Mater comes to my town.

Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions
Meuh
Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103
Mater comes to my town.

I was in my studio looking though my LED light bag and I found my son's toy Mater who had went missing for around two weeks, So I decided to do a little photo of it.

First off I walked outside my studio and took a photo of my town, the Auld Kirk Museum seemed to make a nice background, I then went back to the studio and shot Mater looking at the outside shot and moving lights around to make it match.

It's a fairly quick photo but it was fun and my son loved the results.

What would you do if you found your son's toy while at work?
Taken with k5 and 16-50 f2.8

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,049
Re: Mater comes to my town.

It has a very realistic look.  It is hard to do but getting the shadow to look correct under the toy is a key.  I also find getting the transparency level correct when I'm painting a background level in through a car window to make the shot look realistic to be a challenge.  The viewer has to see the background through the window but slightly blurred and transparency of around 60% often will work for that (trial and error).

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8
emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,216

Meuh wrote:

I was in my studio looking though my LED light bag and I found my son's toy Mater who had went missing for around two weeks, So I decided to do a little photo of it.

First off I walked outside my studio and took a photo of my town, the Auld Kirk Museum seemed to make a nice background, I then went back to the studio and shot Mater looking at the outside shot and moving lights around to make it match.

Love the stuff you come up with (and your expertise in pulling it off). How is the studio coming along btw?

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 IIs +12 more
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,226

Very neat, well done

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,720

very good.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
Meuh
OP Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103

emem wrote:

Meuh wrote:

Love the stuff you come up with (and your expertise in pulling it off). How is the studio coming along btw?

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Thank you.
The studio has come along well,  I still have a few things to build on and stuff but the doors are open (well closed for the holidays so I can spend some time with the kids after slaving away in the unit for months).
I just installed a gallery rail type system to one of the walls in the front room so I can have pictures hanging but also have the ability to take them away to leave a clean white brick wall for shooting on if I desire.
The start of next year I'm going to hold an open day (still deciding on the date) and start to advertise and stuff and hopefully pull in some money :).
I will be offering studio rental as well as photography services for people.

Sinnettc
Sinnettc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,511

Mater seems to fit right in.

What are you using for your editing software?  I retired CS2 when I upgraded my machine and haven't come up with a replacement yet.  Lightroom does 95% of what I need but this kind of creative work is outside its scope.

Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Meuh
OP Meuh Veteran Member • Posts: 3,103

Sinnettc wrote:

Mater seems to fit right in.

What are you using for your editing software? I retired CS2 when I upgraded my machine and haven't come up with a replacement yet. Lightroom does 95% of what I need but this kind of creative work is outside its scope.

I use PS CC but this was simplay two layers with a mask, so any software that can do that should be fine, getting the colors to match I did in Lr5.  The trick I guess is matching the lighting :).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads