Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Polls
OP peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

So what? D610 is still a good camera, far better than anything on the list. And t5i IS on the list - you can vote for it if you think it is worse than SL1.

The reason I gave for the D610 is exactly the same as the reason you gave for the T5i being "definitely in the running." So what? T5i is still a good camera, the sensor in it won Best of the Year with TIPA when it was in the T2i.

It was 4 years ago. Now, in 2013, it is the worst. The price of not investing in R&D.

Probably the dumbest and most biased poll ever, I wish I could retract any earlier comments I took part in here.

Biased poll? It is a poll for god's sake. It is not mine or somebody's bias, a lot of people voted.

Bill Robb Veteran Member • Posts: 3,332

peevee1 wrote:

I agree, it is not bad. Although IBIS does not work with OVF separate focusing and metering sensors - great technology for mirrorless misplaced into a DSLR.

IBIS has been around since before mirrorless cameras came into mainstream. The advantage of IBIS is every lens benefits from it, not just the ones with stabilizers built in. This is not misplaced technology.

Bill Robb wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I agree, it is not bad. Although IBIS does not work with OVF separate focusing and metering sensors - great technology for mirrorless misplaced into a DSLR.

IBIS has been around since before mirrorless cameras came into mainstream. The advantage of IBIS is every lens benefits from it, not just the ones with stabilizers built in. This is not misplaced technology.

I understand the advantages. But with OVF and separate metering and focusing sensors, in-lens stabilization has its advantages too. With mirrorless, it has none.

Looks like Canon won in the landslide, despite splitting the votes between 2 viable candidates.

It is not necessarily wrong from the business perspective given that both cameras have very little costs (practically 0 R&D costs, all old components) - meaning they are serving even lower-cost market with their Rebel line. No wonder 2013 model - SL1 - is well below $400 already, with lens - they can afford it.

Jake64
Jake64 Contributing Member • Posts: 742

T5i all the way. At least the SL1 is small and some people may want that. But who wants a camera that's hardly different than its two predecessors.

Jake64's gear list:Jake64's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C
waxwaine
waxwaine Contributing Member • Posts: 997

Pentax K-500 imho is the best entry level DSLR ever made, specially for students. I believe once you have it, could be very difficult to find another more convinient(price/performance) camera to upgrade to.

Kool Nelson Junior Member • Posts: 49

I voted for 700D as it almost has no change compared with the 650D. It should named as 651D!.

Kool Nelson wrote:

I voted for 700D as it almost has no change compared with the 650D. It should named as 651D!.

So what? K-50 has almost no changes compared to K-30 too, and K-500 is even made worse by removal of weather sealing. Of course, 2012 k-30 was better than 2012 t4i to begin with, so the relationship of badge-engineered copies remains. But the SL1 is 4 y/o t2i with smaller battery, less ergonomic body and one mic removed. It is obviously even worse than t4i/t5i.

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577

peevee1 wrote:

Kool Nelson wrote:

So what? K-50 has almost no changes compared to K-30 too, and K-500 is even made worse by removal of weather sealing. Of course, 2012 k-30 was better than 2012 t4i to begin with, so the relationship of badge-engineered copies remains. But the SL1 is 4 y/o t2i with smaller battery, less ergonomic body and one mic removed. It is obviously even worse than t4i/t5i.

At the price of the k-500 no one misses the sealing. I do miss the 1 dollar focus confirmation light.

BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS

BarnET wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

Kool Nelson wrote:

At the price of the k-500 no one misses the sealing. I do miss the 1 dollar focus confirmation light.

Pentax was acquiring the image of a brand with every DSLR sealed. By releasing k-500, they diluted their brand image. And it is not as cheap as current market prices for bottom of the drawer DSLRs from Canon and Nikon.

Lord metroid
Lord metroid Regular Member • Posts: 476

I can't believe so many voted for the Canon EOS 100D to be the worst DSLR released in 2013. The camera is wonderful and a lot of fun to use. It got everthing I wished for in a DSLR.

I read the thread but can not find any reasoning behind your votes. I am very curious why you think it is by far the worst DSLR released in 2013.

Lord metroid's gear list:Lord metroid's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sigma dp2 Quattro
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,503

Since most peopl use only one DSLR, how is this thread even relevant?

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

Lord metroid wrote:

I can't believe so many voted for the Canon EOS 100D to be the worst DSLR released in 2013. The camera is wonderful and a lot of fun to use. It got everthing I wished for in a DSLR.

I read the thread but can not find any reasoning behind your votes. I am very curious why you think it is by far the worst DSLR released in 2013.

Because there was nothing worse released in 2013. 

Which is not surprising because 100D/SL1 is really 550D/T2i released 4 years ago, only with smaller battery/shorter battery life, weaker flash, worse ergonomics and one of its two microphones removed. Same sensor (at least performing the same according to tests and having the same number of pixels, with minor and non-working modification of having a few pixels replaced by OSPDAF), processor doing the same ~4 fps, same screen, same viewfinder...

Everybody else used the 4 years to drive ahead, while Canon actually had balls to cheapen out the old camera and charge more for it...

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577

peevee1 wrote:

Lord metroid wrote:

Because there was nothing worse released in 2013.

Which is not surprising because 100D/SL1 is really 550D/T2i released 4 years ago, only with smaller battery/shorter battery life, weaker flash, worse ergonomics and one of its two microphones removed. Same sensor (at least performing the same according to tests and having the same number of pixels, with minor and non-working modification of having a few pixels replaced by OSPDAF), processor doing the same ~4 fps, same screen, same viewfinder...

Everybody else used the 4 years to drive ahead, while Canon actually had balls to cheapen out the old camera and charge more for it...

Canon did the same with the Eos M2 passed month.

But they did at Wifi at a current premium of $450. That must be the best goldenplated wifi module ever made. #sarcasm

BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads