X100(s) and X-Pro1 owners, what is your usage ratio between OVF and EVF?

Started Jan 10, 2014 | Questions
Mike Guffin
Mike Guffin Regular Member • Posts: 493
Re: X100(s) and X-Pro1 owners, what is your usage ratio between OVF and EVF?

1) Depends, mostly OVF.

2) OVF

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +5 more
pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,867
Re: 100% EVF

songeun7 wrote:

I use focus distance meter display on OVF. It tells you very accurately whether it is focused on not. You should try it.

If your subject in 1 foot in front of another object, does it tell you if the subject or the other object is in focus? I suppose if you are a carpenter you may know the subject is 6 feet and the other object is 7 feet.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

j0llysnowman
j0llysnowman Forum Member • Posts: 85

I'm mostly in manual focus, in which case I'm restricted to the EVF. When I use autofocus, I will arbitrarily switch back and forth between the viewfinders, since it doesn't matter toooooo much. I never use the LCD so I can save on battery life

So my ratio for OVF:EVF is probably 1:5 or something like that.

j0llysnowman's gear list:j0llysnowman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

pavi1 wrote:

100% EVF.

You have no indication what is being focused on with the OVF. It may be the subject or the background.

There's a focus box as well as a distance scale. The focus box is good enough on it's own, but if used in combination, you will nail focus every time.

Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576

About 50:50. When light is good or subject not to close >> OVF.  When light is not too good or subject is close  >> EVF.

I've got to remember that I can't use the OVF in macro mode.  Sometimes I forget the camera is in macro mode and can't figure out why I can't switch it to OVF.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
PascallacsaP
PascallacsaP Contributing Member • Posts: 520
99% EVF

Didn't expect this when I bought the X100s, but the direct WYSIWYG feedback from the EVF does it for me. The OVF is great, but I prefer the EVF, despite its lagginess.

PascallacsaP's gear list:PascallacsaP's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2
BRPWS Contributing Member • Posts: 626

never

-- hide signature --

Elliot

BRPWS's gear list:BRPWS's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Ross Kennedy Regular Member • Posts: 300
Re: 100% EVF

songeun7 wrote:

I use focus distance meter display on OVF. It tells you very accurately whether it is focused on not. You should try it.

Thanks - I'll give that a try. I would actually like to use the OVF more…maybe my New Year resolution will be to learn the OVF properly!

I tend to shoot a lot of shallow DOF travel portraits (i.e. no second chances if I mess up), so the EVF is just more reliable.

mr moonlight wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

100% EVF.

You have no indication what is being focused on with the OVF. It may be the subject or the background.

There's a focus box as well as a distance scale. The focus box is good enough on it's own, but if used in combination, you will nail focus every time.

I see the green focus box and the distance scale. But how do you now if the focus is on your subject or the person 1 foot behind. I like to see my subject in focus before taking the picture and then getting home and finding out the focus is on something else. This happens too much with the EVF, I can only imagine how much it must happen with the OVF.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 230

75% OVF
25% EVF, for tight framing and closeups.

That's what I originally expected.

Also, in the OVF I've set it to have minimal information displayed; in the the EVF I've got quite a bit in the display.
--
"Anything more than 500 yards from the car just isn't photogenic." - Edward Weston

mdavidp Senior Member • Posts: 2,116

x100, Xpro1, XE-2,  100% EVF.

MP

mdavidp's gear list:mdavidp's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma dp1 Quattro +8 more
Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

100% rear LCD for both cameras.

mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

pavi1 wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

100% EVF.

I see the green focus box and the distance scale. But how do you now if the focus is on your subject or the person 1 foot behind. I like to see my subject in focus before taking the picture and then getting home and finding out the focus is on something else. This happens too much with the EVF, I can only imagine how much it must happen with the OVF.

If your subject is let's say 6' away, then even at f2, your DOF is going to be well over 1.5'. So the person you're taking a photo of as well as the person 1' behind will be in focus. At 6' or closer, a persons face will also cover the entire focus box, so there shouldn't be much question as to weather or not you focused on the person right behind them. As your subject moves farther back, your DOF increases dramatically. At 10' you get almost 5' of DOF. So even if you do hit the person 2' behind, your subject will be in focus. If you raise your f stop to 5.6, at 10' you get around a DOF of around 20'. This is the point where you can set your camera to MF at these settings and shoot all day without touching your focus... thus the beauty of zone focusing.

The real issues come in when your at f2 and your subject is around 10' away with only half the focus box on their head. That's when your distance scale comes into play. It's not much of an issue if you miss and hit something a foot or so back, but if you hit something 5' back your subject will be OOF. If you're having a hard time seeing what's at 6' or 10', take a quick look at what the average head size looks at 10' and whenever you see it cover that percentage of the focus box, make sure your distance scale shows something around 10'. Another good way is to think about it in steps. Three steps for me equals about 7', four steps, just over 9'. It's a lot easier then it sounds.

The EVF or even the LCD is too small to see if something's in focus without magnifying. So you're better off using the distance scale there as well. Using a smaller focus box will also help if you're using the EVF/LCD.

Apteryx6 Contributing Member • Posts: 889
90% OVF

kevinschoenmakers wrote:

How often would you say, percentage wise, do you use either? Also, what did you think your ratio would be like when you first bought your camera?

About 90% OVF, 9% EVF, and very occasionally the LCD.

I was an early adopter of the X100 (March 2011) and there wasn't much to go on to expect how often I would use each VF when I got it. I think I anticipated toggling between them almost on a shot by shot basis to see which worked best. But early on I used the OVF more than now. One use of the EVF that I had not anticipated is to deal with flare  (holding my free hand up to block the sun from the lens, using the EVF to check that it is working and that my hand is not in the frame).

-- hide signature --

Apteryx

kaldalons Regular Member • Posts: 148
fuji

1) 50% -50%  2) 95% - 5%

-- hide signature --

It´s better to be dead and cool than on alive and uncool!!!

Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,468
OVF too innacurate

The OVF was a huge selling point when I bought my XPro1....if it hadn't had one I doubt I would have bought the camera. Then a funny thing...the framelines in the OVF (especially 2 yrs ago) were HUGELY inaccurate. I pride myself in my compositions and I literally never crop in post...get it tight at the moment of shooting and maximize the MP available has always been my motto. Out of necessity I started using the EVF and to be honest it gradually grew on me when I initially hated it....because at least the composition is 100% accurate.

The recent FW update improved the OVF accuracy greatly, but only on certain lenses! My 35mm as an example is now quite accurate using the OVF, but my 23mm is way too innacurate to trust the framelines. Really disappointing as I don't understand why they don't fix this.

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH +3 more
wcowan
wcowan Contributing Member • Posts: 510
99% Rear Screen or EVF

I rarely use the OVF in practice on my X100, and could happily live without it.

-- hide signature --

William Cowan
See some of my photos at http://www.radiantphotograph.com

wcowan's gear list:wcowan's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +2 more
beespeckled
beespeckled Senior Member • Posts: 2,174

x100 - I use the EVF 99%/OVF 1%

But, I'm used to the benefits of a good EVF since I've been using an SLT's since 2010.   If set to OVF I keep waiting for the settings info to appear as well as for the camera to adjust to lighting etc.

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P850 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A77 +10 more
WT Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,495

I have not read the rest of the responses but I figure I am about 85-90% OFV.

-- hide signature --

Warren

mr moonlight wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

100% EVF.

If your subject is let's say 6' away, then even at f2, your DOF is going to be well over 1.5'. So the person you're taking a photo of as well as the person 1' behind will be in focus. At 6' or closer, a persons face will also cover the entire focus box, so there shouldn't be much question as to weather or not you focused on the person right behind them. As your subject moves farther back, your DOF increases dramatically. At 10' you get almost 5' of DOF. So even if you do hit the person 2' behind, your subject will be in focus. If you raise your f stop to 5.6, at 10' you get around a DOF of around 20'. This is the point where you can set your camera to MF at these settings and shoot all day without touching your focus... thus the beauty of zone focusing.

The real issues come in when your at f2 and your subject is around 10' away with only half the focus box on their head. That's when your distance scale comes into play. It's not much of an issue if you miss and hit something a foot or so back, but if you hit something 5' back your subject will be OOF. If you're having a hard time seeing what's at 6' or 10', take a quick look at what the average head size looks at 10' and whenever you see it cover that percentage of the focus box, make sure your distance scale shows something around 10'. Another good way is to think about it in steps. Three steps for me equals about 7', four steps, just over 9'. It's a lot easier then it sounds.

The EVF or even the LCD is too small to see if something's in focus without magnifying. So you're better off using the distance scale there as well. Using a smaller focus box will also help if you're using the EVF/LCD.

Much easier just to watch the subject come into focus in the EVF. This is the number one reason the DSLR will be around for many years to come.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads