My first wedding shoot - D800

Started Dec 25, 2013 | Discussions
CeleryBeats
OP CeleryBeats Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Re: My first wedding shoot - D800

Rservello wrote:

Please tell me the negative space heart in the final shot ia in camera and not pp. If so, brilliant. All great shots btw.

Hi. The Photo was pretty much like that out of the camera!

Thanks for the comment.

CeleryBeats's gear list:CeleryBeats's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-5 Sony a6300 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
CeleryBeats

LunaCat Studio wrote:

Greeat photos for a first wedding!

-- hide signature --

Cheers!

Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-5 Sony a6300 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
CeleryBeats

bikinchris wrote:

Too much kissy kissy. Are they in love or lust? Nice shots otherwise.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

Love AND lust for sure

Thanks!

CeleryBeats

Daniel Lauring wrote:

amobi wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Too much kissy kissy. Are they in love or lust? Nice shots otherwise.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

More link engagement pictures than wedding.

I think they are a lot of great fun shots, but agree with these posts. They come off more as engagement shots which usually feature the couple alone, while wedding shots usually feature the couple enjoying the moment with friends and family. Perhaps there wasn't the opportunity to take the couple in more traditional friends and family ways.

Having said that, they are shots for the couple to cherish. Nice work.

Thanks for the comment! The more traditional pictures are not posted here. I agreed to share those of the couples after shoot but not the ones with all the guests and family.

CeleryBeats

nikonuserinfo wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Too much kissy kissy. Are they in love or lust?

Isn't passion, desire, lust part of love?

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

It is!

CeleryBeats

Shotcents wrote:

Good shots of a happy couple!

Robert

Thanks alot!

CeleryBeats

msjhaffey wrote:

Great shots!

I especially like how in the last one the space between them is heart shaped! Planned or a happy chance?

-- hide signature --

Sean

It was ment to be!

Thanks!

CeleryBeats

isson wrote:

neither......if you look carefully it was edited in..... probably cloned using some of the sky!

Not edited in. No cloning whatsoever!

Antal I Kozma Senior Member • Posts: 2,474

Interesting, reportage style work on the slightly erotic site. From that point of view it is OK.

Best to all, AIK

Quote from my grandfather who passed away long ago:

" I opened the doors of the closet and stepped out. Found myself in a place where I didn't belong to. Everything was upside down, everything was alien. So I stepped back, quietly closed the doors and I was back to my world where the earth was under my feet and the sky was above my head."

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
CeleryBeats

Antal I Kozma wrote:

Interesting, reportage style work on the slightly erotic site. From that point of view it is OK.

Best to all, AIK

Quote from my grandfather who passed away long ago:

" I opened the doors of the closet and stepped out. Found myself in a place where I didn't belong to. Everything was upside down, everything was alien. So I stepped back, quietly closed the doors and I was back to my world where the earth was under my feet and the sky was above my head."

Thanks for commenting.  Cheers!

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,202

CeleryBeats wrote:

Rservello wrote:

Please tell me the negative space heart in the final shot ia in camera and not pp. If so, brilliant. All great shots btw.

Hi. The Photo was pretty much like that out of the camera!

However, I disagree. Viewing 1:1 has artifacts that you made the heart in there.  There probably was a hole there, but it's clear you made it bigger and into a heart.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,301

Beautiful series.  Thanks for sharing these.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
CeleryBeats

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Beautiful series. Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers. Thanks for commenting!

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,506
From the mod: please stay on topic

Please stay on topic. This is the Nikon Fx forum. You may comment on the artistic quality (or lack thereof for some of you) of the pictures, the technique, how the gear help take the shots, etc.

But religious beliefs, whether they are supportive of same sex marriage or not, are off topic and should not be posted here.

DPreview offers an off topic forum and you are welcome to discuss your beliefs to your heart contents in that community. You may post a link to this thread if you'd like. But religious discussions will not be tolerated here.

Please do not reply to this post:

>>> Discussion of moderation in the forum is not tolerated <<<

I welcome all comments by PM.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as moderator

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Antal I Kozma Senior Member • Posts: 2,474
Re: From the mod: please stay on topic

TOF guy wrote:

Please stay on topic. This is the Nikon Fx forum. You may comment on the artistic quality (or lack thereof for some of you) of the pictures, the technique, how the gear help take the shots, etc.

But religious beliefs, whether they are supportive of same sex marriage or not, are off topic and should not be posted here.

DPreview offers an off topic forum and you are welcome to discuss your beliefs to your heart contents in that community. You may post a link to this thread if you'd like. But religious discussions will not be tolerated here.

>>> Discussion of moderation in the forum is not tolerated <<<

-- hide signature --

As photographers and visual artists we all know that there are controversial subjects. The question is; can a Moderator decide what is the line between art and offensive subject? One may see something as art, other may see the same thing as improper or offensive display.

Anyway, can one express differing opinions about a subject matter or it has to be a Moderator who decides about what can be said and what not.

One segment of participants mat say, "oh lovely".  While other may say" gee, it is pure lust expressed in these images". Can one's opinion be expressed freely while other's depressed?

Let's not hide behind the veil of  a "purely gear" forum or something like that. It is not about religion and so forth. It is about expressing differing opinions in a civilized manner.

Hope i do not get muffled for this.

Cheers, AIK:-P

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,202

Antal I Kozma wrote:

Well there have been reports of heavy handed moderators who have felt it their duty to shape the forum as they believed.

Dan Desjardins Senior Member • Posts: 1,430
Completely amazing

Ok - seriously - you have to know you struck gold (with skill, technique and opportunity) with this series - that or your are a really dumb photographer (I think NOT).

These are absolutely fantastic and you captured a sequence of images that are exactly what every couple DREAM of getting from their wedding photographer.

Wedding photography is not for the feint of heart because it takes skill, persistence and bucket loads of energy.

I'm not going to comment on the equipment used - because it doesn't matter.  Glad you used Nikon because I love my Nikon - but that's not what made these images outstanding.   I might, however, say that good tools let your creativity flow from your head, to your hands, to the canvas without impediment.

Thanks for sharing.

Des

j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,381
Re: My first wedding shoot - D800--About the images

To the OP: it seems you have natural ability working with your subjects. I agree with one of the other posters who commented that the images are less like wedding shots and more like engagement shots. A little heavy on the amorousness for my personal tastes (nothing to do with gender). But regardless, the subjects appear natural, happy, relaxed--so very nice work on that count.

There is also a nice creativity to the images, composition, etc. These are not like every other set of wedding (or engagement) images. So again, another check mark for good instincts/talent.

As to the processing, I don't really like most of the images. They seem a bit harsh, as if they were over-sharpened or some kind of filter was applied heavily. Is there also a purposeful desaturation? Then the ones that are not so harsh, feel more out of focus rather than soft or gentle in a pleasing way. Also to my eye, the black and white processing is rather ordinary and low in contrast. This is all just my personal opinion, not intended as some sort of expert judgment, and meant to be offered constructively.

All of which is to say, great job, especially for a first shoot. You appear to have the talents that are the hardest learn. And if more sophisticated processing skills are your biggest challenge, lucky you.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df
Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Antal I Kozma wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

DPreview offers an off topic forum and you are welcome to discuss your beliefs to your heart contents in that community. You may post a link to this thread if you'd like. But religious discussions will not be tolerated here.

>>> Discussion of moderation in the forum is not tolerated <<<

-- hide signature --

As photographers and visual artists we all know that there are controversial subjects. The question is; can a Moderator decide what is the line between art and offensive subject? One may see something as art, other may see the same thing as improper or offensive display.

Anyway, can one express differing opinions about a subject matter or it has to be a Moderator who decides about what can be said and what not.

One segment of participants mat say, "oh lovely". While other may say" gee, it is pure lust expressed in these images". Can one's opinion be expressed freely while other's depressed?

Let's not hide behind the veil of a "purely gear" forum or something like that. It is not about religion and so forth. It is about expressing differing opinions in a civilized manner.

Cheers, AIK:-P

The problem was the hateful off topic posts. Discuss the images, not your beliefs.

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49019071@N03/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2334596/
* Sensitive Internet User Disclaimer: All opinions are my own and are not meant to offend you or damage your precious beliefs.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
RedCanoe Forum Member • Posts: 54

Jeroen,

Great photography.  I viewed your website and your color and b&w photos are stunning.  I shot my first wedding in 1976.  The couple were in their 80's.  Hope that you do more weddings.  You are a natural.  If this wedding was shot in Belgium, how did you get a sunny day?

Bruce

RedCanoe's gear list:RedCanoe's gear list
Pentax Q7 Nikon D3 Pentax 645D Nikon D800 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads