Sony A3000 images are impressive

Started Dec 27, 2013 | Discussions
RichRMA Senior Member • Posts: 4,073
Sony A3000 images are impressive

In the galleries here, it seems very sharp, very good resolution, relative to other cameras in the same league.  Not bad for a camera you can get for $325 with a kit lens.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AlphaTikal
AlphaTikal Senior Member • Posts: 2,140
Re: Sony A3000 images are impressive

This depends on the lens.

-- hide signature --

· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Samsung Galaxy S7 edge +11 more
miro3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,821

RichRMA wrote:

In the galleries here, it seems very sharp, very good resolution, relative to other cameras in the same league. Not bad for a camera you can get for $325 with a kit lens.

Still $279 from amazon itself (out of stock, but they will ship when available).

areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,585

This depends on the lens.

-- hide signature --

This is the case with every single camera, ever. What about the A3000 makes it worth pointing out?

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha a7
HZP Contributing Member • Posts: 820

Thanks to what DXO calls a "cutting edge sensor".

HZP's gear list:HZP's gear list
Fujifilm X-A10
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 17,685

RichRMA wrote:

In the galleries here, it seems very sharp, very good resolution, relative to other cameras in the same league. Not bad for a camera you can get for $325 with a kit lens.

Too bad the EVF is so bad (and the LCD not much better). For $280 (amazon) it's an amazing bargain. But the VF puts it in the category of "I'd only use it if I had to". The fixed, low-res LCD makes it unattractive as an alternative to NEX models even if you want to ignore the EVF. But if you don't mind the EVF/LCD, then it's a lot of camera for your money.

parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335

RichRMA wrote:

The sensor is good - there is no doubt about that

It's the rest of the camera that people have issues with

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! Campaign for *REAL* NEX replacement bodies

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
DT200 Contributing Member • Posts: 835
$325?????? Try $279 + free overnight shipping

BHPhoto has it for $279 and free shipping.  Yes the camera and lens!  I bought one as a present because even though the EVF is poor, it still is better than no EVF at all.  The camera is dog slow for everything, but for any beginner there is nothing as good at that price.

semifast Contributing Member • Posts: 780

I decided to jump on the Amazon deal for $279. I don't see the lcd or evf as making all that much difference from the point of view of getting good output but I guess I'll find out.

semifast's gear list:semifast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 Sony SLT-A58
semifast Contributing Member • Posts: 780
Re: $325?????? Try $279 + free overnight shipping

I've only taken a few pics so far but I don't notice anything "slow" about it ? My first impression is the opposite, it seems to focus pretty quickly for a cdaf.

I like the size alright too, its got a more comfortable grip than the A37 I had.

It also doesn't seem cheap to me, at least compared to many other plastic bodied dslrs it seems comparable at this early stage of familiarity.

semifast's gear list:semifast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 Sony SLT-A58
jpcubizo Forum Member • Posts: 77

I fully agree , I use it with the 18-200(the biggest) and the results are amazing. this not slow, as fast as nex 7.

it seems not more cheap than a canon 700.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,722

I expect  a new similar-looking A5000 model will be announced soon, perhaps in January.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
AlphaTikal
AlphaTikal Senior Member • Posts: 2,140

Is it announced? Where did you get that info?
--

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Samsung Galaxy S7 edge +11 more
areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,585

--

Nothing announced, just the usual predictions about Sony abandoning APS-C and/or smaller NEX-style cameras in favor of giant SLR lookalikes.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha a7
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 1,736

I agree with you, I've had mine since it first came out, I'm well equiped with DSLRs but I'm impressed with the A3000, I get some of the best results with my legacy lenses.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 +25 more
It is slow

semifast wrote:

I've only taken a few pics so far but I don't notice anything "slow" about it ? My first impression is the opposite, it seems to focus pretty quickly for a cdaf.

I like the size alright too, its got a more comfortable grip than the A37 I had.

It also doesn't seem cheap to me, at least compared to many other plastic bodied dslrs it seems comparable at this early stage of familiarity.

By slow I mean slower than average start up time, slow time between shots and only about 2 frames per second in continuous shooting mode while focusing.

Still, very few entry level buyers need that.  At $280 and free shipping, a camera with lens, a VF and a good 20MP sensor is a great bargain.  Like I said I bought one as a present and may get one for myself.

The only rumors so far are

areichow wrote:

--

Nothing announced, just the usual predictions about Sony abandoning APS-C and/or smaller NEX-style cameras in favor of giant SLR lookalikes.

The only rumors so far are for a larger NEX 7 replacement and a couple new Alpha mount bodies.  One rumor called 2014 the year of Alpha (although everything is an Alpha but not an Alpha mount).

Sony also said the next 5 lenses will be FE mount which means larger than if they were APS.   With the A3000 and new NEX 7 replacement those lenses will look good and balance well.   Only it won't be a small package.

It is strange that Sony has new 20MP sensor and only is putting in the A58 and A3000.  Maybe they are still working on adding PDAF pixels.

Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
A3000 sensor for the "next NEX"?

DT200 wrote:

semifast wrote:

By slow I mean slower than average start up time, slow time between shots and only about 2 frames per second in continuous shooting mode while focusing.

Still, very few entry level buyers need that. At $280 and free shipping, a camera with lens, a VF and a good 20MP sensor is a great bargain. Like I said I bought one as a present and may get one for myself.

Now...imagine that sensor in an A7 body. That is my hope for the "next NEX."

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192
Re: The only rumors so far are

Good marketing putting the best sensor in the cheaper bodies initially.

DT200 wrote:

areichow wrote:

--

The only rumors so far are for a larger NEX 7 replacement and a couple new Alpha mount bodies. One rumor called 2014 the year of Alpha (although everything is an Alpha but not an Alpha mount).

Sony also said the next 5 lenses will be FE mount which means larger than if they were APS. With the A3000 and new NEX 7 replacement those lenses will look good and balance well. Only it won't be a small package.

It is strange that Sony has new 20MP sensor and only is putting in the A58 and A3000. Maybe they are still working on adding PDAF pixels.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,192

In the UK the A3000 is now cheaper than the 18-55 lens by itself. So you can in effect get a free camera + a £10 cash back if you have not got an 18-55. Rather tempting.

RichRMA wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads