RX10 lens stabilation problem

Started Dec 21, 2013 | Questions
Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,951
RX10 lens stabilation problem

I have considered to buy a RX10 but I think there might be an issue.

In RX10 handheld clips I see strange micro vibration. Big movements are stabilized very well but little vibration jitter is still there. I dont know where it comes (vimeo or YT recompression or 60/30p conversion?). I saw same kind of vibration in my friends NEX5 and NEX6 video. It is kind of disturbing in big plasma screen. Can you guys see it? It is though hard to see because everyone are so exited about RX10 fine zoom that these videos are hardly any time still and steady.

Every time I see steady Sony shots I figured tripod use or editor stabilation.

Many of you have this RX10. Have you figured anything of issue I told?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zoran K Contributing Member • Posts: 770
Re: RX10 lens stabilation problem

Vesku wrote:

In RX10 handheld clips I see strange micro vibration. Big movements are stabilized very well but little vibration jitter is still there. I dont know where it comes (vimeo or YT recompression or 60/30p conversion?). I saw same kind of vibration in my friends NEX5 and NEX6 video. It is kind of disturbing in big plasma screen. Can you guys see it? It is though hard to see because everyone are so exited about RX10 fine zoom that these videos are hardly any time still and steady.

Every time I see steady Sony shots I figured tripod use or editor stabilation.

Many of you have this RX10. Have you figured anything of issue I told?

Maybe something like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5It6M8dv1k&feature=youtu.be

OP Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,951

Is this RX10?? Or some Sony. That looks very bad. But anyway something liket hat but not so obvious.

Vesku wrote:

Is this RX10?? Or some Sony. That looks very bad. But anyway something liket hat but not so obvious.

Yes, it is RX10. I am not talking about that bad light flickering, but about the fine shimmering specifically noticeable in the first part of the video. That must be result of the lens stabilization hard work to compensate for bad handling of the camera.

I have nothing like this in my gh3 and panasonic lenses.

Biological_Viewfinder Senior Member • Posts: 2,207

Vesku wrote:

Can you guys see it? It is though hard to see

Here you are Mr. Vesku, your brand new Ferrari. Enjoy!

What? What do you mean there's an issue that's difficult to notice?

Huh? There's a slight rattle when you're going exactly 48mph?

You don't want the car because of this thing that almost no one can notice?

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Vesku wrote:

I also didn't noticed that watching the video from my friend's hacked GH3... video, that compared to the one from my Nikon V1, look like 4K recording.

Zoran K wrote:

Vesku wrote:

I also didn't noticed that watching the video from my friend's hacked GH3... video, that compared to the one from my Nikon V1, look like 4K recording.

Hmm.. GH3 is not hacked yet... I dont get what you are meaning, GH3 is not that good.

Some has said that RX10 has better video than GH3 and I can confirm that RX10 resampling is better than GH3s. Ultimate resolution at least in luminance is a bit better in RX10.

I think that many will buy RX10 for its video capabilities. If there is a vibration problem I think it is serious matter. I dont want to stabilize every clip in editor. I dont have RX10 so I cant study this issue more.

And for that Ferrari guy I say that I would be worried if one of Ferraris tyres vibrates when driving 300km/h in track.

PC Wheeler
PC Wheeler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,511

Zoran K wrote:

Vesku wrote:

Hacked GH2 perhaps?

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 IV

PC Wheeler wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

Vesku wrote:

Hacked GH2 perhaps?

-- hide signature --

Phil

Yes GH2, my mistake.

We compared video recordings (same objects at the same tame) of our cameras on a big LCD screen ... V1 was simply outclassed.    I have never ever seen better video recording of any digital photo or video camera. Simply breathtaking.

Zoran K wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

Vesku wrote:

Hacked GH2 perhaps?

-- hide signature --

Phil

Yes GH2, my mistake.

We compared video recordings (same objects at the same tame) of our cameras on a big LCD screen ... V1 was simply outclassed. I have never ever seen better video recording of any digital photo or video camera. Simply breathtaking.

Ok great but what is this doing with original topic?

Please can someone test this issue for me? Am I just worrying for nothing?

Vesku wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

PC Wheeler wrote:

Zoran K wrote:

Vesku wrote:

Hacked GH2 perhaps?

-- hide signature --

Phil

Yes GH2, my mistake.

We compared video recordings (same objects at the same tame) of our cameras on a big LCD screen ... V1 was simply outclassed. I have never ever seen better video recording of any digital photo or video camera. Simply breathtaking.

Ok great but what is this doing with original topic?

Please can someone test this issue for me? Am I just worrying for nothing?

OK, I noticed that shimmering occasionally on a linked video and I believe that this artifact can be minimize or totally avoid with careful camera handling.

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,147
Geez...why don't you stop writing these posts and just buy an RX10?

If you don't like it, sell it. Don't expect other people to do your testing for you.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
inti4444 Senior Member • Posts: 1,103

Bad handling, I made this video I cannot say that I handled the camera bad, all shots were taken without tripod.

Re: Geez...why don't you stop writing these posts and just buy an RX10?

Corkcampbell wrote:

If you don't like it, sell it. Don't expect other people to do your testing for you.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Sorry if I am asking for Knowledge.

I thougt this Knowledge may be helpful for others too...

Biological_Viewfinder Senior Member • Posts: 2,207
I can SEE!!!

Vesku wrote:

Cant you see it?

https://vimeo.com/82513652

https://vimeo.com/81056018

I can see that the Sony Rx10 is not a $2500 camera, even though you so desperately want it to be.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

RnF Regular Member • Posts: 442

There are three settings for Stabilization for Movie Mode.

Active

Standard

Off

If I was to guess, these videos had the option for Active enabled.  It slightly crops the image if I understand it correctly, basically the same way software IS correction does it.  It's possible that is what you are seeing.

Having the camera set to Standard or turning off the IS completely would most likely solve this issue.  Don't you want to turn the IS off anyway if you are serious about videos and use a really nice tripod?

RnF's gear list:RnF's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
fototakas New Member • Posts: 21

@Vesku

As RnF is saying, we don't know what stabilization setting was used on those videos.

Another cause of such micro stutters can be from frame rate conversion, that must be done if you are trying to play it on TV or PC monitor that is set to different frame rate comparing to the filmed video frame rate. To avoid such problems, TV or Monitor should be set to the same frame rate as filmed video: if video is 24fps -> TV or monitor should be set to 24fps, video 50fps > TV 50fps and so on... Good media players should do this switching automatically, but usually is not the case for PC media player!

Another one. Nothing to do with framerates with this one. I see careless shooting but stabilizer should work better in my opinion.

http://vimeo.com/81309723

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads