Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

Started Dec 20, 2013 | Polls
peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

POLL
Canon SL1 (100D)
48.8% 62  votes
Canon T5i (700D)
33.1% 42  votes
Nikon D5300
9.4% 12  votes
Pentax k-500
8.7% 11  votes
  Show results
johnierebel Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

I 2nd the nomination,

john

OP peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

In the short description of k-500 redeeming qualities, it should have been "1/6000s shutter". 

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

5 in 10 minutes.

Can we share this thread on the best gear article

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

i just did:-D

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

Shouldn't this have the same camera list as the Best of poll? If it did I would vote for either the T5i or D610, they're both the previous model repackaged and released within a year of the one before it to cover up bad PR.

Or the Sony SLT because SLT.

Just my two cents.
-Raj

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

OP peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

Shouldn't this have the same camera list as the Best of poll?

No, why would it? I was trying to list the best candidates for the worst, not the best candidates for the best.

If it did I would vote for either the T5i or D610, they're both the previous model repackaged and released within a year of the one before it to cover up bad PR.

So what? D610 is still a good camera, far better than anything on the list. And t5i IS on the list - you can vote for it if you think it is worse than SL1.

Or the Sony SLT because SLT.

Sony haven't one anything as bad as the candidates above. Although A58 is pretty bad, forgot to add it to the list, sorry.

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

peevee1 wrote:

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

Shouldn't this have the same camera list as the Best of poll?

No, why would it? I was trying to list the best candidates for the worst, not the best candidates for the best.

If it did I would vote for either the T5i or D610, they're both the previous model repackaged and released within a year of the one before it to cover up bad PR.

So what? D610 is still a good camera, far better than anything on the list. And t5i IS on the list - you can vote for it if you think it is worse than SL1.

Or the Sony SLT because SLT.

Sony haven't one anything as bad as the candidates above. Although A58 is pretty bad, forgot to add it to the list, sorry.

Then what is the k500 doing on your list. That's damn fine entry level. Hate the lack of focus lights though.

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
OP peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

BarnET wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

Shouldn't this have the same camera list as the Best of poll?

No, why would it? I was trying to list the best candidates for the worst, not the best candidates for the best.

If it did I would vote for either the T5i or D610, they're both the previous model repackaged and released within a year of the one before it to cover up bad PR.

So what? D610 is still a good camera, far better than anything on the list. And t5i IS on the list - you can vote for it if you think it is worse than SL1.

Or the Sony SLT because SLT.

Sony haven't one anything as bad as the candidates above. Although A58 is pretty bad, forgot to add it to the list, sorry.

Then what is the k500 doing on your list. That's damn fine entry level. Hate the lack of focus lights though.

I agree, it is not bad. Although IBIS does not work with OVF separate focusing and metering sensors - great technology for mirrorless misplaced into a DSLR.

I collected all the bottom DSLRs from the original DPR's "the BEST" poll. Forgot about the only DSLT - A58. But it really should be in its own category, being as close to DSLRs as to mirrorless. Would be both the best and the worst, being the only one released this year (although A99, announced in 2012, started selling only in January as far as I remember).

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

peevee1 wrote:

BarnET wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

It is basically t2i released 4 years ago (same 18 mpix sensor with minor modification of non-working OSPDAF for the cost of slightly worse performance, same ~4 fps, same or very similar pentamirror 95% 0.87x viewfinder, same screen, same shutter) but with significantly reduced battery life, weaker flash, mono mic instead of stereo and horribly unergonimic grip which is impossible to grip (too small) but also impossible to cradle in the base of the palm like a compact (too thick).

Other candidates would include:

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

Pentax k-500 (but much better battery life, good ergonomics, better flash, 2 control dials, 1/600 shutter and pentaprism VF exclude it from the competition);

Nikon D5300 (better battery life, better flash, articulated screen, better sensor and GPS save it).

Shouldn't this have the same camera list as the Best of poll?

No, why would it? I was trying to list the best candidates for the worst, not the best candidates for the best.

If it did I would vote for either the T5i or D610, they're both the previous model repackaged and released within a year of the one before it to cover up bad PR.

So what? D610 is still a good camera, far better than anything on the list. And t5i IS on the list - you can vote for it if you think it is worse than SL1.

Or the Sony SLT because SLT.

Sony haven't one anything as bad as the candidates above. Although A58 is pretty bad, forgot to add it to the list, sorry.

Then what is the k500 doing on your list. That's damn fine entry level. Hate the lack of focus lights though.

I agree, it is not bad. Although IBIS does not work with OVF separate focusing and metering sensors - great technology for mirrorless misplaced into a DSLR.

I collected all the bottom DSLRs from the original DPR's "the BEST" poll. Forgot about the only DSLT - A58. But it really should be in its own category, being as close to DSLRs as to mirrorless. Would be both the best and the worst, being the only one released this year (although A99, announced in 2012, started selling only in January as far as I remember).

That metering allows "dumb" samyang lenses to be used in shutter priority and aperture priority. Even in auto. Could not care about autofocus with a fisheye. 300 euro for an metering fisheye new

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

Canon vs Nikon 18-1

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)
2

peevee1 wrote:

ragmanjin wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

I nominate Canon SL1/100D.

Canon's own T5i (definitely in the running being just a reissue of the 2012 T4i, but better battery life, better flash and articulated screen save it from the ultimate embarrassment);

So what? D610 is still a good camera, far better than anything on the list. And t5i IS on the list - you can vote for it if you think it is worse than SL1.

The reason I gave for the D610 is exactly the same as the reason you gave for the T5i being "definitely in the running." So what? T5i is still a good camera, the sensor in it won Best of the Year with TIPA when it was in the T2i. So what's your logic again?

Probably the dumbest and most biased poll ever, I wish I could retract any earlier comments I took part in here.

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)
1

Where's the DF.

I think it will be a fine camera. It's just that it should have been elegant, built like a tank, and optimised entirely for it's purpose (eg: A focus system optimised for low light shooting.)

Instead it feels like bits of Nikon's spare parts bin, with a retro wrapping.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Veteran Member • Posts: 8,891
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)
1

There should be a lot more DSLR's listed!

 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Apple iPhone SE
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,458
Expectations...

It's not fair to nominate all the entry-level dslrs. They have their place too... Neither is it fair to expect brand-new technology to make a first appearance in budget models.

There are however high-end dslrs that fell well below expectations, with quality-control issues etc, that definitely should be nominated...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

 miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

"the sensor in it won Best of the Year with TIPA when it was in the T2i"

That was almost 4 years ago. No need to install a new sensor in every model but 5 rebel models with the same sensor is worth a nomination

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Expectations...

You mean the d600 right. Well at least it had a decent AF system.

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
starbase218 Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)
1

I also voted for the 100D, but only just. The fact that you can't see the AF points in the Pentax K-500's viewfinder is also quite stupid. But other than that, it's a good camera.

 starbase218's gear list:starbase218's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +3 more
ragmanjin
ragmanjin Contributing Member • Posts: 959
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

BarnET wrote:

"the sensor in it won Best of the Year with TIPA when it was in the T2i"

That was almost 4 years ago. No need to install a new sensor in every model but 5 rebel models with the same sensor is worth a nomination

It's been in far more than 5 rebels. T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, SL1, 60D, 7D, EOS M, EOS M2...but I'm just saying, at least they made it themselves. The K-500 is what, Pentax's 7th camera with that same 16mp Sony sensor? Doesn't mean it's a bad sensor, it means they preferred it to the other options out there for quite a while.

On the other hand, Canon can't blame anyone else's shoddy workmanship botching their sensor selection. They just got lazy.

-- hide signature --

< / sarcasm>

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,571
Re: Have your say: the WORST DSLR of 2013 (with poll this time)

I did not know the 60d 7d and eos ms were called rebels. So I thought t2i-t5i and the sl1. They are not called rebels.where I am from. I guess we both agree on their lazy part. It was a good sensor in 2009-2010 though.

 BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads