How do you get these effects?

Started Jan 6, 2014 | Discussions
HotSaus Junior Member • Posts: 39
How do you get these effects?

I have seen a lot of pictures similar to these and cant figure out how they get the washed out look. And that textured look in the background on some of them.

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: How do you get these effects?

Using curves adjustment layers is likely the best bet.  Of course, there are plugins that emulate these effects, at least similarly.

Regards....Allen

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 7,091

One way is apply a gradient(s?) with your choice of colours and a grunge-style pattern overlayed in soft light mode.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
Teach your children early about taxes. Eat 35% of their ice cream.

OP HotSaus Junior Member • Posts: 39

Ok, I think I figured it out.

Heres my attempt

TheDman Regular Member • Posts: 367

Open an Instagram account.

edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,511
Spend the night drinking ...

Sorry, could not resist.

In all seriousness though, yes, you can create a lot of these effects using tools available in a product like PS.

More typically folks just use one of the many filters (that work with products such as PS) or standalone products that let you simply choose from hundreds of effects that you can apply with a single click. These products typically show you what your starting point photo will look like with the effect applied. Depending on the product you may then have some control over the nature of the effect.

Dave Jaseck
Dave Jaseck Veteran Member • Posts: 6,138
Urban acid...cross processing

Looks like a lot of cross processing going on.  As Allen wrote, mess around in the curves adjustment layer, but the first image reminds me of a PS action called Urban Acid, which is somewhere on the web as a free download.  Here is example, where I used it

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/davidjaseck

Be careful how you interpret the world: It is like that.

bravozulu Contributing Member • Posts: 897
Re: Urban acid...cross processing

I use Aperture for adjustment and the NIK plugins have many of those effects as presets. One I can recall is Faded Kodachrome.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
lylejk
lylejk Forum Pro • Posts: 32,498

Bleach Bypass can get you close; add some contrast enhancements to finish the job.

http://www.redpawmedia.com/bbpro.html

-- hide signature --

my avatar

Psalm 109:8

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".
~Thomas Aquinas

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7

I actually use PSP x4. I am assuming that you guys are talking about PS only. Anywhere I can find a good tutorial or site for PSP plugins?

Vaughn T.Winfree
Vaughn T.Winfree Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036
Re: Topaz can do alot of this..

I am betting on some Topaz Plug IN...

-- hide signature --

Vaughn T. Winfree
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined.
'See what the camera see's, letting the lens interpret what can be. Capture a moment in time telling a story.'--Vaughn T. Winfree

Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list:Vaughn T.Winfree's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +1 more

You can find many very good free plugins here: http://www.thepluginsite.com/resources/freeps.htm

Regards.....Allen

Any suggestions?

Filter Forge has a series of 6 free plugins called Freepacks and the Freepack 2 - Photo Effects plugin has many different presets in seven different areas. The one called LOMO has nine different presets, all of which are customizable by clicking on the Settings tab and adjusting the sliders to taste. The Freepack 2 - Photo Effects plugin, as well as the other six free plugins may be downloaded here: http://www.filterforge.com/download/

Just download the free plugin and install it in your plugins folder of your photo-editing software and you should be good to go. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards....Allen

I tried downloading those, but most just disappear from the downloaded folder, almost immediately. The ones that do stay, dont seem to work.

But I found some standalone software that mimics some of the "instagram effects". But they still arent close to the above examples.

I am guessing that these effects are beyond me or anyone on these forums.

Acmespaceship
Acmespaceship Regular Member • Posts: 286

Don't give up so easy There are lots of ready-made filters (try pixlr.com for online edits).  But if you can't find a filter that yields the results you want then you can learn to make these edits manually.

For the washed-out look, reduce the contrast and brighten the shadows. Desaturate a bit.  Add a layer, fill it with sepia (or really any tone you want) and adjust the layer opacity.

Adding a texture is easy when your PP software supports layers. Open your photo. Then import a texture image as a new layer. Find a texture you like here or from any number of other sources. Resize the texture if necessary to fit your photo. Then adjust the transparency and blending mode of the texture layer until you get something you like. Video tutorial here.

There are so many ways to adjust colors: curves, the color mixer, brushes and gradients. Experiment with the tools you have.

Oh yeah, and learn how to add a vignette.  Now you can do anything Instagram can do (except for the part about Facebook and 1 billion dollars).  Good luck and have fun.

I am not sure what you are doing during the download and install, but they should not "disappear" once downloaded and installed.  What photoeditor are you using (i.e. Photoshop CS6, Elements, PSPX5, etc..)?  Are you on a PC or Mac, because there are separate plugins for each operating system.

For the Freepack2 - Photo Effects, you should have downloaded a file titled; Filter Forge Freepack 2 Setup.exe.  Look in your Downloads folder to see if you can find this file.  If so, then you need double left click on it to begin the installation of the plugin into your editor's plugin folder (you will need to know where to install the plugin for it to work with your editor software).  If you are unfamiliar with doing this, then you need to find a friend that does know how and enlist their help in getting the plugin installed.

Hope this helps.  Regards....Allen

Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 15,269

Allen Gerdes wrote:

I am not sure what you are doing during the download and install, but they should not "disappear" once downloaded and installed. What photoeditor are you using (i.e. Photoshop CS6, Elements, PSPX5, etc..)? Are you on a PC or Mac, because there are separate plugins for each operating system.

For the Freepack2 - Photo Effects, you should have downloaded a file titled; Filter Forge Freepack 2 Setup.exe. Look in your Downloads folder to see if you can find this file. If so, then you need double left click on it to begin the installation of the plugin into your editor's plugin folder (you will need to know where to install the plugin for it to work with your editor software). If you are unfamiliar with doing this, then you need to find a friend that does know how and enlist their help in getting the plugin installed.

Hope this helps. Regards....Allen

I also do get some error messages once a while when i try to use them but they are working. Sometimes it's locking photoshop cs6 extended. So, it's either not Windows 8.1 compatible or not completely cs6 and CC compatible.

Some error messages about memory...

Acmespaceship wrote:

Don't give up so easy There are lots of ready-made filters (try pixlr.com for online edits). But if you can't find a filter that yields the results you want then you can learn to make these edits manually.

For the washed-out look, reduce the contrast and brighten the shadows. Desaturate a bit. Add a layer, fill it with sepia (or really any tone you want) and adjust the layer opacity.

Adding a texture is easy when your PP software supports layers. Open your photo. Then import a texture image as a new layer. Find a texture you like here or from any number of other sources. Resize the texture if necessary to fit your photo. Then adjust the transparency and blending mode of the texture layer until you get something you like. Video tutorial here.

There are so many ways to adjust colors: curves, the color mixer, brushes and gradients. Experiment with the tools you have.

Oh yeah, and learn how to add a vignette. Now you can do anything Instagram can do (except for the part about Facebook and 1 billion dollars). Good luck and have fun.

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

Also, the reason the filter forge was disappearing, is because my anti virus keeps moving it to quarantine.

NicoleMakena
NicoleMakena Junior Member • Posts: 37

I love this look as well I like to call it photo from the 60s or 70s am curious to read what the other posters said.  I think there is a preset you can buy for lightroom that creates this affect.

-- hide signature --

'Photography is the only language that can be understood anywhere in the world."~ Bruno Barbey

NicoleMakena's gear list:NicoleMakena's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads