New Member Please Help

Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions
adriancaf91 New Member • Posts: 3
New Member Please Help

Im new to the forum and really need help. I just started getting into photography and purchased a sony nex5T. Its a mirrorless camera. I wanted to know if its a good camera to shoot cars or would you guys recommend me something better for around the same price .$700

Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 16,280
What are the cars doing?

adriancaf91 wrote:

Im new to the forum and really need help. I just started getting into photography and purchased a sony nex5T. Its a mirrorless camera. I wanted to know if its a good camera to shoot cars or would you guys recommend me something better for around the same price .$700

Are the cars moving? Racing? How far away?

The NEX is good for things that don't need rapid autofocus; A DSLR would be better for moving subjects but the ones in your price range may not be a significant improvement.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
OP adriancaf91 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: What are the cars doing?

Well i like to take rolling shots in the streets or just still shots. Not really that far away

yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 10,630
Re: New Member Please Help

If you are shooting cars "on the ground" at auto shows, drive ins, car club meets, auctions, etc., I would think the NEX would be quite good. I've played around with NEX 6s and 7s and like the way they handle when shooting static subjects.

I like taking pictures of cars and prefer a mild wide angle focal length, say the equivalent of about 35mm in full frame, for that "one step back" effect, particularly in tight quarters.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +14 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,892

You will get even more advice by posting your question on the NEX forum - but - yes, your camera is fine for photographing cars - it all depends on your ability to use it to the full extent of its abilities.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
PenPix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,261

adriancaf91 wrote:

I took a lot of pictures of cars parked on the street or in shows during my summer with a NEX-5.  It's just as good as any other camera for that.  The tilting screen is a plus for low angle shots!

Now… once they start racing, that's another story.  Due to the slow AF, you're going to have to pre-focus  where you want to take a picture… then follow the car until it enter the "zone" to snap your picture.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,331
Re: What are the cars doing?

adriancaf91 wrote:

Well i like to take rolling shots in the streets or just still shots. Not really that far away

The NEX 5 will do fine. These cameras can produce excellent quality.

At some point you might want to add some more lenses, but for now, just go out and shoot. Get experience.

In streets at dusk, experiment with the HHT setting.

digitalshooter
digitalshooter Forum Pro • Posts: 19,604
a more expensive camera will not make you a novice a better

photographer.  Since you bought the Sony, learn with it and move up down the road, as I am sure that once you become familiar with it and learn its limitations, you will want more.  I would make this same comment regardless of what you purchased as a beginner!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads