Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Started Jan 7, 2014 | Discussions
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,029
Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

I downloaded the ACR profiler which wasn't able to find lens profile for the EM1, nor any of the lenses I currently have - Panny 7-14 or any of the Voigtlander Noctons. Does anyone use ACR and if so have you been able to find these camera/lens profiles? Thanks.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jimusny
Jimusny Senior Member • Posts: 2,078
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Adobe has no profiles for  olympus lenses that I know of, they do have the color profiles for bodies but no lenses, you have to make them yourself or get them other places

 Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Olympus E-M1 +9 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,505
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?
2

brick33308 wrote:

I downloaded the ACR profiler which wasn't able to find lens profile for the EM1, nor any of the lenses I currently have - Panny 7-14 or any of the Voigtlander Noctons. Does anyone use ACR and if so have you been able to find these camera/lens profiles? Thanks.

Electronically coupled Olympus Micro-FourThirds lenses inject lens profile corrections into the raw file which Adobe raw conversion (Camera Raw and Lightroom) uses automatically. Olympus injects lens profile corrections for the FourThirds SLR lenses into E-M1 raw files as well, you enable this profile use with the check box in the Lens Corrections panel.

For Voigtländer and other manufacturers' lenses, you'll need to use the Adobe Lens Profile Creator to create profiles for your specific lenses if none are available for downloading and installation. You can obtain information on tools for this from links on this page: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html#resources

-- hide signature --
brick33308
OP brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,029
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

thanks, that's very helpful - I didn't know there was a lens profile creator. I just downloaded it but am having problems with it not running properly. I'll play with it tonight when I have more time. Thanks again.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

I haven't looked for your lenses, but it doesn't seem to matter what body they were profiled for. I have a profile for the 12-60 and E-5, and it works well with all my bodies, including the EM1.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

BobRocke
BobRocke Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Godfrey wrote:

Electronically coupled Olympus Micro-FourThirds lenses inject lens profile corrections into the raw file which Adobe raw conversion (Camera Raw and Lightroom) uses automatically. Olympus injects lens profile corrections for the FourThirds SLR lenses into E-M1 raw files as well, you enable this profile use with the check box in the Lens Corrections panel.

Cool! Does anyone know if the same is true for Aperture? Can it read the corrections Olympus has put in their raw format?

-- hide signature --

Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
Richmond Hill, GA

 BobRocke's gear list:BobRocke's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +1 more
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Godfrey wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

I downloaded the ACR profiler which wasn't able to find lens profile for the EM1, nor any of the lenses I currently have - Panny 7-14 or any of the Voigtlander Noctons. Does anyone use ACR and if so have you been able to find these camera/lens profiles? Thanks.

Electronically coupled Olympus Micro-FourThirds lenses inject lens profile corrections into the raw file which Adobe raw conversion (Camera Raw and Lightroom) uses automatically. Olympus injects lens profile corrections for the FourThirds SLR lenses into E-M1 raw files as well, you enable this profile use with the check box in the Lens Corrections panel.

For now, I'd be inserting a 'should' into the above.

There is a possibility that Oly doesn't do it for all the lenses it should be able to do it for. I've yet to see a comprehensive list. There is a very strong possibility that they don't do it properly at least for some panasonic lenses that themselves DO have the profile data within.

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,505
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?
1

Big Ga wrote:

Godfrey wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

I downloaded the ACR profiler which wasn't able to find lens profile for the EM1, nor any of the lenses I currently have - Panny 7-14 or any of the Voigtlander Noctons. Does anyone use ACR and if so have you been able to find these camera/lens profiles? Thanks.

Electronically coupled Olympus Micro-FourThirds lenses inject lens profile corrections into the raw file which Adobe raw conversion (Camera Raw and Lightroom) uses automatically. Olympus injects lens profile corrections for the FourThirds SLR lenses into E-M1 raw files as well, you enable this profile use with the check box in the Lens Corrections panel.

For now, I'd be inserting a 'should' into the above.

There is a possibility that Oly doesn't do it for all the lenses it should be able to do it for. I've yet to see a comprehensive list. There is a very strong possibility that they don't do it properly at least for some panasonic lenses that themselves DO have the profile data within.

No need for a "should". I didn't say that they injected the lens corrections from Panasonic lenses at all. So far, I have seen no evidence that they incorporate lens corrections from anything but Olympus M.Zuiko and Zuiko Digital lenses. I've seen the lens corrections applied with all my Olympus lenses.

(Easy to see: render a raw file with dcraw or VueScan, and compare it to the same file rendered with Lightroom. Ignore color, look for lateral CA and/or geometric distortions. dcraw and VueScan do not interpret the lens correction parameters, Lightroom does..)

-- hide signature --
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Godfrey wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Godfrey wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

I downloaded the ACR profiler which wasn't able to find lens profile for the EM1, nor any of the lenses I currently have - Panny 7-14 or any of the Voigtlander Noctons. Does anyone use ACR and if so have you been able to find these camera/lens profiles? Thanks.

Electronically coupled Olympus Micro-FourThirds lenses inject lens profile corrections into the raw file which Adobe raw conversion (Camera Raw and Lightroom) uses automatically. Olympus injects lens profile corrections for the FourThirds SLR lenses into E-M1 raw files as well, you enable this profile use with the check box in the Lens Corrections panel.

For now, I'd be inserting a 'should' into the above.

There is a possibility that Oly doesn't do it for all the lenses it should be able to do it for. I've yet to see a comprehensive list. There is a very strong possibility that they don't do it properly at least for some panasonic lenses that themselves DO have the profile data within.

No need for a "should".

Maybe. Maybe not. The absence of a 'should' implies that they are doing everything correctly. There is evidence that they are not.

I didn't say that they injected the lens corrections from Panasonic lenses at all.

And I didn't say that you did say that.

So far, I have seen no evidence that they incorporate lens corrections from anything but Olympus M.Zuiko and Zuiko Digital lenses.

Then you haven't been looking hard enough. One of the criticisms of previous Oly cameras such as the EM5 was that they didn't pass all the lens correction data when used with Panasonic lenses (only passed the geometric distortion and not the CA IIRC). The EM1 was supposed to be the first one to do that, and it indeed might for a number of lenses, but it seems as if it doesn't always do it, or its getting something wrong somewhere. Whether this is only for some Panasonic lenses, or we might find that it also screws up for some Oly lenses, seems uncertain at the moment.

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,505
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Big Ga wrote:

Then you haven't been looking hard enough. One of the criticisms of previous Oly cameras such as the EM5 was that they didn't pass all the lens correction data when used with Panasonic lenses (only passed the geometric distortion and not the CA IIRC). The EM1 was supposed to be the first one to do that, and it indeed might for a number of lenses, but it seems as if it doesn't always do it, or its getting something wrong somewhere. Whether this is only for some Panasonic lenses, or we might find that it also screws up for some Oly lenses, seems uncertain at the moment.

I can only look as hard as lenses I have at my disposal. That's Panasonic Lumix G 14mm, Panasonic-Leica Summilux-DG 25mm, and Panasonic-Leica Macro-Elmarit-DG 45mm at present. None of those three show any corrections embedded by the E-M1 in my testing (I do know that the M-E 45 correction parameters are all null, however, from inspecting the file contents).

With respect to Olympus lenses, I see corrections expressed for the ZD 11-22, ZD 25, ZD 35 Macro, ZD 50-200, and M.Zuiko 75.

I don't see the corrections appearing some times and not others. If you have evidence that other Panasonic lenses' corrections are being honored, please inform the forum.

-- hide signature --
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Re: Adobe Camera Raw lens profile - EM1 and various lenses?

Godfrey wrote:

I don't see the corrections appearing some times and not others. If you have evidence that other Panasonic lenses' corrections are being honored, please inform the forum.

To clarify, I'm not saying that that the corrections are random, in that some times the camera will correct a certain lens, and other times it won't. I'm saying that some corrections are honoured, some are not. For example, its pretty obvious that the geometric correction parameters must be being passed for the Panny 7-14mm lens! yet I seem to recall someone (exdeeejay?? sp?) finding that other panny MFT lenses do not have the same parameters passed.

Edit:

As for the CA data being passed. I'm now recalling that there is another problem in easily determining that (i.e. you can't always know just by looking at an Oly file and seeing excessive CA that wouldn't be there on a Panny body), because of the effect of the Oly cameras now seeming to have an abnormally weak IR/UV filter which seems to exacerbate things like purple fringes. This is a hardware issue, not a software/parameter passing one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads