The Pentax K3 has a great price point. Wonderful functionality and better than its competitors

Started Dec 23, 2013 | Discussions
roxyroxrox New Member • Posts: 1
The Pentax K3 has a great price point. Wonderful functionality and better than its competitors

No text.

Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,983
Re: The Pentax K3 has a great price point. Wonderful functionality and better than its competitors

Agree that for the price the K3 offers a lot.

Dale

 Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096
Re: If you mean it has some better functionality

Like in-body SR that will work with any lens, adjustable low pass filter, weather sealing and all metal magnesium and aluminium body, AF down to -3ev on three cross points (Canon 6D only have it to -3EV on the centre point and it is the only rival at this feature), 8,3 fps and larger buffer, lens compatibility back to mid last century and metering with the "green" button, works in cold weather down to -10C.  Now they've started turning out limited zoom with WR and DC motors.  Interesting.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang 20mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
saralecaire Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: If you mean it has some better functionality

Unfortunately those are on paper specs which make it seems great, but in practice and resulting image quality. The Canon 6D still produces better quality results. Also hurting Pentax now is their lenses availability. The first party Pentax lenses are way too expensive and there's declining support for K-mount lenses from third parties like Sigma Tamron

Before anyone calls out Canon fan boy, I have shot with Pentax for years from the K-x, K-r, K-30, K-5. Bought the K-3 when it came out, but returned shortly after.

Have since stuck to using the Canon 6D for most shoots, not because of specs on paper, not because of brand loyalty. Plainly because the quality, consistency and flexibility of lens options makes more sense for me.

konanon
konanon Junior Member • Posts: 27
Re: If you mean it has some better functionality
2

saralecaire wrote:

The Canon 6D still produces better quality results.

Oh boy. Here we go again with the apples to oranges comparisons.

 konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,096
Re: If you mean it has some better functionality

I won't argue with you as I've always gotten great results with the 6D.  I think the OP was suggesting for features at the price point it is currently at.  And, since the 1.01 firmware for the K3 just came out you might have jumped the gun on your decision, but you have your own reasons of course.  Each camera has its strengths and weakness and they are all really good these days.

Cheers.

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony a7R II Samyang 20mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2
Suwandi Chandra Photography
Suwandi Chandra Photography Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: If you mean it has some better functionality

saralecaire wrote:

Unfortunately those are on paper specs which make it seems great, but in practice and resulting image quality. The Canon 6D still produces better quality results. Also hurting Pentax now is their lenses availability. The first party Pentax lenses are way too expensive and there's declining support for K-mount lenses from third parties like Sigma Tamron

Before anyone calls out Canon fan boy, I have shot with Pentax for years from the K-x, K-r, K-30, K-5. Bought the K-3 when it came out, but returned shortly after.

Have since stuck to using the Canon 6D for most shoots, not because of specs on paper, not because of brand loyalty. Plainly because the quality, consistency and flexibility of lens options makes more sense for me.

May I know which lenses that you use for Canon and Pentax that make you conclude that 6D is better in image quality than K-3?

Did you shoot Jpeg or Raw?

And since the OP mention about price point, I have to point out the price too.

Here are my consideration before getting K-3 instead of Canon system. K-3 is cheaper as per Amazon website 6D body only (USD1799), K-3 (USD 1099) of course you can say about the full frame and APS-C as your argument, but I can also state the Weather sealing, that in itself is great stuff to have (I can shoot in below freezing environment and rainy day without worry). And 8.3fps burst, etc. Oh 1 big thing for me is the 97% viewfinder coverage for 6D, this is a great deal breaker if you want to compose your picture properly, because you might miss some part and it will make your 'Rule of Third' composition way off and you need to do cropping which will decrease your Full-Frame sensor. (I'm surprise why Canon can't do 100% coverage like Pentax did, I guess I have taken this for granted until I use my student 60D (96%) and find out the composition is way off when PP) Anyway I hope you get my point here.

And since I love landscape photography I need great wide angle lens, for canon 24-70 f/2.8L II (USD2299) and for Pentax I would just take 16-50 f/2.8 (USD1030), ok for this one you can say all the bad thing about the SDM, but since we are talking about the image quality, this lenses can give you great and very sharp quality and half the price. Ok, to make it even in price, I will just throw in used DA 12-24mm f/4 lens. This lens is crazily sharp. Checkout my website 'News' Section for my latest work with K-3 and both lenses.

I would like to know this because before K-3 released, I consider Canon system just for their L lenses. But, since the removal of AA filter I don't see Pentax can't produce better quality and sharp result anymore and not to mention the K-3 white balance is extremely good (Considering how bad K10D white balance is :)) if you really work on it, in my case I use DCU 5 to unlock all the white balance and color before doing the processing in lightroom 5.3.

I'm not trying to start any argument, I just want to be fair to all of the camera brand, for me if something good I will say so but with valid argument. I can also say my iPhone 4S produce great image quality too, since It has so far produced 3 photos which got published in inflight magazines.

Sorry for the long write up. I hope you don't mind

Anyway just keep on shooting and Happy Holidays!

It's almost Christmas so Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

 Suwandi Chandra Photography's gear list:Suwandi Chandra Photography's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a7 III Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Apple iPhone X +7 more
emem
emem Veteran Member • Posts: 4,430
What a strange first post - Mr roxyroxrox - very odd (n/t)
1
-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

 emem's gear list:emem's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D300S Nikon D750 +12 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,245
Re: What a strange first post - Mr roxyroxrox - very odd (n/t)

emem wrote:

Thats what i thought, alarm bells ringing check posting history nothing newbie plus no response could be a spammer, just my gut feeling.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271
Re: If you mean it has some better functionality

konanon wrote:

saralecaire wrote:

The Canon 6D still produces better quality results.

Oh boy. Here we go again with the apples to oranges comparisons.

?? with Canon's DR it more like sows ear to silk purse

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271
Re: What a strange first post - Mr roxyroxrox - very odd (n/t)

emem wrote:

Its Christmas time Mike what better time to wade in feet first

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,271
Re: What a strange first post - Mr roxyroxrox - very odd (n/t)

ASR45 wrote:

emem wrote:

Thats what i thought, alarm bells ringing check posting history nothing newbie plus no response could be a spammer, just my gut feeling.

I suspect not spammer more light blue touch paper and watch the fireworks .

There are many in this and other forums who would think that a grown up and responsible thing todo create ringer and post flame bait.

-- hide signature --

Mike McEnaney. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-x Olympus PEN E-PM2 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads