can it know I am going to take a action photo so I need the Sports mode and need an increased shutter speed?

Thanks.

Puglover2 Junior Member • Posts: 46

The camera detects that the subject is in motion and selects setting based on the motion. The camera displays an icon on screen to indicate it set the settings based on the motion. For instance, it displays a setting sun icon when it detects a sunset and settings are auto set based on sunset scene. There is a little chart on page 34 of the PDF manual that shows the icon displaying on screen for the type of scene detected when using Auto mode.

Additionally, there are some scene choices that can be selected in the scene mode.

boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 579

Unfortunately, the auto scene selection (in "Auto" mode) doesn`t work so well for fast moving subjects, I guess that "Tv" mode (where you get to set the shutter speed yourself) is the only real choice to avoid blurry photos... See my topic S110/S120, "Kids&Pets" scene alternative?, no answers there so far

Having some of of the scenes bundled into "Auto" mode selectable manually from the "Scene" mode would be just great, also allowing for some nice artistic effects, when desired.

Instead, Canon chooses to minimize the scene selection possibilities in each new iteration, I guess they want to make the camera "simple to use", where having too many options to choose from confuses certain users, maybe even giving headaches to customer support... lol.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X
Heyseuss Hoolio
Heyseuss Hoolio Contributing Member • Posts: 583

What kind of scene modes are you looking for?  They're there.  Once you turn the dial on the top to scene or the other one that has some two moons or something you can enter the menu by pressing the func. select button in the center and then select a number of different effects and scenes.

boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 579

Thanks for your reply, Heyseuss Hoolio, but I`m well aware of the scene modes S120 have, and it surely misses some that can be found on previous models and/or other PowerShot series. To name a few I really miss:

• Kids&Pets (Sports) (topic)
  • Stitch Assist (Panorama)
  • Beach
  • Foliage
  • Color Accent
  • Color Swap

While I really like some of the new scenes (like "Star" and "Background Defocus"), S120 doesn`t have the upper mentioned ones, unfortunately (where missing at least "Stitch Assist" is pretty unbelievable, while others offer seamless "Sweep Panorama" modes...).

Also, "My Color" settings work in JPEG mode only, meaning that once you select JPEG+RAW, JPEG won`t be using the "My Color" setup (discussed in this topic).

Checking the user guide, it seems the camera can opt for "Children" scene preset (while in "Auto" mode), quote: "So you don`t miss a photo opportunity of children who move around, the camera will capture three consecutive images for each shot". I guess these will be with some faster shutter speed, too? Again, not manually selectable, but strictly left for the camera to decide if it should be used (though maybe it could be mimicked using the "burst" shooting?).

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X
Heyseuss Hoolio
Heyseuss Hoolio Contributing Member • Posts: 583

boogisha wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Heyseuss Hoolio, but I`m well aware of the scene modes S120 have, and it surely misses some that can be found on previous models and/or other PowerShot series. To name a few I really miss:

• Kids&Pets (Sports) (topic)
  • Stitch Assist (Panorama)
  • Beach
  • Foliage
  • Color Accent
  • Color Swap

While I really like some of the new scenes (like "Star" and "Background Defocus"), S120 doesn`t have the upper mentioned ones, unfortunately (where missing at least "Stitch Assist" is pretty unbelievable, while others offer seamless "Sweep Panorama" modes...).

Also, "My Color" settings work in JPEG mode only, meaning that once you select JPEG+RAW, JPEG won`t be using the "My Color" setup (discussed in this topic).

Checking the user guide, it seems the camera can opt for "Children" scene preset (while in "Auto" mode), quote: "So you don`t miss a photo opportunity of children who move around, the camera will capture three consecutive images for each shot". I guess these will be with some faster shutter speed, too? Again, not manually selectable, but strictly left for the camera to decide if it should be used (though maybe it could be mimicked using the "burst" shooting?).

OH ok, I see. That's too bad they got rid of some of the scene selections.  I didn't think they'd be too different.

And the S110 does the same thing and only allows you to set your jpeg settings while ONLY jpeg is selected.  I always shoot jpeg+raw and it would be nice to have the jpegs with your inputs.  I don't know why they did that but it's really annoying.

The camera itself takes amazing photos and I'm very impressed with what it can do, but I wish they added a bit more to the menu system, it's pretty bland and for a photographer having this as a pocket system it doesn't have a lot of options at all.

OP borabora4 New Member • Posts: 16

Thank you for all the input.  So I wasn't the only one annoyed by this!

neveredit New Member • Posts: 9

I also miss the Color Accent on my brand new S120, I would have never thought that Canon would not supply it with this model, I had this feature in my S110 and I used it all the time.

neveredit's gear list:neveredit's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads