Indoor/Restaurant NEX Lens?

Started Jan 8, 2014 | Discussions
sharon_j Regular Member • Posts: 165
Indoor/Restaurant NEX Lens?

I have a NEX 5n and my favorite lens with it is the SEL50. However I want a wider fast NEX lens to shoot indoors especially in restaurant settings. I'm torn between the SEL20 and the SEL35, the SELP1650 seems too slow.

-- hide signature --

Sharon

sharon_j's gear list:sharon_j's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
kaku Contributing Member • Posts: 680
Re: Indoor/Restaurant NEX Lens?

If you can afford it, the Zeiss SEL24f1.8 would be a good candidate.

If you don't plan on shooting people, the SEL20 would be best for indoor shots. Or couple it with a (bounce) flash for people. Otherwise, the SEL35 would be the way to go (even if a bit tight for indoors use).

JeffGo Contributing Member • Posts: 840

I use the SEL35 for this.

JeffGo's gear list:JeffGo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +12 more
bryanchicken Regular Member • Posts: 309

kaku wrote:

If you don't plan on shooting people, the SEL20 would be best for indoor shots. Or couple it with a (bounce) flash for people. Otherwise, the SEL35 would be the way to go (even if a bit tight for indoors use).

If the SEL20 is a consideration you should also consider the Sigma 19. Same 2.8 aperture and good wide open. I recently picked one up for £90.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 496

I recommend SEL35F18.
It is good from F2, you can use it for static scenes at 1/10s handheld,
it has fast enough AF, you can use it for filming because it has good OSS.
It is not very wide, you cannot shoot many people at your table...

120 to 35 Senior Member • Posts: 1,268

35mm is not quite wide enough for smaller restaurants or for shooting more than one person across the table. I used a 28mm lens the other day and it covered the person sitting across the table in a vertical shot. 24mm is the better focal length as it does not distort the faces near the sides. With any wider lens, you should be careful about geometric distortion on the sides.

fboosman New Member • Posts: 13

kaku wrote:

This is what I use in such situations and it's magnificent. The best lens I've ever owned -- though I admit my photography experience is much more limited than many folks here.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977

I have a NEX 5n and my favorite lens with it is the SEL50. However I want a wider fast NEX lens to shoot indoors especially in restaurant settings. I'm torn between the SEL20 and the SEL35, the SELP1650 seems too slow.

-- hide signature --

Sharon

Either 20/2.8 or 35/1.8 work well for me depending on situation (group size). I almost never carry any of my 50mm lenses when space is at a premium.

If budget is less of an issue, consider 24/1.8.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
baltimorecaesar Regular Member • Posts: 470

Without splitting hairs, I would say that is really two separate lenses (Indoor & Restaurant).  For an "indoor" lens, I think of shooting my son running around the livingroom somewhere in the 5-15' range and generally use the SEL35f18 on my NEX-7.  On the other hand, when I think of a "restaurant" lens, I think of my subject matter as either food or people sitting across from me at a table in the 1-5' range and generally use my EXCELLENT Sigma 19mm f/2.8.

baltimorecaesar's gear list:baltimorecaesar's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
icycool123 Regular Member • Posts: 166

Definitely the sel 20. If the restaurant is really dark, dont hesitate to use a little fill light from the flash. 35 is a little tight for group photos.

007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,481
Don't forget the SIGMA 30 (5mm wider than sony 35/1.8)

icycool123 wrote:

Definitely the sel 20. If the restaurant is really dark, dont hesitate to use a little fill light from the flash. 35 is a little tight for group photos.

Don't forget the cheap, affordable, and very sharp Sigma 19mm and 30mm.

If you find Sony 35/1.8 a tad tight, Sigma 30mm is a great alternative

If SIZE isn't a premium, Sigma 19mm offer better IQ @lower price.

Vato915
Vato915 Forum Member • Posts: 58

fboosman wrote:

kaku wrote:

This is what I use in such situations and it's magnificent. The best lens I've ever owned -- though I admit my photography experience is much more limited than many folks here.

Yep. Same here: if you can afford it, it is phenomenal for indoor, low-light situations. Plus the 36mm equivalent is great for a restaurant setting.

I took the above photo with the Zeiss 24 in a very, VERY dark restaurant in LA last summer.

-- hide signature --
 Vato915's gear list:Vato915's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS M Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,021

Without splitting hairs, I would say that is really two separate lenses (Indoor & Restaurant).  For an "indoor" lens, I think of shooting my son running around the livingroom somewhere in the 5-15' range and generally use the SEL35f18 on my NEX-7.  On the other hand, when I think of a "restaurant" lens, I think of my subject matter as either food or people sitting across from me at a table in the 1-5' range and generally use my EXCELLENT Sigma 19mm f/2.8.

I as well have had great results with the Sigma 19mm.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug. Former 3 and F3 owner. Current proud 6 owner.
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

OP sharon_j Regular Member • Posts: 165

Thanks for the input everyone! I ended up getting the SEL20. It takes good enough pics in a restaurant but down the road I'll get the SEL35 for my fast walk around lens. The Zeiss lens 24mm looks great but not for me price wise.

-- hide signature --

Sharon

sharon_j's gear list:sharon_j's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Zenvor Junior Member • Posts: 45

my 1st lens other than the kit is sel 35mm.  i find it too narrow in resturent or group photo so i added sigma 19mm.  the wide angle for people  plus the short min focus distance make it perfect lens for the job. plus its cheap.

Zenvor's gear list:Zenvor's gear list
Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads