GX7 doesn't feel as solid as GF1

Started Dec 23, 2013 | Discussions
New Daddy Regular Member • Posts: 464
GX7 doesn't feel as solid as GF1

Ever since I got my GX7, I've been in love with it. It ticks almost all the boxes that were not filled by my previous Panasonic m4/3.

Then, just today, I was sorting through my camera drawer and happened to take a good look at GF1. Boy, that is a really awesome-looking camera. And the build - it feels far more solid that GX7! Everyone says how GX7 is the rightful heir to GF1, but I don't know. GX7 has lots of bells and whistles, but its body looks more plasticky. (I tapped my finger on the chassis of each, and while GF1 definitely sounds like metal, I'm not sure about GX7. It may be plastic.) If Panasonic skimped on the material purely to save cost, it will be a shame.

Speaking of which, how does Olympus E-P5 feel, build-wise? More metal like GF1 or more plasticky like GX7?

New Daddy's gear list:New Daddy's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus TG-820 iHS Nikon D40 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +7 more
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photo perzon
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,648
Re: GX7 doesn't feel as solid as GF1

New Daddy wrote:

Ever since I got my GX7, I've been in love with it. It ticks almost all the boxes there were not filled by my previous Panasonic m4/3.

Then, just today, I was sorting through my camera drawer and happened to take a good look at GF1. Boy, that is a really awesome-looking camera. And the build - it feels far more solid that GX7! Everyone says how GX7 is the rightful heir to GF1, but I don't know. GX7 has lots of bells and whistles, but its body looks more plasticky. (I tapped my finger on the chassis of each, and while GF1 definitely sounds like metal, I'm not sure about GX7. It may really be GX7.) If Panasonic skimped on the material purely to save cost, it will be a shame.

Speaking of which, how does Olympus E-P5 feel like, build-wise? More metal like GF1 or more plasticky like GX7?

All the Olympus bodies feel quite solid.

I agree the GF1 felt also solid.  So does the GM1.

The GX7 feels too light, not dense enough.  And the shutter is loud.  (Never used the quiet option.)  But the bounce flash is great.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Apple iPhone X
mrmiguel
mrmiguel Regular Member • Posts: 192

Ever since I got my GX7, I've been in love with it. It ticks almost all the boxes there were not filled by my previous Panasonic m4/3.

Then, just today, I was sorting through my camera drawer and happened to take a good look at GF1. Boy, that is a really awesome-looking camera. And the build - it feels far more solid that GX7! Everyone says how GX7 is the rightful heir to GF1, but I don't know. GX7 has lots of bells and whistles, but its body looks more plasticky. (I tapped my finger on the chassis of each, and while GF1 definitely sounds like metal, I'm not sure about GX7. It may really be GX7.)  If Panasonic skimped on the material purely to save cost, it will be a shame.

Speaking of which, how does Olympus E-P5 feel like, build-wise? More metal like GF1 or more plasticky like GX7?

The E-P5 feels like a tank compared to the GX-7.

I personally like the GX-7, and may end up getting one when it goes end of life. The chassis of the panasonic is magnesium I thought. It seems like the outer materials let it down, which appears to be a common complaint.

mrmiguel's gear list:mrmiguel's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha a7 III Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,701

Don't have the P5 but have the E-P3 and the P2 before it. The build quality is outstanding and I'm so happy with the P3 I can't bring myself to replace it. It's my portable for taverns/restaurants, always with me. The E-M5 is my main µ4/3 cam and it continues to amaze me.

Never had the GF1 'cause I went the Oly route, but it's a legend in many ways for sure. It may not feel quite as solid, but the GX7 is the quintessential µ4/3 rangefinder right now IMO.

-- hide signature --

Dave

mrmiguel
mrmiguel Regular Member • Posts: 192

Couldn't resist since you mentioned the E-P5

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bicyclelad/11509598344/

mrmiguel's gear list:mrmiguel's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha a7 III Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +9 more
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,688

I haven't had a GF1 for years, but every time I pick up my GX7 (20mm1.7 attached) my first thought is about what a solid hefty camera it is.  Coming from a Sony NEX-6 I was surprised at the substantial feel of the GX7.

I guess we all relate differently.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
binauralbeats Forum Member • Posts: 73

Looks to be made of magnesium...

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/612/518/html/007.jpg.html

-- hide signature --

-Really there is a God... And She loves you and wants you to buy camera gear!

Jason Elander Regular Member • Posts: 133

mrmiguel wrote:

Then, just today, I was sorting through my camera drawer and happened to take a good look at GF1. Boy, that is a really awesome-looking camera. And the build - it feels far more solid that GX7! Everyone says how GX7 is the rightful heir to GF1, but I don't know. GX7 has lots of bells and whistles, but its body looks more plasticky. (I tapped my finger on the chassis of each, and while GF1 definitely sounds like metal, I'm not sure about GX7. It may really be GX7.) If Panasonic skimped on the material purely to save cost, it will be a shame.

The E-P5 feels like a tank compared to the GX-7.

I personally like the GX-7, and may end up getting one when it goes end of life. The chassis of the panasonic is magnesium I thought. It seems like the outer materials let it down, which appears to be a common complaint.

Too bad the E-P5 is massively overpriced.

Jason Elander's gear list:Jason Elander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
jpds Regular Member • Posts: 127

I believe this is something of a perception. Let me explain...

I've owned the GF1 from about month 1 of its release. When I first had the opportunity to hold an OMD EM5 in hands I thought it felt like a toy.

On Christmas last year, I actually upgraded to the EM5, and for half a year, I had the opportunity to realize how wrong I was. The EM5 is a solid camera, some buttons are too small, but it's a choice I never regretted. Unfortunately, it got stolen... And I replaced it with the GX7, the EP5 w/o EVF was my second choice.

No perception of fragility on first contact, it felt good in hand, certainly more "heavy" than I anticipated.

My point is that there may be something about the materials and their ability to change the "factor of form", with a harder, more elastic/resilient material, you may design tinier buttons, thiner levers, that may give a perception of lower strength, but that first impression does not live to the day-to-day experience.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre

Lensahand Junior Member • Posts: 33

I've owned a GF1 from release and I'm yet to move on from it, but the GX7 looks like the obvious replacement if I had the funds.

Seeing the huge depreciation of my GF1 has put me off being an early adopter, and I do think it's a classic design - I've had several comments from people saying what a fine looking camera it is. It's also a very solid feeling piece of kit indeed - I felt like it was worth every penny of the £700 I spent on it. Worth £60 now second hand...absolute bargain!

Buzz_A New Member • Posts: 7

I don't own a GX7 (yet) but have had a GF1 from release. It's been through some rough tumbles with me while hiking (slipped and almost fell off a cliff, with camera and 14-140 on wrist strap, SLAMMED camera against rock face while saving myself, only scratched camera). It's a solid well built camera. I also have a G5 and a GH1, both feel much less sturdy, but have held up just as well, to just about the same level of abuse. (I take them places where you just can't baby them).

I think we all need to stop going by the "it feels solid" method of judging build quality.

The newer materials (often plastics) are stronger, lighter, and more resistant to permanent damage. (they flex, then flex back, when metal would deform permanently or break).

This perception of solidity is so desirable to consumers that manufacturers are adding useless weights to products to give them a solid "feel." This is NOT what we want! There are even a couple of all plastic lenses that are sleeved in metal to give them more curb appeal.

While I get that (I really love the feel of some of my old manual lenses). I don't want that in my bag dragging my shoulder down all day.

Trust the plastic. Embrace the plastic. Stop begging for 1970's tech. It wasn't really that good, even though it felt nice in the hand.

End rant.

Buzz

Buzz_A's gear list:Buzz_A's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Isacas Contributing Member • Posts: 604

I also feel that the GX7 feels solid.... and I also have an EM5. It has the right weight for me. The whole point of MICRO 4/3 is to make small, light, high quality (we hope) cameras.

Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
Chas2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,502
Re: GX7 doesn't feel as solid as GF1...Magnesium Alloy

chassis of the GX7 is stronger and lighter than the GF1 construction, but it does not have the mass (and feeling of weight) that the GF1 has.  In theory, the mag alloy is superior materials in strength to weight ratio of the GF1 aluminum alloy.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +12 more
happypoppeye
happypoppeye Veteran Member • Posts: 3,894

New Daddy wrote:

Ever since I got my GX7, I've been in love with it. It ticks almost all the boxes that were not filled by my previous Panasonic m4/3.

Then, just today, I was sorting through my camera drawer and happened to take a good look at GF1. Boy, that is a really awesome-looking camera. And the build - it feels far more solid that GX7! Everyone says how GX7 is the rightful heir to GF1, but I don't know. GX7 has lots of bells and whistles, but its body looks more plasticky. (I tapped my finger on the chassis of each, and while GF1 definitely sounds like metal, I'm not sure about GX7. It may be plastic.) If Panasonic skimped on the material purely to save cost, it will be a shame.

Speaking of which, how does Olympus E-P5 feel, build-wise? More metal like GF1 or more plasticky like GX7?

The GF1 has top go down as one of the most prolific digital cameras ever produced. Still to this day people are still using it and producing spectacular results and honestly, it's really never been copied ...Panny tried, but for some reason the GF1 had the mojo that no other s have.

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,082

New Daddy wrote:

I agree. The GF-1 was the best handling and feeling camera I have owned and now they are practically giving them away.

-- hide signature --

Russell Smith
Eternity was in that moment.

safaridon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321

binauralbeats wrote:

Looks to be made of magnesium...

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/612/518/html/007.jpg.html

-- hide signature --

-Really there is a God... And She loves you and wants you to buy camera gear!

Thanks for posting this picture for those who apparently don't think the GX7 is constructed of metal.  I thought that the reason for some of the comments was the GX7 same as many other cameras these days are using a lighter weight aluminum allow top cover and bottom which feels tinier.  As PDR has mentioned the stronger strength/weight mag alloy although light is quite expensive  compared to aluminum alloy hence certainly not indication of a cheap build just the opposite.  I admit I love a metal body on most of my cameras and have a GF1 and they are very very durable.

safaridon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321

Lensahand wrote:

I've owned a GF1 from release and I'm yet to move on from it, but the GX7 looks like the obvious replacement if I had the funds.

Seeing the huge depreciation of my GF1 has put me off being an early adopter, and I do think it's a classic design - I've had several comments from people saying what a fine looking camera it is. It's also a very solid feeling piece of kit indeed - I felt like it was worth every penny of the £700 I spent on it. Worth £60 now second hand...absolute bargain!

The problem with the GF1 was not the excellent camera in general but rather the noisy sensor at higher ISOs.  I wish Pany would put their latest sensor in the GF1.

khunstuart Regular Member • Posts: 130

nevada5 wrote:

I haven't had a GF1 for years, but every time I pick up my GX7 (20mm1.7 attached) my first thought is about what a solid hefty camera it is. Coming from a Sony NEX-6 I was surprised at the substantial feel of the GX7.

-- hide signature --

I couldn't agree moreā€¦.

If the GX-7 feels inferior to a GF-1 then that must have been on hell of a camera.

I think the GX-7 has the best build quality of any camera I have used for a long while.

khunstuart's gear list:khunstuart's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925

nevada5 wrote:

I haven't had a GF1 for years, but every time I pick up my GX7 (20mm1.7 attached) my first thought is about what a solid hefty camera it is. Coming from a Sony NEX-6 I was surprised at the substantial feel of the GX7.

-- hide signature --

I have owned and tried a multitude of mirror-less cameras and have no issue with the build quality of the GX7.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Ricardo Maia Regular Member • Posts: 183

My first m4/3 camera was a GX1 and it felt a very well built camera.

Then came a GF1 (which was planned to be sold from the beginning) attached to a 20mm lens. First time I picked it, it just felt right: size, weight. Never thought it was such a nice camera. Only could be better it it used the metal buttons the GX1 has.

The GX1 is gone, the GF1 is still with me, in spite of the much better quality of the GX1 images.

I've tried the GX7, and it also felt a very well built camera. But with tilting EVF and LCD, it always feels more fragile.

Ricardo Maia's gear list:Ricardo Maia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon PowerShot G12 Fujifilm X100S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads