A55: Shutter failing or battery fail?

Started Dec 22, 2013 | Questions
EXX
EXX Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
A55: Shutter failing or battery fail?

Yesterday I experienced the following: I was preparing for a photo shoot and switched on the A55. I thought I had charged both the main (original Sony) as well as the backup (some no-name el-cheapo) battery. However, the camera gave a short click and was completely dead. The main battery was in the camera. I took it out and inserted it again. Nothing, not even de usual sounds you get.

I took off the lens and flipped the mirror up and saw that the shutter was closed. Now what... I inserted the backip battery and the camera worked again. Seemed I did not charge the main battery at all.

Whilst doing the photo shoot, I kept an eye on the charge of the battery. I am sure that it was still around 50% full, when the camera died. Like before, the shutter was closed.

Returning home, I put the main battery in the charger, only to note that charging was finished very quickly. So the battery was full after all. I put it in the camera: nothing.

Then i charged the backup battery and put it in: camera working as it should.

In the meantime I did some searching on the internet and found that the A33/55 models have problem with failing shutters after arounf 15000 exposures. Sounds around right: I checked the shutter count on my A55 and it shows around 15000 exposures / 30000 shutter movements.

What can I conclude from this?

1. Is the shutter fail in progress?
  2. Is my main battery broken?
  3. Does my backup battery have considerable less capacity then what it should be?

Any input should help.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A55
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chimere
Chimere Senior Member • Posts: 1,662
Shutter failing or battery fail?

Batteries OK ? If the battery does not accept any charge it does not mean that it is charged. Batteries at the end of their life cycle often do not accept charges anymore. However, the A55 will show the battery charge level.

Maybe your charger has a problem ?

A stuck / dragging shutter curtain may cause fast discharge of the battery.

Is the exposure of your images always close to 100% ? A damaged shutter should show irregularities in the exposure value.

Ask Sony service what the charge is for a shutter unit replacement. I had this done once (under warranty) and it did not appear to me to be a big issue.

Chimere

Chimere's gear list:Chimere's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
EXX
OP EXX Senior Member • Posts: 1,189
Re: Shutter failing or battery fail?

Chimere wrote:

Batteries OK ? If the battery does not accept any charge it does not mean that it is charged. Batteries at the end of their life cycle often do not accept charges anymore. However, the A55 will show the battery charge level.

The A55 will not work at all withe the main (original) battery, but works fine with the backup (el-cheapo) battery.

Maybe your charger has a problem ?

I can recharge the backup battery without problems, so I do not think the charger is the problem.

A stuck / dragging shutter curtain may cause fast discharge of the battery.

Is the exposure of your images always close to 100% ? A damaged shutter should show irregularities in the exposure value.

Exposures are fine, no problems there.

Ask Sony service what the charge is for a shutter unit replacement. I had this done once (under warranty) and it did not appear to me to be a big issue.

Chimere

Ok, thanks.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads