“Fastest Lens In the World” – The Handevision Ibelux 40mm f/0.85

Started Dec 27, 2013 | Discussions
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,815
“Fastest Lens In the World” – The Handevision Ibelux 40mm f/0.85

There’s a new super-fast prime lens for mirrorless shooters. The Handevision Ibelux 40mm f/0.85 (yeah, you read that right – f/0.85) is the product of a partnership between Chinese manufacturer Shanghai Transvision and German optical design firm, IB/E Optics. The press release calls the Ibelux 40mm f/0.85, “the fastest lens in the world.” There are faster specialized custom lenses but the Ibelux 40mm is nearly a full stop faster than Leica’s revered f/1.0 Noctilux, making it the fastest “serial production” lens available.

Look at the sample images from the below link

http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/fastest-lens-world-handevision-ibelux-40mm-f0-85?referrer=hpFeed&pos=3#slider-pro-1-5

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,753
Re: “Fastest Lens In the World” – The Handevision Ibelux 40mm f/0.85

mailman88 wrote:

There’s a new super-fast prime lens for mirrorless shooters. The Handevision Ibelux 40mm f/0.85 (yeah, you read that right – f/0.85) is the product of a partnership between Chinese manufacturer Shanghai Transvision and German optical design firm, IB/E Optics. The press release calls the Ibelux 40mm f/0.85, “the fastest lens in the world.” There are faster specialized custom lenses but the Ibelux 40mm is nearly a full stop faster than Leica’s revered f/1.0 Noctilux, making it the fastest “serial production” lens available.

http://www.photographyreview.com/reviews/fastest-lens-world-handevision-ibelux-40mm-f0-85?referrer=hpFeed&pos=3#slider-pro-1-5

I did read somewhere in that announcement that the sweet spot of the lens would be F5.6.

That does not excite me all that much.

I have some experience with the quality that Voigtländer delivers in their Nokton series, and it is quite good wide open and just plain excellent with minimal stopping down (we are still talking F1.4 or F2 here...).

And with that knowledge, the Nokton 42.5mmF0.95 seems more attractive to me.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

drcPhoto
drcPhoto Contributing Member • Posts: 611

With a MSRP of US-$ 2,080. , I suppose I will have to enjoy everyone else's photos with this lens. I would expect the new Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 to be less shocking in price plus a whole lot lighter in weight.  For a manual lens in this general focal length, the Voigtlander 42.5mm F0.95 at $999. looks pretty darned attractive.

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +27 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,753
additional thought...

RoelHendrickx wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

I did read somewhere in that announcement that the sweet spot of the lens would be F5.6.

I have some experience with the quality that Voigtländer delivers in their Nokton series, and it is quite good wide open and just plain excellent with minimal stopping down (we are still talking F1.4 or F2 here...).

... but even then, I think I will (for now) just stick with the Olympus 45mm F1.8.

Excellent image quality, fast AF and nice bokeh at that focal length for a fraction of the price.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

jpds Regular Member • Posts: 127

The claim is not correct. Canon / Kowa / Leitz-Leica have made a 65mm f/0.75
Stanley Kubrick famous candle lit scenes of Barry Lindon were shot with an f/0.7 Zeiss lens

J-P

Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,353

jpds wrote:

Stanley Kubrick famous candle lit scenes of Barry Lindon were shot with an f/0.7 Zeiss lens

J-P

It is a lawyerly claim.

Do they make them now? Are they in "serial production?"

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,353

This lens has a concave front element, giving it strange bokeh in the OOF highlights. I don't think it's bad hokeh. Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as bad bokeh, just different bokeh.

See the sample images here:

http://kipon.com/en/articledetail.asp?id=60

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,586

Nice bokeh and specular light rendering.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,707

Can anybody explain to me what the picture of the gulls shows that justifies a £2000 lens.  As someone who photographs birds it seems to me to show nothing that couldn't' be achieved with a £100 lens and probably better

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
jpds Regular Member • Posts: 127

Maybe I speak legalese, but the title is "a marketing pitch". To me the phrase "In the world" defines a geographic perimeter, not a time frame.

And somewhere in the world, there are much faster lenses... http://petapixel.com/2013/08/06/carl-zeiss-super-q-gigantar-40mm-f0-33-the-fastest-lens-ever-made/

J-P

EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

drcPhoto wrote:

With a MSRP of US-$ 2,080. , I suppose I will have to enjoy everyone else's photos with this lens. I would expect the new Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 to be less shocking in price plus a whole lot lighter in weight. For a manual lens in this general focal length, the Voigtlander 42.5mm F0.95 at $999. looks pretty darned attractive.

Dale

Pana 42.5/1.2 is a bit bigger than the 75/1.8, and weighs about 420g w/o caps, 450 with (75 is 300g). Someone has a production sample for review on pentax forums but dpr won't let me me post a link to the thread.

bluelemmy
bluelemmy Contributing Member • Posts: 990

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Can anybody explain to me what the picture of the gulls shows that justifies a £2000 lens. As someone who photographs birds it seems to me to show nothing that couldn't' be achieved with a £100 lens and probably better

-- hide signature --

What justifies the £2,000 lens is £2,000 and f0.85.

If someone put those demo pictures up and said they were taken with a Panasonic 25mm f1.4 everyone would yawn.

If they were taken with the Panasonic and labelled as with the f0.85 everyone would go 'oh, wow!'.

What those pictures prove is that boring pictures taken on an exciting lens remain boring pictures - and that lenses don't make pictures, photographers do.

-- hide signature --
 bluelemmy's gear list:bluelemmy's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,829

jpds wrote:

The claim is not correct.

That was my first reaction too, but it looks like they weaseled their claim by qualifying it as the fastest "serial production" lens.

That was a purpose-built lens, there were only 10 ever made.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

The only lens I have with a concave front element is the very sharp Zuiko 50f2. Some folks don't care for the bokeh on that lens either, but it has awesome sharpness and contrast.

The contrast looks decent in these photos, not hazy like you sometimes get, but of course you can't tell if PP has been done.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

brick33308
brick33308 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,847

RoelHendrickx wrote:

mailman88 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

I agree with Roel, wouldn't trade my Nokton 42.5 for this. Even wide open at f.95 it's pretty sharp, but then stopping it down to 1.4 or 2 and it's tack sharp all the way across.

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 15,057

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Can anybody explain to me what the picture of the gulls shows that justifies a £2000 lens. As someone who photographs birds it seems to me to show nothing that couldn't' be achieved with a £100 lens and probably better

-- hide signature --

And its taken with a NEX-7 !! A little embarrassing Trev. Mind you how many BIF's do we take with a 40mm fixed lens. Its not a lens I would be even thinking about.

All the best Trev and hope you and the family had a good one on Christmas.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 +6 more
David Kieltyka
David Kieltyka Veteran Member • Posts: 5,031
APS-C use

I have no need or desire for this lens on m43 cameras—the Voigtländer 42.5mm fits that bill nicely—but a Fuji X mount version? Oh yeah! 40mm is a long-ish "normal" focal length on APS-C...this lens would function pretty much like the 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor on a 35mm format camera. Right up my alley.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Leica M10 +7 more
Pic Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,310

EarthQuake wrote:

drcPhoto wrote:

With a MSRP of US-$ 2,080. , I suppose I will have to enjoy everyone else's photos with this lens. I would expect the new Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 to be less shocking in price plus a whole lot lighter in weight. For a manual lens in this general focal length, the Voigtlander 42.5mm F0.95 at $999. looks pretty darned attractive.

Dale

Pana 42.5/1.2 is a bit bigger than the 75/1.8, and weighs about 420g w/o caps, 450 with (75 is 300g). Someone has a production sample for review on pentax forums but dpr won't let me me post a link to the thread.

It's not surprising the pan 42.5 1.2 is bigger and heavier than the 75 as it has more glass + OIS. The manual focus lenses from nokton and this new one are likely to be heavier again due to the all metal construction and extra speed (more glass).

brian Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

jpds wrote:

J-P

Agreed. Plus, you get as fast as f/0.74 (and much better sharpness) with the new 0.58x Speed Booster http://www.eoshd.com/content/11620/metabones-speed-booster-blackmagic-cameras-bmcc-bmpcc .

-- hide signature --

Brian Caldwell

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 150

And somewhere in the world, there are much faster lenses... http://petapixel.com/2013/08/06/carl-zeiss-super-q-gigantar-40mm-f0-33-the-fastest-lens-ever-made/

J-P

From the article - "...photographers became fixated on the speed of lenses on paper rather than their performance in real world situations."

As much as we think things change the ore they stay the same.  Substitute speed of lenses to sensor size, megapixels, focus points, etc...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads