PowerShots can't do purple!?

Started Dec 29, 2013 | Discussions
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
PowerShots can't do purple!?

I just found out Canon Powershots can't do purples. Is this a surprise to anyone else?

I've been eyeing this new (brand irrelevant) enthusiast compact and went onto the forum to ask people how it stacks up against the G11 I have now, and one response mentioned Canon point and shoots can't do purple. I didn't believe it at all, but I found and photographed all the purple things in my house with my G11 and not one of them looks purple on the screen, and even in the RAW file there's a HUGE difference between the purple that exists in reality and the "purple" the camera thought it was. Here's what he said in the response:

"yada yada yada...(brand/model irrelevant)...more accurate color photos than the S95 does. Actually just a few days ago, a camera salesman told me the Canon compact cameras could not capture purple correctly. I did not believe, so he brought out a Powershot S120 and shot at a purple business card. The purple card appeared blue instead of purple. He told me he had a G10 and it had the same issue...blah blah blah.......You can check your camera by going to the Yahoo page and shoot at the logo and see whether the logo appears blue or purple."

I don't mean to make a big deal here or bash Canons, I've got a good four or five years out of my G11. But this new piece of information absolutely astounded me. All I want to know is, is this common knowledge here in the Canon PowerShot forum that Canon struggles with purple or is it just a few models, a few sensors or a few copies that have this problem? Does yours have this problem?

-Raj

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkkIwO_X4i4

Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
crashpc Veteran Member • Posts: 7,193
Re: PowerShots can't do purple!?

wow man!

Tried with my new G15, and it does as you say. I point my camera on Yahoo page loeaded, and it´s blue on my camera display. That´s some glitch! Can anybody explore/explain deeper?

Does it affect EOS cameras?

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M10 Sony a7R Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE

I asked someone with EOS 400D to shoot it. It´s not as blue as from powershot, but still, it has VERY strong blu-ish cast. Very interesting. What we gonna do?

It looks like there is problew with lower specter of red color. When I change it in RAW, it goes more to purple. But I´m freaked out of how spread is this problem across Canon cams.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Canon EOS M10 Sony a7R Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE
filibuster
filibuster Veteran Member • Posts: 3,990

This was discussed a few months ago: You may want to refer to this thread.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52217946

-- hide signature --

Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

RaymondR
RaymondR Senior Member • Posts: 2,477

I had a G11 for three years and never noticed the "purple" problem you cite.  Maybe it had to do with the light you were shooting in (indoors), as I rarely used the G11 for indoor photos.  The flower images below (lightly post processed, the first image more than the second) were taken outside in excellent light and the color rendition of the purple in the captured image (RAW and JPG) was true to real life to my eye:

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more

Thank you both, will explore and study more about this.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Marvelisticme New Member • Posts: 1

My SX50 does purple, though it does tend to pick up more blue from the lighted, digital purple on the computer screen.

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 55,144
It's not a camera problem

It's a screen problem.  The color gamut of the screen on the back of the camera has a hard time producing purple (violet, actually).  The color gamut of the sensor inside the camera is drastically wider than that of the screen, which means your images are fine, they just have blue purples on the camera's display.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +23 more
Elliern Contributing Member • Posts: 711

I posted a question about this regarding my sx50 awhile back.  Here is a link and some responses.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3550859

Ellie

Elliern's gear list:Elliern's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon D5100 Sony a6000 Nikon D5500
Here's some proof

Lee Jay wrote:

It's a screen problem. The color gamut of the screen on the back of the camera has a hard time producing purple (violet, actually). The color gamut of the sensor inside the camera is drastically wider than that of the screen, which means your images are fine, they just have blue purples on the camera's display.

Same image, shown on my desktop display and on the camera's display.  This was taken by an SLR in raw, so the colors should be fine.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +23 more
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280
Re: Here's some proof

Lee Jay wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

It's a screen problem. The color gamut of the screen on the back of the camera has a hard time producing purple (violet, actually). The color gamut of the sensor inside the camera is drastically wider than that of the screen, which means your images are fine, they just have blue purples on the camera's display.

Same image, shown on my desktop display and on the camera's display.  This was taken by an SLR in raw, so the colors should be fine.

Bravo, Lee Jay!  That is a very convincing picture.   Well done.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 +35 more

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Same image, shown on my desktop display and on the camera's display. This was taken by an SLR in raw, so the colors should be fine.

Bravo, Lee Jay! That is a very convincing picture. Well done.

Thanks.

It's funny this came up.  This is my wife's SX260.  When she was shooting these flowers while we were on vacation, she asked me why her camera couldn't shoot purple and always turned it into blue (purple is her favorite color).  I told her not to worry that they were purple.  She said something like, "no look here, it looks blue!"  I didn't have to look.  I just told her to trust me.  She's known me for over 20 years and knows full well I'm a geek so she did and kept shooting for almost two weeks until we got back home, when I showed her the pictures on the computer screen.  Yup...purple.  Every one of them!

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280

I am wondering if there is a difference in the color between jpg and RAW.  Your illustration is in RAW.  Would the same coloring still be there with jpg?... ie., is the jpg shot also different from the LCD presentation?  I'm thinking it would be, but would like your confirmation.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 +35 more

Dale Buhanan wrote:

I am wondering if there is a difference in the color between jpg and RAW. Your illustration is in RAW. Would the same coloring still be there with jpg?... ie., is the jpg shot also different from the LCD presentation? I'm thinking it would be, but would like your confirmation.

The shot on the back of the SX260 was taken in JPEG and the JPEG is what is displayed on the computer monitor.  The only raw was the shot I took of both screens together.

Raw won't help this problem - the little LCDs on the backs of the cameras simply aren't capable of displaying purple.  It's out of their color gamut.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,712

Lee Jay wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Same image, shown on my desktop display and on the camera's display. This was taken by an SLR in raw, so the colors should be fine.

I've remarked exactly the same problem here:

but I didn't jump to conclusions until I've downloaded the image

Happy shooting everyone,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P1000

Well, I still "have it". When I download it to my computer. It clearly remains blue.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

Gonini Forum Member • Posts: 63

at least on my monitor the two cotton balls and the tap look purple, probably an indoor shot will yield other results but I believe this would be common for other P/S brands as well

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 9,712

crashpc wrote:

Well, I still "have it". When I download it to my computer. It clearly remains blue.

I believe you, but unfortunately I could test my camera only. As G15/G16 were generally acclaimed (here G15 won the Gold Award), I can infere your camera is defective and should be returned .

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P1000

Will try it outside, if there is lighting problem or what. As I wrote, one of my "friends" shoot it with EOS 400D, and it was also very blu-ish. Crazy.

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

RotBart Regular Member • Posts: 457
My G15 do purple !

as you can see in this pic

Iris at my backyard - taken in superfine JPG

But Canon-AWB is not reliable in natural light (very blueish output). My previous cams were Kodak which in my opinion had the best AWB. So AWB was my default setting. But I had to change that with my Canon.

I like the colors of my new G15, but now I choose sunny or cloudy for outdoor shooting. For indoor or night shots AWB seems to work fine.

-- hide signature --

Gerardo

RotBart's gear list:RotBart's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads