My first wedding shoot - D800

Started Dec 25, 2013 | Discussions
CeleryBeats
OP CeleryBeats Contributing Member • Posts: 877
Re: My first wedding shoot - D800

low3llSD wrote:

Wow. Excellent work. These images are engaging and they look so natural posing for you meaning you did your job we'll and I'm sure they enjoyed you capturing their special moment.

As a straight guy, these photos were damn hot. Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure! Thanks for the comment!

CeleryBeats's gear list:CeleryBeats's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-5 Sony a6300 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
CeleryBeats

brick33308 wrote:

That's your first wedding??! Outstanding, so much better than the usual wedding fare. keep doing weddings, clearly that style of shooting is a strong suit for you!

First time absolutely. Appreciate the compliment!

Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-5 Sony a6300 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
CeleryBeats

GHP wrote:

Firstly, well done on your first wedding.You have done a great job in capturing the joy and the love between the couple, which is the biggest and most important part of a wedding photographer's mission.

Photographically, I think there is a bit of inconsistancy in the processing style of the images.

They are all great images, but as a photographer I think it's important to have your own style with regard to the way your images look. I know, this will come over time, and eventually it will evolve into your "trademark" style, which means your images will become unique to you, and will make you stand out from the crowd.

This is not said to take anything away from what you did, but said in a friendly way which hopefully will give you something to help you grow.

Going from these images, you certainly have the "eye" for it, and I wish you all the success in the future.

Cheers,

Gary.

Hi!

Thanks for your input. I agree very much with the points you make. Still having a hard time to stick with a particular type of processing.

Cheers!

peterclark55 Senior Member • Posts: 2,379

Very expressive and original pictures of a very happy couple, Peter

evaradi Regular Member • Posts: 211
Brave and brllliant

Brave for the subject, brlliant for its execution.

lorenzo de medici Regular Member • Posts: 206

I agree with all the favorable comments about your work.  You said that the D800 worked well for you.  I was wondering what lenses you used.  The only focal lengths I see are 50 and 85, which could be a midrange zoom or two primes.  I have not had good luck with my 24-85mm zoom although some like theirs.  The f/2.8 midrange zoom seems much better to me, but it only goes to 70mm.  So what lenses worked well for you during this shoot?  Thanks for any reply.

lorenzo de medici's gear list:lorenzo de medici's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Rservello
Rservello Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

Please tell me the negative space heart in the final shot ia in camera and not pp. If so, brilliant. All great shots btw.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
LunaCat Studio New Member • Posts: 3

Greeat photos for a first wedding!

-- hide signature --
bikinchris
bikinchris Forum Pro • Posts: 21,529

Too much kissy kissy. Are they in love or lust? Nice shots otherwise.

-- hide signature --

"Transport is a subtly political business. Left-wingers like trains
(central planning, low fuel consumption, largely egalitarian seating).
Right-wingers like cars (freedom, independence, individualism). Only
the bicycle crosses the political divide: it embodies both liberty
and equality." This is the first paragraph from a short article titled
"The Bicycle is Best" by Emma Duncan

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
amobi
amobi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,116

bikinchris wrote:

More link engagement pictures than wedding.

Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

Good shots of a happy couple!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
JWReagan Regular Member • Posts: 183

CeleryBeats wrote:

GHP wrote:

Firstly, well done on your first wedding.You have done a great job in capturing the joy and the love between the couple, which is the biggest and most important part of a wedding photographer's mission.

Photographically, I think there is a bit of inconsistancy in the processing style of the images.

They are all great images, but as a photographer I think it's important to have your own style with regard to the way your images look. I know, this will come over time, and eventually it will evolve into your "trademark" style, which means your images will become unique to you, and will make you stand out from the crowd.

This is not said to take anything away from what you did, but said in a friendly way which hopefully will give you something to help you grow.

Going from these images, you certainly have the "eye" for it, and I wish you all the success in the future.

Cheers,

Gary.

Hi!

Thanks for your input. I agree very much with the points you make. Still having a hard time to stick with a particular type of processing.

Cheers!

Hopefully you continue having a hard time sticking with one style of processing. Portfolios filled with images processed in the same way are very boring to look at, if nothing else it makes the photographer look lazy. I think every image should be looked at on it's own and processed accordingly. You did an amazing job, first wedding or not.

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
lorenzo de medici Regular Member • Posts: 206

I looked again and they are all 85mm except for one 50mm.  Your equipment list includes the 50 and 85mm Nikkors.  So I'll assume that's what you used.   The results were great.

lorenzo de medici's gear list:lorenzo de medici's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
msjhaffey Senior Member • Posts: 1,468

Great shots!

I especially like how in the last one the space between them is heart shaped!  Planned or a happy chance?

-- hide signature --

Sean

msjhaffey's gear list:msjhaffey's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
CeleryBeats

lorenzo de medici wrote:

I looked again and they are all 85mm except for one 50mm. Your equipment list includes the 50 and 85mm Nikkors. So I'll assume that's what you used. The results were great.

Hi and thanks. I used only the 50 and 85mm indeed for the whole wedding. I had the 50 during the ceremony and switched to the 85 for the rest of day.

They did a really fine job and i felt really comfy using just those 2 primes/focal lengths.

CeleryBeats

Hopefully you continue having a hard time sticking with one style of processing. Portfolios filled with images processed in the same way are very boring to look at, if nothing else it makes the photographer look lazy. I think every image should be looked at on it's own and processed accordingly. You did an amazing job, first wedding or not.

Thanks alot. I do agree with you on the processing thing. Personally i love to process and in no way could i apply one style to all of the work i do. I mean i could but i don't want to!

But to have a particular touch to your images from a business point of view is a good thing i guess. But so far i didn't have any issue's getting clients with the way i work.

CeleryBeats
Re: Brave and brllliant

evaradi wrote:

Brave for the subject, brlliant for its execution.

Cheers!

nikonuserinfo Regular Member • Posts: 278

bikinchris wrote:

Too much kissy kissy. Are they in love or lust?

Isn't passion, desire, lust part of love?

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

nikonuserinfo's gear list:nikonuserinfo's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D810 +1 more
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342

amobi wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

More link engagement pictures than wedding.

I think they are a lot of great fun shots, but agree with these posts. They come off more as engagement shots which usually feature the couple alone, while wedding shots usually feature the couple enjoying the moment with friends and family. Perhaps there wasn't the opportunity to take the couple in more traditional friends and family ways.

Having said that, they are shots for the couple to cherish. Nice work.

isson Regular Member • Posts: 254

neither......if you look carefully it was edited in..... probably cloned using some of the sky!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads