Which noise reduction software do you use?

Started Jan 5, 2014 | Polls
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 8,988
Re: Which noise reduction software do you use?

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Actually, it is very ISO and use dependent.

I use Lightroom for the routine shots and simple sharing on the web, Topaz DeNoise for decent shots with mid range ISO, and Noiseware for the highest ISO shots that I want to look the best and possibly print.

What's the point of using two different noise reduction apps as it relates to ISO?

I know that you are a Noiseware fan,

That has nothing to do with my question.

but the point is I find deNoise is just as good as Noiseware for medium level noise, and I prefer its UI, ease of use, and throughput.

Then why not just use deNoise?

Did you really read what I wrote earlier? If so, what does it imply to you?

Implications do not equal explanations.

So when I said "and Noiseware for the highest ISO shots that I want to look the best and possibly print"  that wasn't clear enough for you?

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

I use Lightroom for the routine shots and simple sharing on the web, Topaz DeNoise for decent shots with mid range ISO, and Noiseware for the highest ISO shots that I want to look the best and possibly print.

What's the point of using two different noise reduction apps as it relates to ISO?

but the point is I find deNoise is just as good as Noiseware for medium level noise, and I prefer its UI, ease of use, and throughput.

So when I said "and Noiseware for the highest ISO shots that I want to look the best and possibly print" that wasn't clear enough for you?

I know exactly what you said. I was curious as to why you don't use one noise reducing app instead of two. If Noiseware  gives you the "best" results then why not just that?

Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 8,988

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

So when I said "and Noiseware for the highest ISO shots that I want to look the best and possibly print" that wasn't clear enough for you?

I know exactly what you said. I was curious as to why you don't use one noise reducing app instead of two. If Noiseware gives you the "best" results then why not just that?

I find myself repeating what I said earlier to you - "I find deNoise is just as good as Noiseware for medium level noise, and I prefer its UI, ease of use, and throughput."

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,011

Basalite wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

I use Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements. I like it because it is built in and is not a hassle to use.

It's a very poor substitute to dedicated noise reduction apps and plugins. Very poor.

This is exactly the kind of flat-footed, unsupported assertion that makes your posts such a stupendous waste of time. Your imperial opinions are just so many horse farts; they don't deserve anyone's attention.

I, for one, am putting you on ignore. You may blast back with whatever flatus happens to be in your lower colon at the moment, because I won't see it.

OP MichaelVadon Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
DXO Times

I can confirm that DXO does take some time to process.  The time depends on the complexity of the picture.  For example, ISO 12000 shots are going to take a long time going through the "Prime" denoising process.  There is a another denoising process you can check which is faster.  The good thing is that you can do other things while it is processing.

It is best to use DXO with a modern performance/gaming desktop computer.  Clearly, the software was not designed for the laptop user in mind.  The laptop is simply not enough power to run DXO.

Basalite wrote:

MichaelVadon wrote:

Which noise reduction software do you use and why?

I've tested all the dedicated noise reduction software on the market and Noiseware 5 is easily the best and the most capable. For example, it can apply noise by highlights, mid-tones, shadows, and colors.

I've heard other people mention DxO but from what I have seen so far it requires a ridiculous amount of time to process an image and I haven't seen any comparisons showing it to be better than Noiseware 5, or any other noise reduction app. I've been meaning to test it for a while so maybe this week I will finally test it out.

Saleen1999
Saleen1999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

I really enjoy Noiseware but I have used Neat Image, Topaz Labs  " DeNoise' which has great reviews but I mostly use Noiseware. The best thing you can do is Try the many out there and decide for yourself, which works for you. A word about Neat Image...I find it tedious. But you never know, You might end up loving Neat Image. Many here do.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D3S Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR

Peano wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

I use Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop Elements. I like it because it is built in and is not a hassle to use.

It's a very poor substitute to dedicated noise reduction apps and plugins. Very poor.

This is exactly the kind of flat-footed, unsupported assertion that makes your posts such a stupendous waste of time.

Then why are you responding to my post?

Your imperial opinions are just so many horse farts; they don't deserve anyone's attention.

You speak of "imperial opinions" and yet here you are trying to tell other people where to direct their "attention" away from. Really?

Be careful, I believe you got a warning before after I reported you the last time for resorting to name calling.

I, for one, am putting you on ignore.

Only those that are intolerant of other people expressing their views do that.

You may blast back with whatever flatus happens to be in your lower colon at the moment, because I won't see it.

I'm sure you will, otherwise you never would have responded to my post in the first place.

By the way, interesting *first post* to this thread.

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

I know exactly what you said. I was curious as to why you don't use one noise reducing app instead of two. If Noiseware gives you the "best" results then why not just that?

I find myself repeating what I said earlier to you - "I find deNoise is just as good as Noiseware for medium level noise, and I prefer its UI, ease of use, and throughput."

Actually, that's not what you originally said.

I've yet to see any dedicated noise reduction app have different levels of performance with different levels of noise  and I've done very extensive testing with them. Noiseware 5 works just as well with lower levels of noise.

Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 6,806

I currently have licences for Topaz Denoise 5, Neat Image, Lightroom 4, PS CS5, Nik dfine, Imagenimic Noiseware, DXO Optics pro 9.1 and Photo Ninja. I have done the occasional comparison for my own interests of all of these with the same high ISO raw files from my micro four thirds and Sony DSLR/SLT cameras.

Currently, my overall favourite is Noiseware, for tricky high ISO images. It gives the best 'straight out of the can' results and is infintely tweakable. Left at default it can be a little strong so I often 'tune' the sliders according to the image and sometimes I create and save camera and ISO specific presets.

I regularly use DXO Optics Pro 9 on the standard (non-PRIME) NR setting and for many images I find it fine - I reserve Noiseware for particularly troublesome high ISO images or sometimes I try DXO's PRIME setting, but I find this hit and miss - sometimes it can be miraculous, other times it can create a painterly effect that I don't like.

Neat Image, dfine, and Photo Ninja are all good products but I never found they could beat Noiseware. Neat Image, with all advanced sliders enabled, i find quite inpenetrable, despite my many years of post processing experience. Topaz - meh, too often I see worm like artefacts in images that it has denoised. I do, however, like its ability to remove banding noise, which it is particularly good at.

So for me its DXO for my everyday low to medium ISO de-noising and Noiseware for tricky high ISO shots or shots I don't mind spending a lot of time in PP with.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Fujifilm X-E2 +1 more

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

I currently have licences for Topaz Denoise 5, Neat Image, Lightroom 4, PS CS5, Nik dfine, Imagenimic Noiseware, DXO Optics pro 9.1 and Photo Ninja. I have done the occasional comparison for my own interests of all of these with the same high ISO raw files from my micro four thirds and Sony DSLR/SLT cameras.

Currently, my overall favourite is Noiseware, for tricky high ISO images. It gives the best 'straight out of the can' results and is infintely tweakable. Left at default it can be a little strong so I often 'tune' the sliders according to the image and sometimes I create and save camera and ISO specific presets.

I regularly use DXO Optics Pro 9 on the standard (non-PRIME) NR setting and for many images I find it fine - I reserve Noiseware for particularly troublesome high ISO images or sometimes I try DXO's PRIME setting, but I find this hit and miss - sometimes it can be miraculous, other times it can create a painterly effect that I don't like.

Neat Image, dfine, and Photo Ninja are all good products but I never found they could beat Noiseware. Neat Image, with all advanced sliders enabled, i find quite inpenetrable, despite my many years of post processing experience. Topaz - meh, too often I see worm like artefacts in images that it has denoised. I do, however, like its ability to remove banding noise, which it is particularly good at.

So for me its DXO for my everyday low to medium ISO de-noising and Noiseware for tricky high ISO shots or shots I don't mind spending a lot of time in PP with.

My 2 cents.

I get the sense that most people that settle on a particular noise reduction solution don't do as thorough testing. I have and I also came to the same conclusion that Noiseware is best. I haven't tested DxO so until I do I'll exclude that app.

Jack Sofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,479

Easiest to use and not too much better or worse than anything else.

-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement.
JC Sofield
www.pbase.com/jcsofield

brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,885

Basalite wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

Suggest you watch Deke's tutorial on noise reduction using ACR. perhaps it would change your opinion.

brick33308 wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

Suggest you watch Deke's tutorial on noise reduction using ACR. perhaps it would change your opinion.

No, it wouldn't. The dedicated noise reduction apps still dominate for a reason.

Dave Braun Contributing Member • Posts: 511

I use Capture One 7 and let it do it's presets for my camera and ISO

Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 6,806

Basalite wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

No, it wouldn't. The dedicated noise reduction apps still dominate for a reason.

I have to agree, dedicated NR solutions almost always offer greater performance and more flexibility than the NR on offer in raw processors or within ACR/LR/PS. This can come at a cost though, in terms of learning curve, depending on the plugin...

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Fujifilm X-E2 +1 more
brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,885

Basalite wrote:

brick33308 wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Ron AKA wrote:

exactly what is that reason they dominate? And if you don't know how to properly apply noise reduction with ACR, how can you conclude that dedicated apps are better?

v steffel Senior Member • Posts: 1,270
DenoiseMyImage

I use DenoiseMyImage.  It works well.  It is a replacement to Noiseware Standard

I learned about it on DPR when searching for a good and reasonably priced denoise software program.

I wish I didn't have to use any.

-- hide signature --

v steffel
frame frame! shoot shoot! sauvette!

v steffel's gear list:v steffel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 15,315
Re: DXO Times

MichaelVadon wrote:

I can confirm that DXO does take some time to process. The time depends on the complexity of the picture. For example, ISO 12000 shots are going to take a long time going through the "Prime" denoising process. There is a another denoising process you can check which is faster. The good thing is that you can do other things while it is processing.

It is best to use DXO with a modern performance/gaming desktop computer. Clearly, the software was not designed for the laptop user in mind. The laptop is simply not enough power to run DXO.

Basalite wrote:

MichaelVadon wrote:

Which noise reduction software do you use and why?

I've tested all the dedicated noise reduction software on the market and Noiseware 5 is easily the best and the most capable. For example, it can apply noise by highlights, mid-tones, shadows, and colors.

I've heard other people mention DxO but from what I have seen so far it requires a ridiculous amount of time to process an image and I haven't seen any comparisons showing it to be better than Noiseware 5, or any other noise reduction app. I've been meaning to test it for a while so maybe this week I will finally test it out.

There are also laptops with 4 or 6 cores and hyperthreading and 8-16gb ram. That is a non -issue.

GDB Contributing Member • Posts: 925

I use several different denoise plug-ins but over the last year I used Topaz DeNoise about 75-80 percent of the time because of its ease of use and options.  Good plug-in for my purposes.

Gary

GDB's gear list:GDB's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,463
Neat Image for film scans

I use Neat Image sometimes for film scans.  For raw digital photos I usually don't use any, but if I do I use Lightroom.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads