Banding on MKIII and Some New User Questions

Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions
bronxbombers4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,387
Re: Banding on MKIII and Some New User Questions

Bob Markey II wrote:

It has done this with two cards. Both are relatively new and both work fine in my MKIIn. I will change cards and try again.

Thanks.

hmm that's worse, then it sounds like some of the buffer memory in the camera may be failing or maybe some contacts or some buffer chip that communicates to the CF cards

(unless you jsut got lucky and the IId has happened to not right to the bad portions of the CF card, although with two cards that seems less likely, if still an outside possibility)

bronxbombers4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,387

Bob Markey II wrote:

I've never used live view, but will give it a try.

also try some big bursts that overflow the internal camera buffer and also try filling the card completely

and maybe very lightly shaking camera or also making it get really cold (to test for loose connections)

but with those weird streaks it's not a camera I'd keep and want to have to deal with, I'd forget the deal, too much risk for a MAJOR repair and almost 100% risk for at least a minor repair where they need to fix some loose connection (still might cost a lot)

OP Bob Markey II Contributing Member • Posts: 679

It did it again today after I had made 50 or so images. Oddly, it always starts to happen just before dusk. I will go out earlier tomorrow and shoot a bunch of images well before dusk and see what happens.

I plan to shoot a college hoops game Wednesday, just to check for high ISO and focusing issues, and the send it to CPS for a check. The seller can decide if he wants it fixed or back as is.

It looks like I'll be looking for another 1D MK III very soon.

Bob Markey II's gear list:Bob Markey II's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more

I used the MKIII with low-light sports for the first time today and came away pretty pleased with it.

First, I noticed none of the banding I have been experiencing shooting real estate photos.

The servo AF seemed pretty quick and able to follow the action pretty well, maybe a bit better than my MKIIn does.

I shot manual exposure (mainly 1/650 at F/2.0) with the trusty 85 1.8, at ISO 2500 to 3200. I found 3200 to be about as good as the 1600 on the MKIIn.

Here is a gallery I posted on the Florida Atlantic University sports Web site to which I contribute. A few of the images are cropped and had some auto-corrections. None had any noise reduction. A few are soft. It might be my error, or perhaps an issue with the lens (noticed many soft previously images with the MKIIn).

http://www.fauowlsnest.com/forum/topicview/misc/fau-men-s-basketball/photos-men-s.htm

So, MKIII users, is this about what I can expect from this body?

I plan to mail it to CPS tomorrow for a complete check. My next game is not for 15 days, so I have a bit of time.

Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,976

Bob Markey II wrote:

It did it again today after I had made 50 or so images. Oddly, it always starts to happen just before dusk. I will go out earlier tomorrow and shoot a bunch of images well before dusk and see what happens.

I plan to shoot a college hoops game Wednesday, just to check for high ISO and focusing issues, and the send it to CPS for a check. The seller can decide if he wants it fixed or back as is.

It looks like I'll be looking for another 1D MK III very soon.

It's possible it's just electromagnetic interference of some sort. Cell phones are notorious as sources of interference. You could test this out by calling your phone from another phone while shooting a rapid burst.

Focus motors can cause this sort of interference, too. Some cameras are worse than others about EF shielding. I thought the 1D III was shielded pretty well. If that's what the problem is, CPS can probably firm up the shielding. The thing about EF interference, though, is that usually it presents as more regular bands than shown in your picture, or even pulses within rasters. I guess it depends, though, on the frequency of the interference.

That it seems to happen around dusk made me think of EF. I'm pretty sure some radios and probably television stations change strength around dusk. Also, the horizon/atmosphere reflects, refracts, and diffracts the radio waves from the sun, so you could get EF noise directly from the sun. I didn't think that should be significant for cameras, though.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more

Interesting. I had no idea about such interference and never experienced it before with two original 1D bodies and the MKIIn.

Today, I shot from 2:30 to around 4:30, just before dusk. No issues.

I just heard back from CPS on my new-to-me 1D Mark III. After the initial estimate (total guess) of $233.00, it has now ballooned to $2,066. Canon says the CMOS is failing and that part alone is $1,600. No, thank you!

The body is going back to the very cooperative seller.

I am very disappointed, but it could be worse. I could be out my purchase money for a large paper weight.

Now, I am back to the market, looking for a good condition 1D Mark III.

Bob Walker Junior Member • Posts: 36

Bob,

The 1D MkIII is a great camera.  When you get one with a functioning sensor, I think you will be very pleased.

Bob W

Bob Walker's gear list:Bob Walker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,976

Thanks for the update.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more

Thanks all. I've been looking around and found only a few 1D Mark IIIs, but they tend to be overpriced.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads