X20 newbie question

Started Dec 26, 2013 | Questions
snorri Regular Member • Posts: 325
X20 newbie question

Hi everyone,

new owner of a X20 here. Played around with it for two days now (very pleased with it), read the instructions, only one question so far:

When I turn the exposure compensation wheel, the image preview on the screen becomes lighter/darker and the live histogram changes accordingly.

But in M mode, no matter what aperture and exposure I set, the preview always looks the same. That's of course very nice for framing, focussing etc, but so far I haven't been able to find a setting that gives me some kind of real-time exposure preview.

Even weirder: The live histogram doesn't change either, which IMHO pretty much defies the purpose of having a histogram.

Am I overlooking something?

Greetings,

-- hide signature --

snorri

snorri's gear list:snorri's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D800
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: X20 newbie question

I'm not sure if the X20 has Auto ISO in manual mode, but I'd check to see if that is selected. I could see the exposure preview not being updated, but the fact that the histogram isn't changing makes me wonder about Auto ISO.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha a7
OP snorri Regular Member • Posts: 325

That was my first guess too, but it's the same when Auto ISO and DR Auto are disabled ...

Fujifilm X20 Nikon D800
alexisgreat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,459

auto ISO is not possible in manual mode of any Fuji camera that I am aware of, the LCD not previewing the exposure is a known "bug" of every Fuji camera that I am aware of Not sure about the histogram thing, I wouldn't rely on it even if it did "work" (and I use that term very loosely)- camera histograms are notoriously bad until you get into the DSLR and Mirrorless range. I believe Fuji histograms graph the exposure on the LCD not the actual exposure of the full image.

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +3 more

Well, that would explain it then. A bit disappointing, I have to say -- everything else about this camera seem so well thought-out that this is a quite odd omission.

By the way: Is there any way to get a histogram for a picture already taken? Or at least blinking highlights?

-- hide signature --

snorri

Fujifilm X20 Nikon D800
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400

Fourth position on the Display button in viewing mode

Ah yes, thank you. I hadn't found it because I was looking for it in the image info screens reachable via the main wheel.

snorri

Fujifilm X20 Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads