WU-1B and D600 thoughts and experiences

Started Jan 13, 2014 | Discussions
Kendunn Contributing Member • Posts: 838
WU-1B and D600 thoughts and experiences

OK, lets try this again, posted inadvertent in DX.

Purchased the above for a D600 knowing there were some issues, but I loved being able to use my Nexus 7 via USB OTG for a video monitor to focus for video recording since we all know how poor that is on this, if not most DSLRs, and wanted to cut the cord. I had read and noticed that DSLRDashboard has the option for the wu-1b now and I read reviews with the same set up I have that were favorable, but I am having issues. It works sometimes, but if you disconnect you have to restart the tablet. I have tried forcing the app to stop, reconnecting WiFi, etc, but nothing else works. I would like to hear others experience and also if there are other apps that might work (Nikon's is pretty useless). Like others have said this has so much potential but so poorly executed it isn't funny.

Also I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is even worse.  I can't even get DSLRDashboard to work at all, even with OTG cable.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rick_Hunter Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Re: WU-1B and D600 thoughts and experiences

Kendunn wrote:

Purchased the above for a D600 knowing there were some issues, but I loved being able to use my Nexus 7 via USB OTG for a video monitor to focus for video recording since we all know how poor that is on this, if not most DSLRs, and wanted to cut the cord. I had read and noticed that DSLRDashboard has the option for the wu-1b now and I read reviews with the same set up I have that were favorable, but I am having issues. It works sometimes, but if you disconnect you have to restart the tablet. I have tried forcing the app to stop, reconnecting WiFi, etc, but nothing else works. I would like to hear others experience and also if there are other apps that might work (Nikon's is pretty useless). Like others have said this has so much potential but so poorly executed it isn't funny.

Also I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is even worse. I can't even get DSLRDashboard to work at all, even with OTG cable.

My wireless experience (D600, WU-1b, Samsung Galaxy Note, DSLRdashboard) is less than stellar, like yours.

Connection is unstable, some functions don't work at all (focus stacking for instance... takes only the first shot then everything hangs up) and I am constantly forced (whenever the damn thing goes haywire) to switch off the phone's wifi, kill the app, restart wifi, reconnect to camera, reopen the app, then it works for another 5 minutes or so.

I have totally given up using it trough wifi. With a USB cable everything works pretty well (I only have a small glitch: whenever I use DSLRdashboard it sets the camera exposure delay to 3 sec, go figure...)

In terms of wireless operation, I now only use the (crappy) nikon app (WMU) to download the occasional picture or two from the camera to the phone. I don't use that app to trigger the camera since it only shoots in auto mode (why, oh why, nikon, WHY???)

I have bought an ML-L3 infrared remote to trigger the camera instead. If I need DSLRdashboard functionalities (E.G. focus stacking) I use the USB cable and never even think about using the wifi adapter.

Rick_Hunter's gear list:Rick_Hunter's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
OP Kendunn Contributing Member • Posts: 838

I have a friend that is an app developer, I wonder if Nikon would hand over the keys to the kingdom for others to develop a better mouse trap?  It would only help them.

kopp Regular Member • Posts: 145

Hi Each

Whilst not using the Wi Fi & have been trying to get the Dashboard up & running with cable onto my Samsung S3 mini & D800.

The front page of dashboard shows OK, but the camera is not seen by the ‘phone, & am unable to progress from the initial page at all.

Have the correct cable, although the same ‘front page’ was showing when using direct USB cable from camera to ‘phone.

Any ideas would be appreciated, as I am not exactly a computer expert.

Thanks

Tony

I could never get it to running on my S4, but tried this and it worked. This is from the developer.

Uninstall the OpenCV Manager and install this one: https://code.google.com/p/dslrdashboard/downloads/detail?name=OpenCV_2.4.6_Manager_2.9_armv7a-neon.apk&can=2&q=#makechanges After installing it disable auto update for it

I had to go in and allow to run apps not from trusted sources, but so far it hasn't bricked my phone.

I just got to thinking (did you hear the ground rumbling?) and figured the reason for the Nikon app being so simple is that is all the device can handle.  Surely they tried to do more and things just couldn't deal with it.  So instead of scrapping the project they made the app as simple as possible.

Stephen Brenner Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: WU-1B and D600 thoughts and experiences - Try the TP-Link

I've got the D600 and the WU-1B and the Nexus 7 (2013) using DSLRDashboard and had the same inconsistent connection problem that others have experienced. I ended up buying the TP-Link mobile router. It's only $30 and is basically the same router as the camranger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088PPFP4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The connection is way more reliable. Please note that in order to use the tp-link you will need
to update the firmware (to a WRT compatible setup) and make some configuration changes. I provided some instructions in another thread regarding this.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52583772

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 14,038

Ditto, except my experience with the WU-1B is on a Nikon V2.

Terrible connection problems, even at 3 foot range.   After an hour of trial, I'm pretty much giving up on it.  I bought it refurbished, so it was a cheap experiment.

I also just took delivery of a TP-Link router, but I haven't flashed it yet to get it going (with a D800e).  Looks like a nice product though, and I can use it as a travel router as well in hotels with wired connections.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Tim O'Connor
Tim O'Connor Veteran Member • Posts: 5,074

Yep, the WU-1B has been pretty much useless.  Shame, because I like the form factor.

-- hide signature --
 Tim O'Connor's gear list:Tim O'Connor's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon D500 Sony Alpha a7R III +22 more
Red G8R
Red G8R Senior Member • Posts: 1,788

The few times I've used it with my iPad, it has worked great.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Joe Tam Contributing Member • Posts: 894

Don't know if this will help but I had same problem on my D4+WT-5 using an adhoc connection to transfer images to my ipad mini using shuttersnitch app.

It would work once and then it wouldn't send/connect the second time. I would have to restart my ipad mini. Turns out it's a static IP issue.

Look at this:

http://www.shuttersnitch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1263

Look at step #16 at the bottom.

Now I can send images to my ipad all day. Sometimes I cannot connect but that is rare.

Also, my GX-7 was having problems and this solved it

http://www.shuttersnitch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1418&p=5763#p5800

(Not sure what that does but it worked).

Good luck.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
kopp Regular Member • Posts: 145

Hi Kendunn,

Thanks for the help, will give it a try & see how I get on.

ATB

Tony

Rick_Hunter wrote:

Kendunn wrote:

Also I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it is even worse. I can't even get DSLRDashboard to work at all, even with OTG cable.

(I only have a small glitch: whenever I use DSLRdashboard it sets the camera exposure delay to 3 sec, go figure...)

I may be able to help (sort of) with that.  I have found if I put it in CL drive mode it takes away the delay, but also takes a series of 3 shots, so not perfect, but one solution.  I bet next release of DSLRDashboard will be great

Stephen Brenner Regular Member • Posts: 359

Kendunn wrote:

Rick_Hunter wrote:

(I only have a small glitch: whenever I use DSLRdashboard it sets the camera exposure delay to 3 sec, go figure...)

I may be able to help (sort of) with that. I have found if I put it in CL drive mode it takes away the delay, but also takes a series of 3 shots, so not perfect, but one solution. I bet next release of DSLRDashboard will be great

That 3 second delay is really annoying. I even setup a custom setting in my camera so I could more easily set it back. About a month ago I saw that the programmer was offering a patch addressing that issue for those savvy enough to know how to apply it.  I'm surprised that that hasn't shown up yet in the next release (which would be much easier for the average user).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads