SONY ANSWERED!!!!!

Started Jan 12, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,334
SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
13

Finally

I asked Imaging Resources if they could get some clarification from Sony over what the discontinuation of the NEX name means:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/03/the-ir-ces-2014-interviews-submit-your-questions-for-the-camera-manufacture

parallaxproblem 5 days ago

If you get the chance to speak with Sony, though I know they aren't on your list:

Can you ask them to please clarify exactly what the discontinuation of the NEX product name means to current NEX owners?

Is there any change of design 'concept' with the newly merged and renamed APS-C rangefinder E-mount models or are future releases likely to maintain continuity with the older NEX series?

Recent releases have seen the EVF position moved such that the bodies now have an 'SLR' type look rather than the NEX 'brick' style - has this become the new format for all E-mount bodies or are we likely to see both body styles in future?

Can Sony better explain what the naming of their bodies represents: ie.

Ax = Full Frame E-mount?

Axx = A-mount SLT?

Axxx = A-mount OVF (now discontinued)?

Axxxx = APS-C E-mount?

Do the numbers 3/5/7 and 9 still represent 'entry', 'mid-range', 'semi-pro', 'pro' respectively as they did with Minolta cameras or is there another convention now?

Could you also ask Sony why the NEX-5T wasn't finally called the A5000, even though test and early production samples of the camera seemed to carry that model name written on the body? This is a mystery as the newly released A5000 (second Sony E-mount camera to carry the name!) appears to be a NEX-3 replacement leaving current NEX-5 series owners like myself wondering what is going on. Thanks!

THEY VERY KINDLY DID ASK AND SONY ANSWERED!!!!

Its all here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/10/whither-nex-what-does-the-end-of-the-nex-moniker-mean-for-e-mount-fans

Happy!

Summary:

Point 1: we don't call them NEX, we call them ILCE (I guess that's FF ILCE and APS-C ILCE)

Point 2: the A5000 is the update to the NEX-3n. It is not a NEX-5 update. This implies that it is not a merge of the two series so a NEX-5 replacement is still theoretically possible

Point 3: Sony are still 'commited to A-mount'

Point 4: The NEX name was killed because it became 'too popular' (!) and people were referring to the cameras as NEX instead of Alpha. Sony were concerned that people 'wouldn't realise that there was cross-compatibility between A-mount and E-mount'. I kid you not, this is the direct quote:

"However, the NEX model name prefix seems to have grown in prominence, such that the general public refer to them as NEX cameras instead of Alpha cameras. And therefore there was some concern on our part that they might not be perceived as Alpha cameras.

The model name prefix started to segregate our E-mount cameras from our A-mount cameras," and that was never our intention.

There was also confusion about compatibility. The model name prefix had grown to take on all kinds of significance, and there was concern that consumers could easily misunderstand there to be a lack of compatibility between the two. Our A-mount cameras and E-mount cameras share many cross-compatibility characteristics, yet there was a perception that NEX and Alpha were somehow quite different."

It sounds to me that there was some internal company politics here and 'management envy' or something similar. I can't really accept 'too much public recognition' as a reason for dropping a brand name!

Why couldn't they have said this all three months ago? Well, a few points for finally communicating with us and lots of thanks to Imaging Resource for making them 'fess-up'

Now we have to see what the new APS-C models look like...

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

 parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R
Sony a5000 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
El Matadurr
El Matadurr Senior Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
5

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll still call any rangefinder-styled E-mount cameras in the future a NEX though, even if only in my own mind.

matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Vaughn T.Winfree
Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!

El Matadurr wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll still call any rangefinder-styled E-mount cameras in the future a NEX though, even if only in my own mind.

matthewdurrphotography.com

I don't care I guess what they call it just as long as I do see a NEX-7 successor... However I will still think of it as a NEX unless it has a hump in the middle.. I think SONY messed up dropping the NEX name... It was very popular especially outside the United States. Oh well.

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined.
'See what the camera see's, letting the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

 Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more
PVCdroid
PVCdroid Senior Member • Posts: 3,843
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
3

Thanks for putting the request in to IR and I'm happy they at least addressed it although the answers are just off the wall - "We have to kill this sub brand cause it's getting too popular". As if Alpha was up on some pedestal. Ha. Now that's just too strange. I wish they would rethink this over the next year or two. It's going to be more difficult to find accessories meant for APS-C cameras without the  NEX name. I use it all the time to search for stuff. Now it will be a search on "Sony Alpha APS-C E-mount" accessories? Stupid.

 PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7R II
Jun2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,235
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!

still puzzled by killing of "NEX" name.  Too popular is good, no?

 Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,797
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!

Nice going, a poor answer from Sony is better than no answer at all. I doubt they are telling the whole truth, or not very much of it, for that matter. Now this revelation coming from up high will be chewed around for weeks, on this forum.

Kudos.

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,710
re: of course... Corvettes, Acuras, Mustangs or Corollas...
1

...should be called by some mind dumbing... letters+numbers combinations for danger of killing their respective mother brands - the most absurd and numbingly idiotic attempt to cover up their obvious blunder of killing a golden eggs goose

jpr2

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,797
Re: NEX, we hardly knew ya. R.I.P.!
1

NEX, we hardly knew ya.
To many happy years of Sony Alpha ILCE shooting.

Jabba23 Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
2

At the end of the day this affects nothing. All of these things were fairly obvious when they happened or when you asked these questions or just didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. At least you can sleep at night now.

-- hide signature --

Darren Krusi

 Jabba23's gear list:Jabba23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
parallaxproblem OP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,334
Re: re: of course... Corvettes, Acuras, Mustangs or Corollas...
1

jpr2 wrote:

...should be called by some letters+numbers combinations for danger of killing their respective mother brands - the most absurd and numbingly idiotic attempt to cover up their obvious blunder of killing a golden eggs goose

jpr2

Hello, Bartender!  Can I have a can of Coke Cola...  sorry I mean formula 543319.1.54X please?  Hold on, that's Orange and looks like Tango...  or is Tango 54X and Coke 59X?   Erm...   erm...  actually, do you have any water?

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

 parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R
teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,126
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
4

parallaxproblem wrote:

It sounds to me that there was some internal company politics here and 'management envy' or something similar. I can't really accept 'too much public recognition' as a reason for dropping a brand name!

Portfolio Management is a growing marketing buzzword and the current train of thought across the consumer goods industry is to reduce brands. I am surprised you received feedback in that companies typically would not share that "strategic insight". A company more or less doubles marketing costs and resources to maintain 2 brands (in this case: Sony Alpha and Sony NEX)... long term it is much more efficient to just focus on Sony Alpha.... with twice as many products under that big umbrella. It will also create a little more flexibility as they evolve mirrorless body design as the NEX body stereotype will fade into distant memory... and old timers will have to refer to "the Sony Alpha mirrorless cameras with the cropped sensors, formerly known as NEX, that have the EVF in the upper left vs. a hump in the middle".

There may have been internal politics driven by a consultant on this one as this is the new popular guidance consultants are offering to help drive efficiency and strengthen brands. The argument of "too much public recognition" actually makes sense.... if one is to cut it, cut it sooner rather than later before that brand continues to grow.

 teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
darklamp Senior Member • Posts: 3,567
Darwin award for marketing
1

Brand name too popular ? Kill it.

Can't beat that, but the idiot who did it ought to be.

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 26,339
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!

still puzzled by killing of "NEX" name.  Too popular is good, no?

"Too popular" = "Low class"

"Alpha" is on a higher plane and signifies "high quality".

The NEX of course was seen as a camera little better than a compact camera where you can change lenses.

This is a marketing take and known by marketing as "re-branding".

Look forward to a price rise to justify the new name's aura.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,710
Tom: from the very I-st moment I've picked the N7-classic...
1

Tom Caldwell wrote:

"Alpha" is on a higher plane and signifies "high quality".

The NEX of course was seen as a camera little better than a compact camera where you can change lenses.

...of the display shelves in Oct. 2011 it was oozing quality (still remember that pleasant feel in my muscles memory) - from then it was a downward spiral all the time - yes, I know you feel/decided differently, but to me the Nex-6 never felt this solid and well designed.

So... the perception of a "higher plane of high quality" Alphas is simply not there: the journey from N7-classic through the humpy-dumpy A7s, to arrive at a5000 feels like a clear mark that everything gets on a more-trashy-all-the-time bandwagon

jpr2

1prime Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
1

PVCdroid wrote:

"Sony Alpha APS-C E-mount" accessories? Stupid."

I agree. That's an unnecessary mouthful.  As I posted earlier, Ford didn't wipe out the name Mustang because its myriad of followers and buyers didn't call it by the parent company's name. Something's either smelly or wrong here. It wasn't brand confusion causing this. And will a future, we hope, NEX 7x be a rangefinder. From what I read it will look like the A7. What a downer!

-- hide signature --

1prime

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
1

parallaxproblem wrote:

Finally

I asked Imaging Resources if they could get some clarification from Sony over what the discontinuation of the NEX name means:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/03/the-ir-ces-2014-interviews-submit-your-questions-for-the-camera-manufacture

parallaxproblem 5 days ago

If you get the chance to speak with Sony, though I know they aren't on your list:

Can you ask them to please clarify exactly what the discontinuation of the NEX product name means to current NEX owners?

Is there any change of design 'concept' with the newly merged and renamed APS-C rangefinder E-mount models or are future releases likely to maintain continuity with the older NEX series?

Recent releases have seen the EVF position moved such that the bodies now have an 'SLR' type look rather than the NEX 'brick' style - has this become the new format for all E-mount bodies or are we likely to see both body styles in future?

Can Sony better explain what the naming of their bodies represents: ie.

Ax = Full Frame E-mount?

Axx = A-mount SLT?

Axxx = A-mount OVF (now discontinued)?

Axxxx = APS-C E-mount?

Do the numbers 3/5/7 and 9 still represent 'entry', 'mid-range', 'semi-pro', 'pro' respectively as they did with Minolta cameras or is there another convention now?

Could you also ask Sony why the NEX-5T wasn't finally called the A5000, even though test and early production samples of the camera seemed to carry that model name written on the body? This is a mystery as the newly released A5000 (second Sony E-mount camera to carry the name!) appears to be a NEX-3 replacement leaving current NEX-5 series owners like myself wondering what is going on. Thanks!

THEY VERY KINDLY DID ASK AND SONY ANSWERED!!!!

Its all here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/01/10/whither-nex-what-does-the-end-of-the-nex-moniker-mean-for-e-mount-fans

Happy!

Summary:

Point 1: we don't call them NEX, we call them ILCE (I guess that's FF ILCE and APS-C ILCE)

Point 2: the A3000 is the update to the NEX-3n. It is not a NEX-5 update. This implies that it is not a merge of the two series so a NEX-5 replacement is still theoretically possible

Point 3: Sony are still 'commited to A-mount'

Point 4: The NEX name was killed because it became 'too popular' (!) and people were referring to the cameras as NEX instead of Alpha. Sony were concerned that people 'wouldn't realise that there was cross-compatibility between A-mount and E-mount'. I kid you not, this is the direct quote:

"However, the NEX model name prefix seems to have grown in prominence, such that the general public refer to them as NEX cameras instead of Alpha cameras. And therefore there was some concern on our part that they might not be perceived as Alpha cameras.

The model name prefix started to segregate our E-mount cameras from our A-mount cameras," and that was never our intention.

There was also confusion about compatibility. The model name prefix had grown to take on all kinds of significance, and there was concern that consumers could easily misunderstand there to be a lack of compatibility between the two. Our A-mount cameras and E-mount cameras share many cross-compatibility characteristics, yet there was a perception that NEX and Alpha were somehow quite different."

It sounds to me that there was some internal company politics here and 'management envy' or something similar. I can't really accept 'too much public recognition' as a reason for dropping a brand name!

Why couldn't they have said this all three months ago? Well, a few points for finally communicating with us and lots of thanks to Imaging Resource for making them 'fess-up'

They likely assumed people were:

1- Not overly invested in names, rather cared about the cameras themselves

2- That thought about the names, had the sense to figure it out themselves.

Now we have to see what the new APS-C models look like...

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
1prime Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
1

Tom Caldwell wrote:

still puzzled by killing of "NEX" name. Too popular is good, no?

"Too popular" = "Low class"

"Alpha" is on a higher plane and signifies "high quality".

The NEX of course was seen as a camera little better than a compact camera where you can change lenses.

This is a marketing take and known by marketing as "re-branding".

Look forward to a price rise to justify the new name's aura.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tom, It seems to me "The NEX of course was seen as a camera little better than a compact camera where you can change lenses." is simply a Sony failure to market correctly. I spend time in a high end tourist destination, and the carried cameras up till now are either NEX or Leica!  That is, rangefinders. How easy to carry and shoot. It's unfortunate Sony didn't realize the attraction of a rangefinder camera and SELL IT. Even the Sony Reps the sent to the big box stores had just a vague knowledge of NEX cameras and certainly didn't sell them to me. I was surprised then, but not now. As another poster on this thread stated, "WHAT A MARKETING DISASTER!"

-- hide signature --

1prime

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!

1prime wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

"Sony Alpha APS-C E-mount" accessories? Stupid."

I agree. That's an unnecessary mouthful. As I posted earlier, Ford didn't wipe out the name Mustang because its myriad of followers and buyers didn't call it by the parent company's name. Something's either smelly or wrong here. It wasn't brand confusion causing this. And will a future, we hope, NEX 7x be a rangefinder. From what I read it will look like the A7. What a downer!

-- hide signature --

1prime

NEX was always an Alpha. As I have repeatedly noted, it was not a good thing for Sony for people to see NEX as a competing brand to Alpha, when it was "Alpha NEX". But let us look at any specific accessory that might be an issue. Can you think of any?

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
The goose laid golden eggs because...
1

jpr2 wrote:

...should be called by some mind dumbing... letters+numbers combinations for danger of killing their respective mother brands - the most absurd and numbingly idiotic attempt to cover up their obvious blunder of killing a golden eggs goose

jpr2

of its name?

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
1prime Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Re: SONY ANSWERED!!!!!
2

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

1prime wrote:

PVCdroid wrote:

"Sony Alpha APS-C E-mount" accessories? Stupid."

I agree. That's an unnecessary mouthful. As I posted earlier, Ford didn't wipe out the name Mustang because its myriad of followers and buyers didn't call it by the parent company's name. Something's either smelly or wrong here. It wasn't brand confusion causing this. And will a future, we hope, NEX 7x be a rangefinder. From what I read it will look like the A7. What a downer!

-- hide signature --

1prime

NEX was always an Alpha. As I have repeatedly noted, it was not a good thing for Sony for people to see NEX as a competing brand to Alpha, when it was "Alpha NEX". But let us look at any specific accessory that might be an issue. Can you think of any?

Yes, EG, most or all of us are aware of this oft repeated fact. Every day we see the Alpha (or Greek a) on our cameras. While I'm not sure if you are asking the name of a specific accessory, but this begs the question we are raising here. Our repeated question is why was Sony so silly to erase an easily identified label for a complex one? Who will remember ILCEDQ?  Did I get that correct? Is that the current brand of my camera? And when I recommend it to friends, will it even be available?

-- hide signature --

1prime

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads