Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

Started Jan 1, 2014 | Discussions
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
That's spot on accurate, and there is an opportunity

I have also noticed that a few people I know who have been using their cell phone cams are starting to catch the bug, and are now asking me about moving to the next step. Very much like inexpensive P&S's in the digital and film age.

What makes the cell phone cam so attractive to the snapshotter isn't just the convenience of having it with you, it's the convenience of publishing the photos to social media. Very easy to do with a mobile app.

And there is the opportunity: innovative camera makers like Olympus and Panasonic could make the path from camera to social media much easier, for the snapshotter who wants to move to the next step. Work within the framework that they are already operating, by creating a simple camera to social media connection: a mobile app to transfer photos from the camera, apply a bit of PP (like art filters), resize the result for social media, and then sending it to FB, instagram, twitter, etc... you don't need to turn the camera into a smartphone, just use the smartphone the person already has.

Oly took a step in the right direction with the mobile remote control app for the EM1. Now, just add interfaces to social media to that app, or create a simplified version of this that works with the most pocketable µ43 camera, the GM1.

How about it, Panasonic? Want to sell a lot more GM1's? Yes, I have mobile development experience and some image manipulation experience (used to develop scan software for a printer company), and yes, I'm considering job offers...

Lawrence W Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Re: Declining MFT/mirrorless camera sales?

No. 1 wish is fast and sharp long range prime or zoom lens for me to shoot wildlife, especially BIF.

My backup is LX5, but increasingly more often, the iPhone 5.

Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D7200 Sony a6300 Panasonic G85 +17 more
(unknown member) Forum Member • Posts: 67

I own a smartphone with 8MP camera, a 10Mp P&S (Canon G12), an 18Mp mirrorless (EOS M), a 16.7 Mp Canon 1-Ds ii, and a 8.2Mp Canon 1-D ii N.

The two DSLRs are in a different league to the other cameras despite being over a decade old and two or three generations behind the digital state of the art. It surprised me that even the 8.2Mp APS-H 1DiiN returns more pleasing images than the 18Mp APS-C EOS M. Heck an EOS 10D that can be had second hand for $50 nowadays has "only" 6Mp but will outperform any smartphone with ease. All my "real" cameras produce vastly better images than the phone, except in bright sunlight with small apertures ... then it is a draw.

And I am considering image quality only. When you add in ease of use, ergonomics and versatility the only excuses for using a camera phone are:

• Conditions were ideal, so it made no difference
  • I left my real camera at home
  • My real camera is broken/lost/stolen
  • I am not interested in photography as an art or a profession, I just want to record my family and the places I visit.

.. etc.

Of course great photos can be made with a camera phone, and a skilled photographer of vision will make better photos with a cameraphone than the average person ... but they'd do better still with a "real" camera.

As for the related idea of MFT or other mirrorless formats "wiping out" DSLRs. MFTs suit some photographers. Fine. Then please use them and be happy. DSLRs will continue to suit others. Most of the time I prefer something that is big enough for my hands, has enough inertia to resist movement, gives 1000+ shots from a charged battery, is versatile enough to tackle just about any subject, and carries on working in torrential rain, in a dust storm, or after being dropped onto concrete from chest height .

Browsing the internet I could easily convince myself that there is a campaign to promote mirrorless cameras going on, with thousands of fake websites pretending to be professional photographers that have made the switch.

Look, some of us do not consider it much of a burden to carry a 1.5kg camera and a couple of kilos-worth of lenses, so please stop banging on about the bleeding obvious ... that MFT (or a smartphone!) is smaller and lighter.

There is a lot more to consider when you choose a camera system than size, weight, convenience, megapixels and "good enough" image quality.

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,689

And you couldn't find anything better than a post that's been dead for almost two years to make your point? Ok....

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,520

Ktrphoto wrote:

I own a smartphone with 8MP camera, a 10Mp P&S (Canon G12), an 18Mp mirrorless (EOS M), a 16.7 Mp Canon 1-Ds ii, and a 8.2Mp Canon 1-D ii N.

The two DSLRs are in a different league to the other cameras despite being over a decade old and two or three generations behind the digital state of the art. It surprised me that even the 8.2Mp APS-H 1DiiN returns more pleasing images than the 18Mp APS-C EOS M. Heck an EOS 10D that can be had second hand for $50 nowadays has "only" 6Mp but will outperform any smartphone with ease. All my "real" cameras produce vastly better images than the phone, except in bright sunlight with small apertures ... then it is a draw.

And I am considering image quality only. When you add in ease of use, ergonomics and versatility the only excuses for using a camera phone are:

• Conditions were ideal, so it made no difference
  • I left my real camera at home
  • My real camera is broken/lost/stolen
  • I am not interested in photography as an art or a profession, I just want to record my family and the places I visit.

.. etc.

Of course great photos can be made with a camera phone, and a skilled photographer of vision will make better photos with a cameraphone than the average person ... but they'd do better still with a "real" camera.

As for the related idea of MFT or other mirrorless formats "wiping out" DSLRs. MFTs suit some photographers. Fine. Then please use them and be happy. DSLRs will continue to suit others. Most of the time I prefer something that is big enough for my hands, has enough inertia to resist movement, gives 1000+ shots from a charged battery, is versatile enough to tackle just about any subject, and carries on working in torrential rain, in a dust storm, or after being dropped onto concrete from chest height .

Browsing the internet I could easily convince myself that there is a campaign to promote mirrorless cameras going on, with thousands of fake websites pretending to be professional photographers that have made the switch.

Look, some of us do not consider it much of a burden to carry a 1.5kg camera and a couple of kilos-worth of lenses, so please stop banging on about the bleeding obvious ... that MFT (or a smartphone!) is smaller and lighter.

There is a lot more to consider when you choose a camera system than size, weight, convenience, megapixels and "good enough" image quality.

Other than the fact that you are trolling, the 1DMk2N was pretty much useless over ISO 400. I had a 1DMk2N and my Panny GX-8, except for battery life, will run circles around it.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads