Tamron 150-600mm Lens thread number 2

Started Jan 13, 2014 | Discussions
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 1,987
Re: Tamron 150-600mm Lens thread number 2

A bit of a crazy comparison with the Canon 600mm prime, costing more thna ten times more, but still interesting...

http://theamazingimage.com/wildlife/field-test-new-tamron-150-600mm-super-telephoto-zoom/#prettyPhoto

John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,225
Re: Tempting this is

bryand7k wrote:

Hehe Jim ... i've got those concerns too!

I am seeing some users over at Fred Miranda forums reporting some AF issues.

Also looking at the MTF charts this lens is going to best from F8-F11 ... I've not really shot my 300 at those ... so this is going to be upping the ISO to get those sharpest pics

600mm at f/9 gets the same amount of subject photons as 300mm at f/4.5; the effective physical aperture is what determines how much total subject light you get, given a certain subject distance, shutter speed, and illumination. Higher ISO because of higher magnification does not equal greater subject noise.

Also, the sweet spot at 600mm is only significant if you are going to do some cropping. If you nearly fill your frame at 600mm with your desired composition, and are not going to make a poster-sized print, there is no need to be at the sweet spot, as the sharpness gets wasted. So, if you shoot at 600mm and f/6.3, you are getting as much subject light as 300mm and f/3.15.

The AF is the thing to look out for, IMO - it didn't impress me outdoors on an overcast day on my 7D, although it worked very well indoors with my 6D.

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,940

I came across this image which looks very good considering it is backlit. He has some nice shots in his photostream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66682425@N02/12233029495/

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
op1318 Regular Member • Posts: 244

Some very nice images indeed !

Sharp, nice bokeh, great colors...

Can't wait to to see the Sony A-mount version of this lens!

op1318's gear list:op1318's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +18 more
Olivier15 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Very impressive! You can also see a good deal of the environment reflected in the bird's eye.

evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,440
Re: Will we ever get the Nikon mount?!

vwsjr wrote:

Just noticed on B&H photo that the date for the Nikon model is now listed as March 31st. I ordered from another store that doesn't have a date posted now, but originally they had February 4th listed. Having to wait until the end of March would be disappointing. I knew it was going to be later than the Canon mount, but I wasn't thinking there would be that big a difference.

Vern

i hope it will be worth the wait. i will likely hold back a month or so beyond its release to see if the nikon version has no focus problems as some canon users are reporting.

some of the pics coming up on he web are looking pretty good. the lens seems capable of decent feather detail, nice bokeh and good enough sharpness at 600mm in good light getting better when stopped down.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sony a6000 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +5 more
ABA DABA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,074

somewhere around March or April

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

RobByePhoto
RobByePhoto Regular Member • Posts: 276

A Flickr group has been formed specifically to showcase images from the Tamron 150-600. For those interested: http://www.flickr.com/groups/2470447@N21/

-- hide signature --

Rob Bye

RobByePhoto's gear list:RobByePhoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,145
Tamron 150-600mm Lens - why not for Pentax?

Demoguy wrote:

I have been a Pentax shooter since 2007. I have a Sigma 100-300mm F4 with a 1.4x TC which gets me to 420mm. This is still way too short for birds, and I just can't spend $5000.00 on a lens. I decided to purchase a gently used Nikon D300 for @ $450.00 and order the Tamron 150-600mm lens. I have looked at all of the test shots coming out of Hong Kong and the lens seems very good. Since I have to wait for the Nikon version this will give me a chance to learn the camera before the lens arrives. I am waiting impatiently for the lens to arrive.

Annoying that they do not produce a Pentax version. Why they ignore a very reputable producer of high quality equipment (and at the same time are producing one with Sony mount) is a mystery to me.

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Christoph Stephan

Kris in CT wrote:

Wow, those are pretty sweet for such a slow shutter speed! I like the 3rd the best, looks like the duck acted as an anchor just enough to slow the Eagle down so the head was sharp.. Very cool, thanks for sharing..

Did he/she get the duck in the end?

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Christoph Stephan

SHood wrote:

I came across this image which looks very good considering it is backlit. He has some nice shots in his photostream.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66682425@N02/12233029495/

-- hide signature --

Superb shots, particularly this one showing you the tongue. If they were done with the Tamron 150-600 nm, they are a strong argument in favour of this lens.

OP Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698
Re: Tamron 150-600mm Lens - why not for Pentax?

Christoph Stephan wrote:

Demoguy wrote:

I have been a Pentax shooter since 2007. I have a Sigma 100-300mm F4 with a 1.4x TC which gets me to 420mm. This is still way too short for birds, and I just can't spend $5000.00 on a lens. I decided to purchase a gently used Nikon D300 for @ $450.00 and order the Tamron 150-600mm lens. I have looked at all of the test shots coming out of Hong Kong and the lens seems very good. Since I have to wait for the Nikon version this will give me a chance to learn the camera before the lens arrives. I am waiting impatiently for the lens to arrive.

Annoying that they do not produce a Pentax version. Why they ignore a very reputable producer of high quality equipment (and at the same time are producing one with Sony mount) is a mystery to me.

-- hide signature --

Could be that Sony owns a considerable amount of Tamron and Olympus and is the industry leader in broadcast quality video gear and still sells more still cameras than Pentax. I have nothing against Pentax as I used to shoot a Honeywell/Pentax way back in the 60's and a 6x7 in the late 70's but if I was a third party lens maker and one of my company owners made cameras and used my lenses rebadged as theirs I think I would make really sure I made a lens that fit their cameras before making any for a company that sells less than this combination.

Best I could quickly find is a 2009-2010 global market share chart and I am sure the positions of Sony and Pentax have only moved a spot or two since then

http://thenewcamera.com/global-ranking-of-cameras-manufacturers/

I this is accurate and near close to today's sales (I am sure Nikon is above Sony now) then you have your answer in terms of business strategy.

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 4,940
BIF images
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
shenango
shenango Regular Member • Posts: 139
Re: BIF images

SHood wrote:

These were recently posted.

http://jjbird.smugmug.com/Photography/Tamron-150600-Lens/i-SCF5vdP

-- hide signature --

WOW! Great images. I wish I were there.

-- hide signature --

Shenango

shenango's gear list:shenango's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Cambell Forum Member • Posts: 83

The images I am seeing people get out of this lens are making me lust after it! It is seemingly prohibitively expensive to get it in Australia at the moment still, so I will be waiting a few months more until it is easier to get a hold of the best price I got was $1600 AUD, which is a bit much for me, considering the true cost of the lens

Cambell's gear list:Cambell's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
gregp701 Contributing Member • Posts: 639

I've been seriously considering shelling out $2700 for the new version Nikon 80-400... Oh man am I glad I've waited. Hard to believe I can get this for less than half that. This will be my next lens for sure.

gregp701's gear list:gregp701's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX10 II Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
OP Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

Greg I do not know that specific lens as I do not shoot Nikon gear but one has to keep in perspective that with very few exceptions one usually gets what one pay's for today. If you are buying this 150-600 to exceed the IQ of the 80-400 I would have to say that would be unlikely to happen. But, if you are buying the 150-600 for a long tele zoom and its IQ is good enough for your needs and wants or offers you more of what you want in a area or two then you will be in great shape.

I have the Sony 70-400g and it is a exceptional lens and though I have pre ordered the 150-600 I in no way expect it to exceed the 70-400's IQ or even replace it as good enough. Will I be happy and use the 150-600mm? I am pretty sure I will but I am not buying it to replace anything nor do I expect it to have the IQ of a $10k 600mm fixed fast lens or even my $2k 70-400G either. But, I do expect it to give me a image I can work with and accept for my needs and wants in a very long telephoto zoom lens and how I plan on using it.

gregp701 Contributing Member • Posts: 639

Jim, I do agree that in this world, in most cases, you get what you pay for. That being said, the image quality that I've seen so far (and only from Canon bodies), this Tamron looks to be every bit as good as the Nikkor. I would be interested in seeing a side by side comparison and I'm sure in time, it will be done. But, from what I can see, there's not roughly $1600 worth of favorable image quality difference in the Nikkor. Not even close. Faster focusing I'm sure, but image quality, no.

I like shooting birds. Mainly the kind sitting still. So the speed of the lens isn't a big issue which by the sound of it, the Nikkor is better. I just want nice, crisp sharp shots. I already have a 300 f4 prime and tele so it was tough to swallow buying the expensive zoom. I do believe this lens will be a nice addition to my kit without much buyers remorse. Now if I ever win the lottery, I'll own a couple of those long, fast primes!

gregp701's gear list:gregp701's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX10 II Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
vwsjr
vwsjr Regular Member • Posts: 491

Also "you get what you pay for" has some qualifications.  It doesn't necessarily hold true when you are comparing products manufactured years apart.  Even though they are in the same price range, I believe the Tamron will be better than the Sigma 150-500 I own, just because coatings and other technologies have improved.  Have they improved enough to make the lens better than a $10,000, lens manufactured five years ago, almost definitely not, but it may not be as far off as the price would indicate if you were talking about two products being introduced at the same time.

vwsjr's gear list:vwsjr's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +10 more
hires Regular Member • Posts: 425

I'm getting the feeling that Tamron shipped a limited number of these lenses to drive up interest as evidenced by all the thousands of posts.  Enough already. Some of us are getting tired of waiting.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads