FROM CES: Kodak PixPro S-1 MFT camera and lenses in April 2014

Started Jan 8, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
AussieMFT Junior Member • Posts: 25
FROM CES: Kodak PixPro S-1 MFT camera and lenses in April 2014
3
Acrill
Acrill Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Re: FROM CES: Kodak PixPro S-1 MFT camera and lenses in April 2014

Not really a micro four thirds mount.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
AussieMFT OP Junior Member • Posts: 25
I believe it is a MFT camera...
1

Read the whole article and see the picture (of a guy holding the camera).

Acrill wrote:

Not really a micro four thirds mount.

n3eg
n3eg Senior Member • Posts: 1,644
Re: FROM CES: Kodak PixPro S-1 MFT camera and lenses in April 2014
1

AussieMFT wrote:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news

CES 2014: Kodak S-1 compact system camera to debut in ‘April’
Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/540332/ces-2014-kodak-s-1-compact-system-camera-to-debut-in-april#5LeVxCqKIsihB2aJ.99

About freakin' time.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

 n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +48 more
lattesweden Contributing Member • Posts: 723
Re: I believe it is a MFT camera...
1

Some quick text, already bed time long time ago here.

It was announced a year ago already.

If you google it you'll find lots of pictures of it. Like this:

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Kodak-S1-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera-1.jpg

Seams m43 alright. There is one picture on the net of the mount and it is very m43 looking I think.

http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Kodak-S1-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera-2.jpg

Also I found that JK Imaging/Kodak has joined the M43 group. There was a press release from Oly about that.

Seams like a Oly PL5 concept. Sony sensor is said to be mounted in it, could be good if they buy premium ones from Sony.

Here is a picture with it and a Oly lens, so seams m43.
http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Kodak-S1-mirrorless-interchangeable-lens-camera-4.jpg

These pictures have been on the net for a while but from what I can see the new picture of the spokesperson that is in the above linked article, holds the same camera:

https://default.secure.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11134/00000321b/9577/JKimaging1050350.low.jpg

And if you read the article, they will release three lenses, the standard kit zoom, the tele zoom and a fixed of 400 mm (800 mm in 35 mm terms). The last one seams interresting!

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
I'm from Sweden, but my pictures are in all languages: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
I'll be interested in that 400mm
1

if it's any good.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

 Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
stinelise
stinelise Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: I'll be interested in that 400mm

Art_P wrote:

if it's any good.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

it will brob. be a 400mm mirror lens F11 ....

But hopefully something better.

//Stine Lise

 stinelise's gear list:stinelise's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Hardly a mirror lens

it will prob. be a 400mm mirror lens F11 ....

But hopefully something better.

//Stine Lise

it's a very long f6.3 lens

http://ces.cnet.com/2300-35292_1-10019346-11.html

Actually looks roughly the same length as my Aetna Super Coligon 400/6.3 but a tad slimmer.

Why would I want another 400/6.3?  Well, if it is AF and sharper than the Aetna, I would be tempted, but if it's MF, or not particularly sharp, I wouldn't be gaining anything.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

 Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
zkz5
zkz5 Contributing Member • Posts: 665
Re: FROM CES: Kodak PixPro S-1 MFT camera and lenses in April 2014

Acrill wrote:

Not really a micro four thirds mount.

You're probably thinking of Sakar. They're the joke that produced that Polaroid-labeled Nikon 1 ripoff and called it Micro Four Thirds (which was actually neither). Nikon sued them.

baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,029
Re: I'll be interested in that 400mm

Art_P wrote:

if it's any good.

It looks a lot like the 400mm f6.3 Spiratone lens sold in the back of the Photo magazines back in the 1970's. It was pretty inexpensive and I often was tempted to order one because it was pretty cheap. Maybe they found an old one and knocked it off.

 baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
Steen Bay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,974
BSI-CMOS sensor?
1

According to DPR's news story the S-1 has a 16mp BSI-CMOS sensor. Very interesting if that's the case (would be the largest BSI sensor yet), but think it's most likely that it's a typo.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/09/jk-imaging-updates-kodak-line-with-superzooms-and-smart-lenses?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 3,887
Sony sensor

Another page I saw says it's a Sony made sensor.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon Df Nikon D750 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +7 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 10,571
Re: BSI-CMOS sensor?

Steen Bay wrote:

According to DPR's news story the S-1 has a 16mp BSI-CMOS sensor. Very interesting if that's the case (would be the largest BSI sensor yet), but think it's most likely that it's a typo.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/09/jk-imaging-updates-kodak-line-with-superzooms-and-smart-lenses?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Shame on me, but I have no clue about BSI. What does it mean?

Can it be bull-sh*t-incredible?

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
TheEngineer Regular Member • Posts: 292
Re: BSI-CMOS sensor?
1

s_grins wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

According to DPR's news story the S-1 has a 16mp BSI-CMOS sensor. Very interesting if that's the case (would be the largest BSI sensor yet), but think it's most likely that it's a typo.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/09/jk-imaging-updates-kodak-line-with-superzooms-and-smart-lenses?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Shame on me, but I have no clue about BSI. What does it mean?

Can it be bull-sh*t-incredible?

I think it refers to "backside illuminated" which means that all the "connections" to the photo sites are on the backside of the sensor and so there is more space for the photo sites themselves. This should result in a higher image quality.

 TheEngineer's gear list:TheEngineer's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS 6D +13 more
lattesweden Contributing Member • Posts: 723
Re: BSI-CMOS sensor?

Yes, I was also curious about that. It is a said to be a Sony sensor in the Kodak. Sony made the RX100 mkII to have the first to my knowledge BSI 1 inch sensor. This would mean if it is correct that they now can make them even larger to M43 size.

Now, if the BSI tech did make the RX100 mk II better than the mkI is very debated. Some say yes, some say no, since it seams that the claimed noise gain is not found due to the mkII having an ISO scale that is less sensitive than the mk I. So at the same ISO the mkII picks a slower shutter speed, but it does have lower noise on a higher ISO setting than mkI. But to get the same shutter speeds you need to bump the ISO on the mkII. I only have the mkI so I haven't been able to test myself.

Another interresting item in the new Kodak lineup is the 400 mm/6,3 lens. Has anyone found out if it has AF?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
I'm from Sweden, but my pictures are in all languages: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

Pedagydusz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,258
Re: BSI-CMOS sensor?

I doubt that it will have AF. Somewhere in the Press Release in MFT Rumors they mention "A spotting scope lens". If it is that one, it will be only AF

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +2 more
Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
yes

doesn't look to be a modern design w lots of exotic elements... just a straight forward 'spy glass'.

But if it's AF, sharp and cheap, it should sell well.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

 Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 10,571
Re: BSI-CMOS sensor?

TheEngineer wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

According to DPR's news story the S-1 has a 16mp BSI-CMOS sensor. Very interesting if that's the case (would be the largest BSI sensor yet), but think it's most likely that it's a typo.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/09/jk-imaging-updates-kodak-line-with-superzooms-and-smart-lenses?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0

Shame on me, but I have no clue about BSI. What does it mean?

Can it be bull-sh*t-incredible?

I think it refers to "backside illuminated" which means that all the "connections" to the photo sites are on the backside of the sensor and so there is more space for the photo sites themselves. This should result in a higher image quality.

Thank you, bro. Now I know what BSI stands for. Still, I have a problem with illumination that actually is something else.

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads