Would You Point Out the Bad Of Your Friends' Facebook Photo?

Started Jan 6, 2014 | Discussions
Kool Nelson Junior Member • Posts: 49
Would You Point Out the Bad Of Your Friends' Facebook Photo?

Some of friends always share their photos on Facebook and always with various problems like out of focus, wrongly use of flahses. Will you point out the bads in reply? Or just ignore it, or even click "Like"?

In another viewing angle, Will it be offend if others point out it in your replies?

Want you real thoughts.:-)

OP Kool Nelson Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Would You Point Out the Bad Of Your Friends' Facebook Photo?

What I means of Bad is very serious, like using flashes in front of mirror.

Clueless Wanderer
Clueless Wanderer Senior Member • Posts: 1,243

Kool Nelson wrote:

What I means of Bad is very serious, like using flashes in front of mirror.

Just let it roll. Facebook is a kind of having a laugh with mates in the pub, shooting the breeze, small talk, informal.

The only time I critcise facebook images is when they haven't rotated the image and I have to do the head tilt to take the image in.

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +23 more
cainn24 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

If you're up for trying to counteract an avalanche with a shovel, go for it.

quadrox Senior Member • Posts: 1,131

If it's a photo that is either fun/interesting or where they look good, I will like it and ignore any purely technical deficiencies. Of course if the shots is completely botched (haven't seen it yet) I may not press the like button, but I would only comment on any issues in the most extreme of circumstances and when I could be sure not to offend (never happened yet).

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +2 more
Avobanana
Avobanana Regular Member • Posts: 383

Do you correct the grammar of someone posting "lolz! u guyz roxx!"?

Nobody cares about the technical qualities of a Facebook photo. It's about the content, basically "who is doing what". In fact I feel that for some of these snaps, the worse it looks the stronger the underlying message because it looks more authentic and unposed.

Avobanana's gear list:Avobanana's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a7R Nikon D810 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
Jeff AG Regular Member • Posts: 157
No.

Not unless I am asked.

Non-photographers are not trying to do what I am doing.  One or twice I have downloaded someone's especially promising photo, done some post processing on it and sent it back in a private message.  Not as a criticism, but as a "I liked your photo, what do you think of this edit?"

Jeff AG's gear list:Jeff AG's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +13 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,283

My "friends" on Facebook are literally my friends, and I'd like to keep them that way. Maybe if I join a photographers group on FB, that would be different, but I try to keep relations with my friends... friendly.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
salla30
salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
No

Unless they were keen photographers and seeking constructive criticism.

If I started to criticise others' images on FB a) I'd come across as an idiot, completely missing the point of most of the spontaneous imagery and b) never see an end to it

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
jayrandomer
jayrandomer Contributing Member • Posts: 833
Not unless specifically asked

Kool Nelson wrote:

Some of friends always share their photos on Facebook and always with various problems like out of focus, wrongly use of flahses. Will you point out the bads in reply? Or just ignore it, or even click "Like"?

In another viewing angle, Will it be offend if others point out it in your replies?

And "specifically asked" means, "What could I do to improve this photo?" and not "What do you think of this photo?".

jayrandomer's gear list:jayrandomer's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
micronean Regular Member • Posts: 306

I never click "like" on a photo that is badly taken.

and if I were to point out how bad my friends' photos are, I'd be on facebook all day...

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 34,982

If one is to provide unsolicited criticism, it can take some effort to be critically encouraging in doing so.   So if you feel you should give comment it should go well if doled out with respect and compassion, but maybe it shouldn't be done publicly at the first swipe.   You might also want to encourage your group to start 'helping' each other by having a C&C session periodically (each pick a shot to be picked apart).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T2
ryansholl Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Yes, unless they're a friend or anyone you know (nt)

garble garble garble garble garble

TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
Why should you?

Not everyone is out to get the 'perfect' photograph. Quite a few people just want to record an event or a person, without being stylistic about it. And who is to say that they can't be perfectly satisfied with the result? It's all in the eye of the beholder, or the intent of the poster.

Put the shoe on the other foot, and see how it fits. Let's say for sake of argument, you buy a nice economical little car to get you to work, and that's all you want it for. Along comes some spec spouting gearhead, pointing out that you didn't get the absolute best, that brand Y has more aftermarket options, more HP, better this, better that...  and you're thinking - all I wanted was something simple and economical to get myself around.

Would the gearhead's comments be of any value to you, in that situation? Probably not.

Mattoid Regular Member • Posts: 340

Most of the time I wouldn't bother.  Most people don't care. and even some people who DO care cant handle negative criticism.

If there is anything good about their photo then point that out instead.  Maybe they will remember it for next time.  But frame it like you like it subjectively not that it is "correct", so that you don't sound like a know it all.

I would probably only mention something if it was an ulrtra dumb dumb mistake.  Like using a flash when shooting through a window.  The problem is that even though that is such a simple principle and an obvious mistake to us, to other people its an alien concept to even think about their actions so they may still think you are lecturing them about quantum physics.   But that's their problem.

JamesRL Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

Not unless they ask, and they rarely do.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
edispics
edispics Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503
You mean, like this ...

Kool Nelson wrote:

Some of friends

Some of your friends?

always share their photos on Facebook and always with various problems like out of focus, wrongly use of flahses.

wrongly use of flahses, I think you probably mean incorrect use of flash

Will you point out the bads in reply?

Point out the bads? Point out the technical errors in their photos?

Or just ignore it, or even click "Like"?

Since you were referring to bads, plural, you should probably say Or just ignore them

In another viewing angle,

I presume you mean, from another perspective, or from a different point of view,

Will it be offend if others point out it in your replies?

I think you mean point it out, but if you refer to others then it is in their replies, not yours, unless, of course you mean, if you point it out in your replies.

As opposed to what, fake thoughts?

Of course I know what you meant. I would not normally respond like this. I only did this to show you what pointing out others' errors looks like when you are on the receiving end. And did it serve any useful purpose?

sshoihet Senior Member • Posts: 2,595

Kool Nelson wrote:

It's Facebook, photos are mostly about sharing moments with friends and not about perfect images. I enjoy sharing my friends lives with them and not every image I share is perfect, sometimes it's about the content and I'll still click like if I appreciate what they're sharing.  I would never critique a photo if I wasn't asked, Facebook or anywhere else.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Beachcomber Joe Contributing Member • Posts: 912

Kool Nelson wrote:

I would only critique a photo if directly asked.  Even then my critique would be positive, how to improve the photo, rather than to point out flaws.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads