X100s and Using the Viewfinder with the Left Eye

Started Jan 7, 2014 | Discussions
Benedetto Photo New Member • Posts: 11
X100s and Using the Viewfinder with the Left Eye

I have been seriously considering  the X100s.  However, I'm left eye dominant, and I'm concerned that the placement of the viewfinder on the left side of the camera will cause problems for me.  I anticipate my nose will hit  the controls or that I will need to hold the camera at an odd angle to see through the viewfinder.    Does anyone have any experience with this?

Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
atone2 Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: X100s and Using the Viewfinder with the Left Eye

Benedetto Photo wrote:

I have been seriously considering the X100s. However, I'm left eye dominant, and I'm concerned that the placement of the viewfinder on the left side of the camera will cause problems for me. I anticipate my nose will hit the controls or that I will need to hold the camera at an odd angle to see through the viewfinder. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I´m in the same situation. I´ve used the X100 for almost three years without any problems. My nose sometimes touches the screen, but it´s no big deal

TomJ
TomJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,787

It has not been an issue at all for me using the X100s, X-E1, or X-10. I keep a microfiber cloth handy for cleaning the screen no matter which camera I am using...including DSLRs.

TomJ

TomJ's gear list:TomJ's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II +24 more
OP Benedetto Photo New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks for sharing your experience.   I wish that I could try the x100s, but there is not a single store in my area that stocks the camera.

MrChristopher
MrChristopher Senior Member • Posts: 1,296

Thanks for sharing your experience.   I wish that I could try the x100s, but there is not a single store in my area that stocks the camera.

It was using my x100 that lead me to discover I am left eye dominant too. It doesn't cause me a problem.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
RMillward
RMillward Regular Member • Posts: 151

As other responders, I shoot left-eye-to-VF with my X100S, quite happily. If you are fairly certain of the technical capabilities, could you not purchase from a reputable online source that would accept a full-price return...? If the VF placement is going to bother you, I'd think it would be pretty obvious as soon as you've used it a couple of days...

RMillward's gear list:RMillward's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus Tough TG-4
jay Goldman Regular Member • Posts: 268

I've been using the X100 for a couple of years left eyed.  Sure my nose sometimes smudges the screen a bit, but I just clean it after a lot of use.  I used Leica Ms with my left eye for 40 years and no problems.

jay Goldman's gear list:jay Goldman's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon EOS 550D +1 more
mickcivic Contributing Member • Posts: 576

Benedetto Photo wrote:

I have been seriously considering the X100s. However, I'm left eye dominant, and I'm concerned that the placement of the viewfinder on the left side of the camera will cause problems for me.

It won't cause any unique problems for a left-eyed shooter.

I anticipate my nose will hit the controls or that I will need to hold the camera at an odd angle to see through the viewfinder. Does anyone have any experience with this?

The angle at which you will look through the viewfinder will be no different than pretty much any other viewfinder camera.

Your nose won't hit controls but it will likely touch the screen, as some users have commented. Personally, my nose ALWAYS touches the screen and smudges it. I've learned to live with it.

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
mickcivic Contributing Member • Posts: 576

Benedetto Photo wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wish that I could try the x100s, but there is not a single store in my area that stocks the camera.

I'm sure you can find a rental house that will ship to you.

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
R Neuschul Contributing Member • Posts: 506

I'm left eye dominant too, but I've been shooting rangefinders for nearly 50 years with my right eye - and with the left eye open at the same time; it takes a couple of weeks to adjust to the two different images being presented to the brain but the resulting "stereoscopic" vision improves shooting quite considerably. Once the technique is learned it becomes entirely transparent and second nature.

OP Benedetto Photo New Member • Posts: 11

Thanks to everyone for their help with this.   Now, I have much less concern about this issue.

dual12 Regular Member • Posts: 386

I'm left eye dominant, but I use my right eye anyway.  Works for me.

bokehballs New Member • Posts: 4

I had been using my left eye with my previous DSLR OVF's but with some effort I adapted to using my right.

bokehballs's gear list:bokehballs's gear list
Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads