Reading mode: Light Dark

Older Lens Compatibility with Nikon D7100

Started Dec 31, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
vettenuts New Member • Posts: 3
Older Lens Compatibility with Nikon D7100

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006).  One of these is the 75-300mm AF Zoom Nikkor lense, which was always a favorite to use.  Can anyone tell me if this lens is compatible with the newer DSLR cameras, specifically the D7100 which is on my current short list for a new camera.

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kaffina Regular Member • Posts: 274
Re: Older Lens Compatibility with Nikon D7100

If its the AF zoom from nikon , then you should have no problems at all.  The 7100 is compatible with most Nikon lenses from Ai, Ais , Screw drive AF and the new AF lenses.

kaffina's gear list:kaffina's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Olympus E-M5 II Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
afoton
afoton Senior Member • Posts: 1,111

vettenuts wrote:

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006).

All lenses that is compatible with your old camera, is also compatible with D7100.

vettenuts OP New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks for the information.  Does that mean the stabilization of the D7100 will work correctly as well?  As you can tell, I am not an expert.  But being able to use my older lenses will allow me to buy the body only plus I got some great shots with my older lenses although the zoom is quite heavy because it is all metal.

Cope
Cope Veteran Member • Posts: 6,327

vettenuts wrote:

Thanks for the information. Does that mean the stabilization of the D7100 will work correctly as well? As you can tell, I am not an expert. But being able to use my older lenses will allow me to buy the body only plus I got some great shots with my older lenses although the zoom is quite heavy because it is all metal.

Stabilization is on the lens, not the body.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
carauction Veteran Member • Posts: 6,644

vettenuts wrote:

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006). One of these is the 75-300mm AF Zoom Nikkor lense, which was always a favorite to use. Can anyone tell me if this lens is compatible with the newer DSLR cameras, specifically the D7100 which is on my current short list for a new camera.

Do you need 24 megapix? The more pixels, the tougher it will be to produce nice IQ with the older esp slower lenses. I just bought a D7000 with 16 megapix....just a thought.

Mike

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 13,462

vettenuts wrote:

I have two lenses for an older 35mm Nikon camera (6006). One of these is the 75-300mm AF Zoom Nikkor lense, which was always a favorite to use. Can anyone tell me if this lens is compatible with the newer DSLR cameras, specifically the D7100 which is on my current short list for a new camera.

It will work but it might not be your favorite anymore; that's an old design and won't be real sharp on a D7100, which has a smaller sensor than a 35mm film camera.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads