strap recommendations?

Started Jan 5, 2014 | Discussions
Murray Bowles
Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,082
strap recommendations?

Nikon's Df strap is not so comfortable, and I don't like advertising that I'm carrying something expensive. Any recommendations?

Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shmn Regular Member • Posts: 450
Re: strap recommendations?

Use a Canon strap.

Just kidding.  Try an UpStrap or one of those neoprene strap from OpTech or Tamrac.  The choices are limited by your imagination and wallet.  There are so many worthy choices.

Murray Bowles
OP Murray Bowles Senior Member • Posts: 2,082

my 50mm has a canon UV filter. i figure that's going far enough

Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Murray Bowles wrote:

Nikon's Df strap is not so comfortable, and I don't like advertising that I'm carrying something expensive. Any recommendations?

It's odd that on the more expensive bodies they chose to write the model on the strap.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,064

I like Think Tank straps, which are plenty long-enough to allow wearing the strap over one shoulder, so the camera hangs under the opposite arm. I have never liked a camera hanging in front of me, except for brief periods between shots when I need to free my hands for just a moment.

While it is not for everyone, I love the Leica 14312 Carrying strap, which is neither cheap nor easy to find in stock. One of my F6 cameras has this strap. The previous owner of this F6 had removed the split rings from the strap lugs, and the Leica strap affixes directly the strap lugs, no split rings required. The nearest camera store is a Leica dealer, so I decided to try this strap. The logo is quite subtle, so it does not widely advertise wealth, for those who worry about such things.

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
Frozencpu Forum Member • Posts: 74

Try vulture equipment works strap A2 or A4

shmn Regular Member • Posts: 450

Murray Bowles wrote:

my 50mm has a canon UV filter. i figure that's going far enough

I keep a Canon handstrap attached to my D700.  It's much better than the Nikon version.

I've never used the straps provided with the cameras...they are very uncomfortable.  I have a bunch of them still in their packaging.  Maybe I can trade them in for a cup of coffee or something.

Kent J
Kent J Senior Member • Posts: 2,378

Murray Bowles wrote:

I got this one from Luigi Crescenzi. Not cheap, but very nice. The leather pad that protects the camera from the metal rings also feels good between the fingers of your right hand as you hold the camera.

-- hide signature --

Kent
Life is too short for slow glass.
www.kentjoostenphotography.smugmug.com

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
CAlanS Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: strap recommendations? Spider Holster ...

If you're willing to try something different look at the Spider Holster and Belt.  They have a version for light weight bodies and a version that will handle heavier pro bodies.  Much more comfortable than straps.

CAlanS's gear list:CAlanS's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 +7 more
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,078

I second the UP strap. I've got one on my DF and my D3S. I've used Luigi straps too and they're a nice choice for leather (I'm kinda hoping he does a half case for the DF though the last Nikon DSLR he did a case for was the D200.)

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
leicaman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,784
BR or Carry Speed

I have both.  I like the BR but the CarrySpeed is a better strap but no longefoamed due to BR  lawsuit.

I would get a CarrySpeed FS Pro 2 on eBay before they are all gone.  It will not slip around on your shoulder like the BR.

leicaman's gear list:leicaman's gear list
Nikon D810
Kent J
Kent J Senior Member • Posts: 2,378

Nikonparrothead wrote:

,,. I've used Luigi straps too and they're a nice choice for leather (I'm kinda hoping he does a half case for the DF though the last Nikon DSLR he did a case for was the D200.)

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

I encouraged him to do exactly that when I ordered the strap. 

-- hide signature --

-Kent
Life is too short for slow glass.
www.kentjoostenphotography.smugmug.com

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
Roland Wooster Senior Member • Posts: 2,092
Try Crumpler

I switched my D800E strap for a Crumpler "Industry Disgrace" I couldn't be happier and would have a tough time considering anything else after using this for a year.

http://www.crumpler.com/us/industry-disgrace#colour116

Roland.

-- hide signature --
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 1,568
Re: Try Crumpler

I agree about the Crumpler Industry disgrace. I have one on each body and put a BlackRapid on for heavy work. Crumpler is good. BlackRapid is good too.

IainD

chuhsi Contributing Member • Posts: 999

once my df l-bracket comes, i'm going to try to use the setup i had with my other cameras...up-strap with the one side of the strap connected to the camera and the other side of the strap connected to the l-bracket strap hole. the strap crosses my body and with this configuration, lenses point DOWN..this is really important to me because i bang my lens hoods on everything.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
philharris
philharris Contributing Member • Posts: 528

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cotton-Leather-Non-Slip-Camera-Strap/dp/B00A2M4LC4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ph_7

I got one of those but in gray.

It's light and strong, best feature though is the rubber grip woven in to the cloth, it just doesn't slip at all, which is one of my major peeves with most straps.

philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica Q Nikon Df Nikon D750 Nikon D500 +25 more
soloryb Senior Member • Posts: 2,248

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap.

The strap is comfortable, inexpensive and well-made. Unlike other similar tripod mount sling straps, this one uses a swivel bearing with no carabiner to potentially scratch camera parts.    I have 4 of them.

soloryb

soloryb's gear list:soloryb's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +9 more
dwight3
dwight3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,492
Go bare

When I got my D3, I had been using the Nikon strap for a while. I found it fairly inconvenient, not to mention uncomfortable. I did use the method of reversing the camera when I put the strap over my neck so the lens pointed inward (generally downward) so the lens didn't stick out and bump into things. Occasionally I'd take the strap off from around my neck and wrap it around my wrist to make a wrist strap.

Using the strap on my wrist worked much of the time but it had a tendency to unwrap from my wrist when I was holding the camera. Putting a twist in it helped but then it was kind of restrictive and I couldn't get my fingers on all the buttons easily.

Tried an actual wrist strap. It was convenient in that I could just let go of the camera and it would dangle there, but it was inconvenient in that I couldn't use the portrait orientation controls and there were buttons I couldn't reach.

Also tried a couple other brands of straps. I never found one that was comfortable and allowed me the flexibility I thought I needed.

Finally just took all the straps off.

I now just hold the camera in my right hand. When I have the 70-200 on, I hold the camera by the mounting handle. I can do this all day, but occasionally my right hand gets a bit tired or I need that hand to do something (I'm not good at writing legibly with my left hand). At that time I just stick the lens into the crook of my left elbow.

I should point out that I don't use the camera in high risk environments, e.g. on the street. I use it at meetings, but they are fairly controlled environments without significant risk of someone trying to grab the camera.

Using this method I have never dropped the camera. The only time my camera has ever hit the ground was when I had it on a tripod and the wind blew it over. It fell onto the hood into soft dirt so there was no damage. I now try to ensure that when it's on a tripod, one of the tripod legs is in line with the lens. That way it will not fall with the lens straight down.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898

I use OP/TECH 1501372 Pro Loop Strap for Camera Equipment (Black). To eliminate the dangling straps when I disconnect it, I switched the connector straps to:

OP/TECH USA Swivel Hook Connectors

OP/TECH USA System Connector Adapt-Its

This way, when the strap is detached, only the Adapt-Its stay on the camera.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

ata3001
ata3001 Contributing Member • Posts: 680
Re: Try Crumpler

Roland Wooster wrote:

I switched my D800E strap for a Crumpler "Industry Disgrace" I couldn't be happier and would have a tough time considering anything else after using this for a year.

http://www.crumpler.com/us/industry-disgrace#colour116

Roland.

-- hide signature --

My choice as well.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads