Truly great OSS of the 55-210mm, good resolution @ max zoom & f6.3

Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
Truly great OSS of the 55-210mm, good resolution @ max zoom & f6.3

I was tempted to lug my smaller/faster primes to NYC - my Canon FD 85mm f1.2, or my Canon LTM 135mm f3.5. But the weight of that kit was more than I wanted to carry, so I took just the 55-210.

Shot in the NY Public Library. Check his eyelashes and pores - 1/30th/210mm handheld is easy with this lens.

Along with the SEL16f28 and UWA, and the 16-55 PZ, an affordable and lightweight 12mm-210 kit.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +12 more
WoodWorks Senior Member • Posts: 1,419
Re: Truly great OSS of the 55-210mm, good resolution @ max zoom & f6.3

Geez Mel, first you give us all a long, pedantic lecture on how it's not about the gear, and then here you tell us that it is. 

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

Mel Snyder
OP Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

WoodWorks wrote:

Geez Mel, first you give us all a long, pedantic lecture on how it's not about the gear, and then here you tell us that it is.

David

Illustrated, my friend - illustrated. That's my complaint.

I love gear talk backed with images. It's the endless prattle without image evidence, opinions slamming or boosting one lens or another without evidence backing the claim (often defended when challenged as "that's what everyone on the forum says.")

I bought my SEL16F28 and UWA because I saw a few images challenging the 10-18, and asked others to submit examples - and got many persuasive ones. Now, more than a third of my travel images are with that combo.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +12 more
PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,356

Nice and sharp. Not the type I would approach with a model release to sign. Wonder what he's researching? Kitten videos on YouTube? Lol

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II
Mel Snyder

PVCdroid wrote:

Nice and sharp. Not the type I would approach with a model release to sign. Wonder what he's researching? Kitten videos on YouTube? Lol

Agree re requesting a release! But it is the New York PUBLIC Library! But then again, Mark Zuckerberg wears a hoodie - and that expression roughly parallels his went asked about Facebook privacy issues...

RGBaker Contributing Member • Posts: 962

Privacy rules vary by country, but in the US a picture taken of anyone, whether in a public or even a private space, can be presented as long as it isn't used to promote or sell a product/service -- that is you can take a 'street' photo and as long as that is what you present it as, you're OK without a release. Careful not to misrepresent the location, or impart an association (show a participant in a march, for instance, but label the march as something other than what it was). The issue of a subject in a private location is more complex -- I have the right to expect that in my home I'm safe from the prying eyes of the long lens -- a celebrity does not enjoy that reasonable expectation. My backyard is fair game, even if it is well fenced.
Europeans have different rights, the UK more than most. The 'developing world' is generally more concerned with other issues, and right of privacy is not expected.
Which is to say as long as you don't caption the photo 'would be murderer searches internet for killing techniques' ... you're probably good to go!

Nice image; not least because the lighting and composition is first rate, and the lens didn't disappoint.

Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +1 more
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Great shot Mel, I can't stand that lens, but my wife loves it…it is a very good size as well as the 16mm f/2.8, one definitely can't argue that point!

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,356

Good information. Thank you. My wife is always giving me a hard time shooting street scenes. I'll show her this.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7R II
WoodWorks Senior Member • Posts: 1,419

Mel Snyder wrote:

Gotcha. A significant distinction. Thanks.

David

-- hide signature --

It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,688

WoodWorks wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Gotcha. A significant distinction. Thanks.

David

Well, I would have made the further point that the 55-210 is regularly panned in this forum and to less extent in reviews.  So, to praise this lens is not praising the equipment so much as to show that expensive higher-end equipment isn't necessary.  Or at least that's how I like to look at it.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +8 more
Mel Snyder

I have two categories of equipment: Fun and work. Until I can justify an A7 - or better yet, have the chance to buy a version of the A7 with the A3000 sensor - the NEX-6 is a fun camera, and subject to tight budgets.

If and when I get either an A7 or a version with an APS-C sensor - with the pro audio capabilities of an A7, which would let me replace my D7000s for medical videos - THEN I can justify opening my wallet wider. For web video and sales-rep iPads, APS-C is just fine. And so, I'd REALLY be thrilled for an APS-C version of the A7, because then I could justify buying lots of E mount lenses!

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,161

Nice photo.  Makes me wonder if I really need the 18-105 to get low light images.... (as I'm debating in the thread I started and to which you responded...thanks)

Mel Snyder

CameraCarl wrote:

Nice photo. Makes me wonder if I really need the 18-105 to get low light images.... (as I'm debating in the thread I started and to which you responded...thanks)

A lot will depend on the kind of subjects, the kind of lighting those subjects will be in - and your comfort in shooting at low shutter speeds. Clearly good for action in daylight, not for indoor action unless well lit (e.g. professional ice hockey) or motor racing (all the track shots and many closeups on an overcast day) or immobile in low lighting

For indoor action, I know of no affordable AF zooms for the NEX-6. There's a tyranny of optical reality - fast telephoto lenses that can track action at all have very narrow DOF. Even if there were E mount lenses, an NEX or A7 isn't the right camera for action. But you can get that action with a fast, inexpensive 50mm manual prime.

Example: Pro basketball photographers don't usually focus anyway - they know from experience where players are likely to be on the court, and they know the best shots aren't basket shots (I can always spot an amateur basketball shooter - most/all of their shots are basket shots). They zone focus by focusing a manual lens on the spot on the floor where action is likely to occur, and like a Venus flytrap, wait for subjects to enter the zone. My keeper rate plunged, not increased when I got my first fast AF zoom for my Nikons; a basketball player shot from courtside is always smaller than the crowd behind him - a factor that explains much of the "backfocusing" baloney here on the forum.

I plan to visit some high school basketball games in my area with my NEX-6 and 85mm f1.2 Canon FD and 50mm f1.4/f2 lenses in January, and will post some examples of how a fast manual prime can capture even basketball action.

Mel Snyder
Senaca Regular Member • Posts: 164

I made a post with some long-range handheld night shots a while back. It really is a great lens for what it is.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3182321

Works pretty well for me as a portrait lens as well, if lighting supports it.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,810

That's a good shot Mel but you have a good copy of that lens, and that must help! I'm lucky enough to have a good one too.

Cheers,

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
cwood Contributing Member • Posts: 662

CameraCarl wrote:

Nice photo. Makes me wonder if I really need the 18-105 to get low light images.... (as I'm debating in the thread I started and to which you responded...thanks)

A lot will depend on the kind of subjects, the kind of lighting those subjects will be in - and your comfort in shooting at low shutter speeds. Clearly good for action in daylight, not for indoor action unless well lit (e.g. professional ice hockey) or motor racing (all the track shots and many closeups on an overcast day) or immobile in low lighting

For indoor action, I know of no affordable AF zooms for the NEX-6. There's a tyranny of optical reality - fast telephoto lenses that can track action at all have very narrow DOF. Even if there were E mount lenses, an NEX or A7 isn't the right camera for action. But you can get that action with a fast, inexpensive 50mm manual prime.

Example: Pro basketball photographers don't usually focus anyway - they know from experience where players are likely to be on the court, and they know the best shots aren't basket shots (I can always spot an amateur basketball shooter - most/all of their shots are basket shots). They zone focus by focusing a manual lens on the spot on the floor where action is likely to occur, and like a Venus flytrap, wait for subjects to enter the zone. My keeper rate plunged, not increased when I got my first fast AF zoom for my Nikons; a basketball player shot from courtside is always smaller than the crowd behind him - a factor that explains much of the "backfocusing" baloney here on the forum.

I plan to visit some high school basketball games in my area with my NEX-6 and 85mm f1.2 Canon FD and 50mm f1.4/f2 lenses in January, and will post some examples of how a fast manual prime can capture even basketball action.

My kids play competitive ball. The only thing fast enough to use in the average gym is f2 or lower. I generally use a 50mm and get close. Trying to focus on the fly generally ends in sadness.

Dohmnuill Contributing Member • Posts: 787

WoodWorks wrote:

David

Mel, I'm surprised someone hasn't asked you to make images without using any gear at all !

David has since understood your point, but other photo-less types are still whining, no doubt.

I store a few shots in "My Gallery" to illustrate various lens combinations.

Have to agree about the 16mm (and 12mm wide angle converter). I tend to vignette the edges so any slight loss of definition there is of little consequence to me.

Mel Snyder

captura wrote:

That's a good shot Mel but you have a good copy of that lens, and that must help! I'm lucky enough to have a good one too.

Cheers,

Steve

Hmmm.

I got a "good copy" of my 16-50 PZ with my NEX-6 from B&H in February.

I got a "good copy" of my 55-210 from Amazon in June.

I bought my "good copy" of my 16mm used from a guy on Boston Craig's List.

And last week, I bought a "good copy" of the 40mm f1.8 Hexanon from eBay.

I guess I ought to head to Vegas with that kind of serial luck. I've never had a bad one.

But have you ever noticed how the claims of "bad copies" rarely are backed by images that prove the problem with the lens wasn't the person shooting it?

Mel Snyder

cwood wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

A lot will depend on the kind of subjects, the kind of lighting those subjects will be in - and your comfort in shooting at low shutter speeds. Clearly good for action in daylight, not for indoor action unless well lit (e.g. professional ice hockey) or motor racing (all the track shots and many closeups on an overcast day) or immobile in low lighting

My kids play competitive ball. The only thing fast enough to use in the average gym is f2 or lower. I generally use a 50mm and get close. Trying to focus on the fly generally ends in sadness.

I agree completely. Most school gyms without TV-grade lighting really suck for available light.

If you can get court side, you can boost your keeper rate by standing about 3-5 feet toward the basket along the baseline, and shooting up court. Except for fast breaks, there's about a 3-5 foot zone where most players stop or slow down, coming right at you, or crossing into the paint.

Or use off-the-camera flash + a small trigger strobe on the camera, as I did in the old film era 50+ years ago:

Minolta Autocord on Tri-X

If the action is good enough, even straight on-camera flash can get winning results:

AF is so overrated.

Image above was titled "Sputnik?" and won the Grand Prize in the 1959 Kodak High School Photo Contest. Although $400 seems like a puny grand prize today, it paid for half a semester tuition at Lehigh University in those days - and "won" me 4 years of freelance work from the Bethlehem (PA) Globe Times newspaper...a summer internship at the Easton Express - and a clip book full of photo/newswriting features that landed me my first job upon graduation, with Burson-Marsteller PR agency.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads