Lightroom 4.4 needs an update to handle Panny G6 files

Started Jan 1, 2014 | Discussions
akett Regular Member • Posts: 127
Lightroom 4.4 needs an update to handle Panny G6 files

All, I've downloaded 8.3 of the Adobe DNG Converter. Which sub-dir in LR 4.4 do I put it so it'll handle Panny G6 files?

Thanks,

Alan

akett's gear list:akett's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,424
Re: Lightroom 4.4 needs an update to handle Panny G6 files

I think it may be called LR 5

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
rambler35 Contributing Member • Posts: 670

Alan, the Adobe DNG Converter is a stand-alone application.  So you convert your files with it before importing them into Lightroom.

.-- Richard --

OP akett Regular Member • Posts: 127

Richard:

Thanks for the reply. So there's no way to get LR4.4 to read my G6 files, other than upgrade to LR5?

I guess I'm done with LR and will stick with SilyPix, if that's the case.

Alan

Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,305

akett wrote:

Richard:

Thanks for the reply. So there's no way to get LR4.4 to read my G6 files, other than upgrade to LR5?

Alan

The only way to get LR4.4 to read your files is as Richard stated. Convert them to DNG with DNG Converter 8.3, then import into LR. LR5.3 reads the native raw files.

Why dump LR just because you need an update? Doesn't make sense.

-- hide signature --
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,712
Avoiding Lightroom...

akett wrote:

Richard:

Alan

Be aware that Silkypix SE V3.1 is now superseded by Silkypix SE V4.1, still free and still only for Panasonic files.

My links page will help find it. Check my list there of V3/4/5 differences to see what's new.

Disclaimer is that I use the paid V5 Pro for all RAW files from my Panasonic LX3 and from Oly Pens.

Another alternative is Corel AfterShot Pro which sprang from Bibble and goes to silly cheap prices from time to time, especially at Black Friday. There's a 30 day free trial to see if it floats your boat.

Regards........ Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,099
I'm with you; what's the sense of not upgrading?

If you don't you lose future capabilities, and upgrade costs are pain-free nowadays.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +6 more
Re: I'm with you; what's the sense of not upgrading?

Money. I'm getting off the upgrade treadmill. There's really no reason why my G6 shouldn't work with what is, after all, a very recent release. YMMV.

Alan

Joseph T Lewis III Veteran Member • Posts: 3,234

akett wrote:

Richard:

Alan

Wrong, you CAN process your G6 files in LR4.

I have a somewhat similar situation with my E-M1. In my case I need to process its files with my existing LR4, because LR5 is not supported on my old Vista-based PC (i.e., I cannot install LR5 unless I either upgrade the OS on my current PC, or buy a new PC that runs Windows 8). Since everything else works just fine, I am not in a hurry to upgrade Vista to Windows 8 (pain in the butt) or buy a new PC (hundreds of $$). Not to mention the expense of buying LR5.

So, what I do is first convert my E-M1 RAW files into DNG format using the Adobe DNG converter, and then import the DNG files into LR 4. Here's a more detailed explanation:

DNG Converter v8.3 will convert E-M1 .ORF files (or Panasonic G6 RAW files) to DNG format. All versions of LR import and work with DNG format raw files, no problem at all. If you're on LR4 already, you'll have no problems.

It does add extra steps into your processing workflow ..

• transfer RAW files to a hard drive folder
  • convert the RAW files to DNG
  • import the DNG files into LR4

Lightroom imports JPEG, TIFF, PNG or PSD files from any source. It doesn't need any converter or do any interpretation to render them like it does with raw files. Raw files require conversion/interpretation to render, which is specific to the individual camera models.

The above is predicated upon the fact that you are amenable to saving your files in DNG format (as opposed to RAW files plus the sidecar files).  That's not a problem for me, since I had already been in the habit of converting the RAW files from my other cameras into DNG format when I imported them directly into LR4.

Hope this helps

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +9 more
Re: Avoiding Lightroom...

Guy:

Thanks. I'm still on 3.1. I'll look for the FREE upgrade.

Alan

Tom:

Thanks for the very informative reply. It's too much hassle for me. I'll use SlikyPix, with all of it's foibles, to keep the workflow less complex.

Alan

Guy Parsons

akett wrote:

Guy:

Thanks. I'm still on 3.1. I'll look for the FREE upgrade.

Alan

Find V4.1 at http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/ and you can install V4.1 alongside V3.1, but has the peculiarity that only one version can run at a time. If you have V3.1 open and try to open V4.1 it just calls V3.1, and if you had V4.1 open and tried to call V3.1 then it just calls V4.1.

Again my differences page helps sort out any worthwhile changes and there are a few.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/silkypix/s18-differences.html

A Silkypix tool that I find that I am using more often is the auto exposure evaluation, it is in all versions but in V4.1 looks like this....

The default when image loaded is 0.0 and it's always worth a try of the Auto as it's a more precise matrix metering of the RAW image and most times looks better than the camera's effort.

The Silkypix manual's words are .....

You can use "auto exposure bias" function by selecting "Auto(SILKYPIX evaluation)" from the "Exposure bias" dropdown list.
The algorithm of the "auto exposure bias" function in SILKYPIX Developer Studio 4.1 SE detects an object, and analyzes the included colors precisely.

This is a quick way to getting the perfect exposure for your images, even if you underexpose your pictures a little. Slight underexposure is typical for RAW photography, as it prevents the highlight areas from loosing structure. [Huh, the usual mis-spelling of "losing"]
This feature reduces time to adjust development parameters.

Regards...... Guy

Olympus PEN E-P5

Guy:

Good tip. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Alan

Guy:

Just gave it a try. I like it! Gave a nice adjustment to the RAW file I use for testing.

If you've got any more Silkypix hints and tips, please be sure to post. I find it a very opaque package to use.

Thanks again....

Alan

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,305

akett wrote:

Tom:

Thanks for the very informative reply. It's too much hassle for me. I'll use SlikyPix, with all of it's foibles, to keep the workflow less complex.

Alan

Now that's a laugh. I found just using Lightroom to be ten times easier than using Silkypix. Whatever turns you on.

If you didn't upgrade your camera, you wouldn't need to upgrade the software required to work with it. Did you ever think of that? What was wrong with your previous camera?

-- hide signature --

Nice helpful addition to the thread, just like you last one. I ask a question and get snark.  Very web. If you've nothing positive to contribute, don't bother.

And as for my last camera, my Brownie wasn't cutting it any more. I can do snark too. Go away.

Alan

Guy Parsons
Silkypix chatter.....

akett wrote:

Guy:

Just gave it a try. I like it! Gave a nice adjustment to the RAW file I use for testing.

If you've got any more Silkypix hints and tips, please be sure to post. I find it a very opaque package to use.

Thanks again....

Alan

I've been fiddling since V2 and it's a great program, everything has an adjustment, but mostly it's a run down the left hand column one by one, trying the changes listed and fine tuning via the sliders that appear below.

Just some random things that I find interesting.......

Be aware that a double click on the image makes it 100% and another double click takes it back to fit frame.

Geometric corrections for wide angle lenses where buildings lean inwards etc if the lens not level is easy, but you need to allow a sloppy framing if intending that as it can auto crop as it corrects the vertical or horizontal perspective distortion and thus lose some edges. Use View - Rotation/Digital Shift - tick Digital Shift and then the slider to get leaning in verticals back to vertical.

The usual barrel/pincushion distortion is altered with View - Lens Aberration Controller - tick Distortion and twiddle the slider to get accurate straight lines at edges as the auto correction leaves a little more to fix, just like the jpegs out of camera do.

Fiddle colour adjustments with View - Fine Colour Controller as I find Silkypix is a bit too enthusiastic with greens at times and needs a bit of toning down.

I usually tell people to press F1 to get the manual that is installed with the software, and then read Section 0 first, then Section 10 and then wander where you will. Lots of info in that manual but is a bit hard going to read straight off.

Overall I find it the easiest of any RAW converter to use and it seems to get good results more easily than any of the others I've tried. Sadly the V5 (for all cameras) is rather too expensive but major version changes are far apart and the overall cost for say 10 years would be less than any Adobe product. New cameras are added at a frantic rate, almost before they can be bought.

Version 6 in Japanese is being sold now so the English version will come soon, keep an eye on possible cheaper upgrade deals if serious about the program as for one period last year the upgrade to V5 Pro ran at about $45 for any V3.1 SE users, a huge bargain, usually is about 5 or 6 times that price. Anyway, there's a 30 day free trial to see if V5 does anything more for you, but V3.1 and V4.1 have most of the good things already there.

Normal V5 Pro price is 27,000 Yen and last time I looked the discount for V3.1/V4.1 users to upgrade was 21,000 Yen (can't find it right now) instead of that last year's super-duper deal of 3,800 Yen.

Regards....... Guy

Olympus PEN E-P5
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
The Brownie couldn't cut it? Oh no!

akett wrote:

And as for my last camera, my Brownie wasn't cutting it any more.

Did you miss out on the free digital sensor upgrade that led directly to the Kerash of Kodak?

LOL!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
I find this stuff irritating since updating RAW converson…

…is pretty straightforward as I understand it. Why can't app makers be nice and just issue simple updates for this kind of stuff?

I know they need to make a buck, but there is a difference between making a decent buck and gouging.

My PP program, PhotoLine, keeps up with the new RAW releases very well, when I;m witing for an update, I use DNG. Mostly I just go JPEG, though. My use of RAW is pretty rare.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads